Windows Phone 7.8/8.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NbinHD, Jun 20, 2012.

1. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Windows Phone 7.8/8 software was shown off today. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyjtllCRw0M
    There are more videos and articles on the internet too. What do you guys think of it? A possible OS change for some? I'm interested in it and I'm really starting to like the way Microsoft is heading now.

2. boomboom2 macrumors regular

I'm interested in seeing what Nokia comes out with. I'm rooting for Microsoft to be successful. The major players in the mobile scene means we as the consumer all when when they push each other to be the best :)

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What are you guys using now? If iOS are you dissatisfied with it? Just curious.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I really like the idea of having so much information available right on the home screen with everything updating in real time. That being said, I still don't know if I care for the metro style.

At this point I don't think I am too deep into the Apple ecosystem to want to change, but I like what Microsoft is doing.

5. boomboom2 macrumors regular

Well, my phone is a Galaxy Nexus, but for my tablet I have a third generation iPad. I'm a gadget nerd so I like trying out new things. I had a Samsung Focus for a while and I really enjoyed the OS. I just can't bother myself into tying myself into only one ecosystem!

6. NbinHD thread starter macrumors 6502

Had a iPhone 4 for two years. First iOS device too. Already bored of iOS but absolutely love, love, love the way Apple is run, their products and the way they treat there customers. I'm just getting sick of the plain and uneditable iOS UI.

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I love the Metro UI and I hope Windows Phone can take off, especially now as they just made it better for business and enterprise users what with encryption and stuff like that.

The fact that users with existing devices won't be able to upgrade is a shame though. I guess they're just drawing a line in the sand and starting over. I feel bad for all those who bought Lumias on a 2-year contract though.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Interesting. I guess everything is a tradeoff. :)

My wife has an iPhone4S. More editable features would be nice, but I accept the idea of the toaster appliance and I like Apple's approach to vetting apps. How much variation is there in Android devices that would keep you from becoming bored? I relate this to my MBP. The only thing I do to change the MacOS interface is to switch out the desktop image every so often. That's it. :)

9. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Literally about a week ago I ditched my iPhone 4S in favour of a Nokia Lumia 900, I was drawn to the larger screen etc, and I wanted to see what using Windows Phone 7 was like as I think it looks beautiful.

While the Lumia screen may be lower resolution than the 4S, the actual workable resolution is higher at 800x480. The actual workable resolution of the retina display is still 320x480. So the Lumia displays more on websites etc.

The reasons I was disatisfied with iPhone was I was bored of iOS having been with it 5 years and seeing no change in UI, and I wanted something bigger than a 3.5 inch screen, I hope the leaks about the larger iPhone are wrong because I don't want a slightly taller iPhone. If the iPhone shipped with a 4.3inch screen or above, I'll be sorely tempted to jump back.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm anxiously awaiting the iPhone 5 this fall. :):)

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I always find the I am bored argument interesting but in the end far from the truth. It is more Apple's cookie cutter approach to its OS is what people are really bored of. They can not get the thing set up exactly how they want it and are forced to live inside the limits of iOS.

Android's limits are a lot lower but still there.
    I like Android personally because I can set it up how I want it. If you look at my phones set up across now 5 different launchers each of the set ups has a lot in common with each other. It's more each different launcher got me closer to how I want things.