Windows on Macbook Pro question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jinxednuance, Feb 6, 2011.

1. jinxednuance macrumors regular

Hello,

I am thinking of installing a Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro, but I am just wondering, will the performance of Windows (boot camp installation) be as fast as the Mac OS? I tried many PCs and no one delivers like a Macbook Pro (for Mac OS) but I wanted more information if possible on the performance of Windows 7 on Macbook Pro.

This is my first post so thank you for those taking care of the website, you're my main resource for buying any Apple related product!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

Hello and thanks for replying, I did read the page you mentioned however it doesn't mention the speeds of Windows and how different it is than running it on a regular PC.

Anyway, I cannot wait to install it. All I have to do now is find a decent Windows 7 copy!

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

There is no difference. Infact, you'll find that it's probably faster than most wintel laptops because (and only because) a virgin untouched (lol) windows installation is really the best windows installation there is, and not bogged down by the default crapware and garbage antivirus that one typically receives with OEM machines. If you load up a Macbook Pro with a garbage image from HP Sony et al you'll notice the same slowdown (though depending on hardware specs this effect can be attenuated).

So a default installation on many machines will make them 'snappy', it's just up to you to be cautious about what you install as well as how annoying your anti-virus solution is (if you choose such) to make sure it doesn't ruin your experience.

Of course the experience you may be referring to could also be windows rot. One of the reasons for this is because NT uses the registry as a repository/database for everything on your machine, which is fine, unless you have bad actors who don't use the registry appropriately. If you clean it with something like CCleaner that can help, but it's just one of the differences between NT and *NIX/Mac OS.

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I run Windows 7 on my Mbp, and while i haven't measured speed, i can tell you that i notice no difference in performance between it and my work PC.

6. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

What are the specs of your PC at work? I'm assuming it's a desktop right? Aren't those usually faster anyway compared with a laptop?

7. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

any real hardcore mbp user I would guess is using some kind of virtual software(e.g, parallel) to run windows x.

I myself run win 7 w/ parallel 6 and could not be more impressed.... It's crazy stuff. Just make sure to have 4 gig or memory to run comfortably but it's crazy stuff. Good world we live in.

Run w/ best os in the world and have freedom to run whatever other OS you need to run on the side.. It's crazy.

8. JustCreepin' macrumors newbie

Quoted for truth. If you're using Boot Camp, there is nothing "special" about running Windows 7. It will only run as fast as the components allow. As stated by another poster, you may "feel" it is faster due to the fact that it is a "virgin" install.

If you want the fastest Windows 7 experience on a laptop, load it up on a real Quad Core notebook - in this case, NOT the current MBP. However, then this entire thread becomes pointless, if you switch back to a "regular" PC.

9. Razzi macrumors newbie

I actually just installed a copy of Win7 onto my mbp yesterday, hoping that i can run starcraft 2 a little smoother and cooler. didn't seem to do much, fan speeds still hitting 5 and 6 thousand, cpu temp sitting around 180, i dunno what others are experiencing, i'm hoping it's the same.

one of the weirdest things though is that since the installation, in either OS the machine idles at 140 degrees F. i have no idea why, activity monitor and task manager both report nothing that's using more than 2%.

it's also kind of a weird experience switching back to windows after using the mac os for so long, reminds me of my first switch to macs.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No, I have a laptop at work too. I actually don't know the specs (never really cared), but the laptops speedier than the desktop it replaced.

Actually, now that I think about it, my MBP is faster and snappier than work. And I'm on Windows a lot at home, because I run a greyhound rescue and a lot of what I do for the charity (website, Access database, etc.) is done on Windows programs.

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No "virgin" install here... Have been running Windows on my mid-2007 MBP since day one. Was running XP, skipped Vista, and have been running W7 since it first came out. Running Office 2007 for over a year, and was running Frontpage 2002, now running Expression.

12. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

OS X has a lot of trouble connecting to our wireless network sometimes. Windows 7 connects immediately every time I start it. Obviously, being an Apple fanboy, this annoys me immensely.

13. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I've seen complaints about the apple provided drivers for some components like video. YMMV. I generally run under VMWare. I've noticed that 4GB is too little for my MBP, though, with 64 bit Windows 7, so I have replacement RAM on order.

14. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Update your graphics drivers at www.laptopvideo2go.com

Running a virtual computer will obviously run much more poorly, and use much more RAM than Boot Camp-ing it.

15. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Obviously running dual machines on one machine will tax more on hardware.
    If you are running the other machine so much you should just be running that machine.

People like me who uses mac for work and just have few other programs that needs to run on windows are excellent.

Also, my wife games on her mb and some games are only available on windows. She seems to have no problem running that games on her parallel windows 7 -- nothing too crazy though, you know, girls games.

16. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Apple's Windows drivers are garbage. Find an app that allows direct control over the fans and you'll be able to speed them up manually.

17. Razzi macrumors newbie

Where would i find non-garbage drivers while booted into Win7? Or am i gonna have to manually check every single item in system manager?

also, weird temperature spikes seem to have ceased.

18. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

After reading the posts I realize I am no longer excited about installing Windows 7 lol... I am just looking for a speedy Windows 7 and the only way to get that, I assume, is through MBP

19. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Jinxed, install it. It will run fine.