Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today announced that it is opening up the Microsoft Store for Windows to third-party storefront apps, including the Epic Games Store and the Amazon Appstore. Epic and Amazon's stores will be discoverable on the Microsoft Store for Windows and can be downloaded like any other app.

microsoft-epic-games.jpg

As a reason for the change, Microsoft said that it wants to ensure that its "business terms are fair" and also to "help promote innovation."
Our commitment to being an 'open Store for an open platform' isn't just about the various technical underpinnings of how apps are built. It's also about making sure our business terms are fair and help promote innovation. For instance, the Microsoft Store on Windows no longer requires app developers to share revenue with Microsoft, when apps manage their own in-app payment systems.

In that spirit, today we're announcing another significant update to our Microsoft Store on Windows policies, which will allow third-party storefront apps to be discoverable in the Microsoft Store on Windows.
Support for third-party app store options is what Epic Games has been pushing for in its ongoing legal battle with Apple, but Apple has no intention of implementing support for such a feature. Apple has argued that third-party app stores or sideloading apps would compromise the privacy and security of iOS devices.

Two major Apple competitors, Google and Microsoft, now support alternate app installation options on their platforms, something that could potentially sway regulators working on antitrust legislation in the United States and other countries.

Epic Games was not successful in its efforts to convince the court that Apple needs to be forced to allow alternate app stores, and Epic Games is now appealing the ruling in the Epic v. Apple lawsuit. There was one win to come out of the dispute, though, with the judge ruling that Apple must allow developers to offer a button or a link to their websites where non-in-app purchase payment options are available.

Microsoft has been involved in the ongoing antitrust investigations that Apple and Google are facing in the United States, but not on the side of the tech companies. Microsoft president Brad Smith said in June that it's time for regulators to investigate App Stores.

Back in 1999, Microsoft lost an antitrust case and was accused of maintaining a monopoly in the PC market. Microsoft was forced to submit to oversight and was required to share its APIs with third-party companies.

Article Link: Windows Microsoft Store Adds Support for Alternate App Stores Like Epic Games

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
This is clever way to stick it to Apple and Google. Microsoft probably not making a ton on their App Store and it’s not integral to their strategy. So this makes them look open and accommodating while isolating Apple and Google for attacks by competitors and politicians.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
This is clever way to stick it to Apple and Google. Microsoft probably not making a ton on their App Store and it’s not integral to their strategy. So this makes them look open and accommodating while isolating Apple and Google for attacks by competitors and politicians.
This is correct. People don't use the MS Store to make purchases nearly as often as they do on iOS and Android.

If it did, Microsoft would have never done this.

100% PR move.

This is Microsoft saying, "See, we're fair. Please don't investigate our anticompetitive practices in Office/Teams/Enterprise. Go after Apple and Google. They're the bad guys."

RyanNSkolnick

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2021
Two major Apple competitors, Google and Microsoft, now support alternate app installation options on their platforms, something that could potentially sway regulators working on antitrust legislation in the United States and other countries.
Am I the only one who thinks this would be good for Apple? One of Apple's strongest arguments is that their walled garden allows for real choice in the market: seekers of open platforms can choose Android, seekers of closed platforms can choose iOS. Doesn't Microsoft's move just confirm that there is plenty of choice in the digital app market?

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Can't wait for them to add the same stores on the XBOX. Oh they won't be doing it on there? weird.

Maybe it's because no one uses the Windows Store on PC so they don't care about it.
And the threat of MacOS, iOS, iPadOS, Android, ChromeOS, Linux still looms large over Windows. Now Microsoft suddenly wants to embrace "open".

dabi

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2021
EU
I think this is a great strategy for Microsoft, they used to have such a bad PR, but now they're pushing to be this open platform which is quite a contrast for what Apple and Google are doing. I have my complains for Windows 11, but I think the overall direction is nice to see.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
This is a funny PR stunt. Of course, Epic game store is already available on Windows (you just have to download their app from the epic website). By integrating alternative stores into their Windows store, Microsoft is a) drawing attention to their own store and b) opens up a possibility to block free software installs in the future.

P.S. And of course, Epic game store is also available on macOS.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
the only game i play via a computer is "lets see what OSX i can install on my MacBook air today"
i m at level: big sur
will stick with Mojave and call it a game-day!

I never use the Microsoft store app, since May 2020 according to Gates

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Am I the only one who thinks this would be good for Apple? One of Apple's strongest arguments is that their walled garden allows for real choice in the market: seekers of open platforms can choose Android, seekers of closed platforms can choose iOS. Doesn't Microsoft's move just confirm that there is plenty of choice in the digital app market?
Microsoft proved years ago that you can make a secure OS without having to lock down the application distribution model. All Apple does is try to keep their cash cow making money.

Kleber20

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2013
You are a very smart person

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
This is correct. So far Microsoft has been able to mostly fly under the radar of the current anti-trust stuff going around (unlike Google, Apple, or Facebook) and I'm sure they want to keep it that way.

Reactions: foliovision

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Gotta wonder what the angle is here. Microsoft doesn’t do things out of the goodness of their hearts so this is likely a long burner to prop up the case against Apple and Google so before we know it we need the Microsoft store to download Office and while your there you might as well buy games and other apps from them and suddenly Microsoft are relevant in the mobile space and can try pushing Windows Phone again.

jamcgahey

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
Maine
I believe this was a move where microsoft is hoping to force the hand of Apple loosening their app store restrictions. The only difference is that the money that flows in and out of of the apple app store is significantly more than the microsoft store. Furthermore, people are already use to going to amazon.com or downloading the Epic app on their windows computer to access both those companies offerings (as a small example).

My point? I guess my point is that this shouldn't really be considered anything ground breaking or tragic to apples business model. Plenty of people use the microsoft store but plenty of people use alternative ways to get what they want that the microsoft store didn't offer previously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.