Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Please note - I DIDN'T TEST THIS. But I did run into it, so wanted to share.

As far as I know, a lot of people were already running Windows to test out game performance without issues, and I am not sure if this is a real problem or that guy just had an electrical issue when he plugged in his controler, but I wanted to give anyone doing bootcamp a heads up.

Again, no idea if this is widespread, but I certainly won't try bootcamp for some time when I get my new MBP, until I know running Windows on it is safe.

If anyone has any experience with bootcamp on the new MBP, please share your thoughts.

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
Damit, I experienced that exact Problem but it didn't occur again after it happend 2-3 times yesterday.

My Speakers seem to work but the left one seems very low volume and the right one doesn't Sound normal, the voice in the Video sounds overdriven and there is some crackling while I don't hear any distortions when watching the Video on my iPhone.

Gonna call Apple tomorrow, this is really terrible :(

EDIT: mhm, I just checked the Balance and I'm not sure the right Speaker is really louder but the right one definately sounds overdriven.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Damit, I experienced that exact Problem but it didn't occur again after it happend 2-3 times yesterday.

My Speakers seem to work but the left one seems very low volume and the right one doesn't Sound normal, the voice in the Video sounds overdriven and there is some crackling while I don't hear any distortions when watching the Video on my iPhone.

Gonna call Apple tomorrow, this is really terrible :(

Did it happen in a similar way? In bootcamp, I mean.

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
Did it happen in a similar way? In bootcamp, I mean.

Yeah, I run Bootcamp exclusively.

I installed Windows 10 and during the process I experienced the loud cracking noise 2-3 times. The Overall volume seems pretty low too and it's distorted with highs. I think there is definately something wrong it and damage was done by those cracking sounds. Definately sounded unhealthy...

I hope Apple accepts it's a product fault, I'm happy the guy in the Video used apple's Adapter and not a 3rd Party Adapter like mine. But I guess it's a Driver issue but the damage seems permanent.

Well I don't Need Audio on my MBP that much but I'll have it definately checked out or even replaced.

Reactions: aevan

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Yeah, I run Bootcamp exclusively.

I installed Windows 10 and during the process I experienced the loud cracking noise 2-3 times. The Overall volume seems pretty low too and it's distorted with highs. I think there is definately something wrong it and damage was done by those cracking sounds. Definately sounded unhealthy...

I hope Apple accepts it's a product fault, I'm happy the guy in the Video used apple's Adapter and not a 3rd Party Adapter like mine. But I guess it's a Driver issue but the damage seems permanent.

Well I don't Need Audio on my MBP that much but I'll have it definately checked out or even replaced.

Good luck. They should replace it - Windows is officially supported and using it cannot void warranty.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
I doubt that Windows are damaging speakers.

Windows is installed on millions of PCs, yet there is no widespread report of such problem.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I doubt that Windows are damaging speakers.

Windows is installed on millions of PCs, yet there is no widespread report of such problem.

Obviously, it's not Windows, but some issue with these Macbooks when running Windows. No need to alert Microsoft Defence Force, no one was attacking Windows here.

Reactions: Nermal and jgelin

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
Good luck. They should replace it - Windows is officially supported and using it cannot void warranty.

Sure, I've done nothing wrong and Windows is officially supported so it shouldn't break anything.
The only weak spot would be 3rd Party USB Dongles but on the other Hand for the guy in the Video it happened with the original Adapter.

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
Looks like an issue in the Bootcamp Windows drivers for the built-in sound card.

Yeah the updated Driver should fix it. It seems Apple is replacing affected MBPs because they are not prepared yet for repair. Fine by me other than having to Setup again but at least (hopefully) I'll get a pristine MBP.

The question however, is what happens when you install Windows from scratch. Was the faulty Driver built into Windows or was it included in the bootcamp Drivers? If it's a built-in Driver it could happen again right after Windows Setup but before the updated bootcamp Drivers are installed.

Well I'll give Apple a call tomorrow.

Aurora Wright

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2016
Yeah the updated Driver should fix it. It seems Apple is replacing affected MBPs because they are not prepared yet for repair. Fine by me other than having to Setup again but at least (hopefully) I'll get a pristine MBP.

The question however, is what happens when you install Windows from scratch. Was the faulty Driver built into Windows or was it included in the bootcamp Drivers? If it's a built-in Driver it could happen again right after Windows Setup but before the updated bootcamp Drivers are installed.

Well I'll give Apple a call tomorrow.
If the sound card is a custom one I doubt Windows Update has the driver for it already (the MBP just came out), so it should be the driver in the bootcamp package. So they updated it already?

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
If the sound card is a custom one I doubt Windows Update has the driver for it already (the MBP just came out), so it should be the driver in the bootcamp package. So they updated it already?

Yeah I read they released the new Driver yesterday and my Driver Version says 22.11.2016. I Setup my machine yesterday so I'm asking myself how exactly I got the faulty Driver when I just installed it yesterday? Mhm...

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
I DO NOT OWN THIS VIDEO!!!!!

Just got my brand new 15' Macbook Pro 2016 model high end. Thinking about installing windows 10 and having some fun with tone of games. So I just wanna be sure installing windows on the new macbook pro is still the same BOOTCAMP way. then I checked some videos on Youtube.

And I saw this video. according to this youtuber, installing windows 10 and doing some other thing (plugging game controllers on windows 10 environment) may cause the Speakers hardware failure.

If this is possible, you cant tell if you plug other things ( like keyboard, USB drive) wouldn't cause the same result. SO be careful.

When seeing this I was halfway of the installation (watched it on iPhone). I cancelled installation immediately and went back to macOS.

Dont know what will cause this and how this is possible yet but I believe telling you guys is necessary.

Thanks.

Reactions: sleconte

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
I love that Lon has an Apple IIgs behind him! VMware fusion on,y for me then!

Patrick-Photo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
As far as we know this is a single case. Could be that the controller, cable or macbook is to blame. Curious about what the cause is. Driver? Hardware? Controller?

Hoping it will stay a single case.

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
This is clearly NOT an isolated case, just Google around and you'll see numerous cases.

I got the same issue but luckily Apple will replace my MBP.

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
I called Apple and they told me I can pick up a replacement in my local Apple Store within a couple of days, they put me on a priority list because I Need it for my daily work so I won't have to wait until 30th of December for the replacement.

They'll send me a new one and I can drop off the my current one at the Apple Store after I set up the new one.

Of Course it shouldn't have happened in the first place but still I'm happy with the solution. Class act how Apple handled the failure in my case. If there is an issue with the Quality, they replace the device no questions asked. One of the reasons why I like the products so much.

Reactions: aevan

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
It'll be fixed with a Bootcamp driver update.

If this were a problem caused by hardware, we'd be seeing this in macOS as well as Windows.

Can't blame MS or Windows for this either. Apple is responsible for their own driver development, not MS. So this one is totally on Apple.

Reactions: MH01

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Seems to already have been fixed by updated bootcamp drivers that came out few days ago.

See this post:
I will be the guinea pig. Installed the new Boot Camp driver. Gonna play some Overwatch without headphones now.

Update:
So far so good. Tried Overwatch and played some YouTube videos. No buzzing sound, no pops.
However the speaker volume inside Windows is very low. Maybe that's to protect the speakers?
Switched back to Mac, volume is back to normal, no cracking. Great.

Make sure you have audio driver from 11/22 installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.