Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Found this very interesting article about the on-screen keyboard in Windows Phone 7:

Windows Phone 7 - A Better Keyboard - Microsoft Research

By combining statistical models of language patterns and touch points, the keyboard dynamically changes the virtual size of the likely next letter, so that it has a larger target area—the area where tapping the keypad results in a particular letter, symbol, or number.

“We don’t show that visually,” Paek says. “It all happens behind the scenes.”

The keypad software analyzes what a user is typing, decides which letter is most likely to be typed next, and enlarges the virtual key area, so that hitting a “T” results in a T, not a Y or an R.

I saw people complaining about Microsoft spending a lot of money on R&D. But really, I think the keyboard on my Samsung Omnia 7 is great and I really like that Microsoft publishes information like this and lets us know how they do the things they do.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I'm pretty sure the iPhone does this too. For example, if you try to type in "neptunr", you will instead type in "neptune" just because the "e" has enlarged itself and takes up some of the "r" space. Now, they might do this differently, I don't know but that's what I think happens anyways.

So yeah, I hate to say this but I think they just copied Apple in this case. *prepares to get flamed*

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I'm pretty sure the iPhone does this too. For example, if you try to type in "neptunr", you will instead type in "neptune" just because the "e" has enlarged itself and takes up some of the "r" space. Now, they might do this differently, I don't know but that's what I think happens anyways.

So yeah, I hate to say this but I think they just copied Apple in this case. *prepares to get flamed*

I would not say MS copied it. If anything Apple might of gotten it hands on R&D that MS could of been doing at universities. The predictive text algorituims Apple could not see but having those adjustments go on is a good trick.

There are multiple choices in how to do it. One way is you just have adaptive learning text where it auto changes the word like Apple does or you can do the MS method or a combination of the 2.

MS I find does better R&D that helps everyone as they are much more willing to share it than Apple. Also most of it that helps us we do not know about.

Reading the article. MS way of gaining data on these I have to give them credit was a very smart idea. They created a game that is rated 4 stars. Teaches people who to text better plus they were able to collect a lot of data on how they need to adjust the sensor area. Smart easy way to do it.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
That was quite an interesting read. Virtual keyboards are a very particular thing for me. Some I can work with easily, and others just don't fit me well at all. That is one of the things I like about Android; all the available software keyboards. Since I've started using it, I've tried out 5 or 6 different ones. I'm currently using SwiftKey, and it is fantastic. I'm not sure exactly how they do their predictive text, but it works great, and I can just fly on it.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

I don't see that happen. :confused:

photo.PNG

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
I would not say MS copied it. If anything Apple might of gotten it hands on R&D that MS could of been doing at universities. The predictive text algorituims Apple could not see but having those adjustments go on is a good trick.

There are multiple choices in how to do it. One way is you just have adaptive learning text where it auto changes the word like Apple does or you can do the MS method or a combination of the 2.

MS I find does better R&D that helps everyone as they are much more willing to share it than Apple. Also most of it that helps us we do not know about.

Reading the article. MS way of gaining data on these I have to give them credit was a very smart idea. They created a game that is rated 4 stars. Teaches people who to text better plus they were able to collect a lot of data on how they need to adjust the sensor area. Smart easy way to do it.
Kudos for an excellent post :)

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States

Well it works for me. As I try to touch r from the left side, it will actually select e. It might be predictive algorithm doing this but I can see the virual area for the key has expanded as well.

But I pretty much agree with Rodimus's post.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

the iphone did this at the beginning. there were lots of articles about this back in 2007. here's one i found:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/iphone-keyboard-secrets/

Although you don’t see it with your eyes, the sizes of the keys on the iPhone keyboard are changing all the time. That is, the software enlarges the “landing area” of certain keys, based on probability.

For example, supposed you type “tim.” Now, the iPhone knows that no word in the language begins timw or timr—and so, invisibly, it enlarges the “landing area” of the E key, which greatly diminishes your chances of making a typo on that last letter. Very cool.

now i remember doing this myself years back and thinking how cool it was. do it now and it just gives me the suggestion. over the years i think apple's just adjusted its algorithms for less virtual sizing and more auto correction.

View attachment 283558

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
the iphone did this at the beginning. there were lots of articles about this back in 2007. here's one i found:

now i remember doing this myself years back and thinking how cool it was. do it now and it just gives me the suggestion. over the years i think apple's just adjusted its algorithms for less virtual sizing and more auto correction.

would not be surprised at all if most virtual keyboard did that. What I find really cool is how MS went about collecting very usable data.
I think it is pretty cool that they threw a game out there that collects it and finds that the speed the typing is going also adjust how much the key sizes need to be adjusted.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
"gimped" autocorrects to "humped".

Made for a very awkward text to a girl about her recent leg injury. :eek:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

2007:

would not be surprised at all if most virtual keyboard did that. What I find really cool is how MS went about collecting very usable data.
I think it is pretty cool that they threw a game out there that collects it and finds that the speed the typing is going also adjust how much the key sizes need to be adjusted.

Sure, show an example of how it works on mobile devices before Apple announced the iPhone. :rolleyes:

TheSideshow

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
When I was using my iPhone years ago I came to the conclusion that the keys did not resize at all based on predictive text. WP's auto correction seems much better than iOS as well.

keyboard_touch_points.jpg

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
BOOM! Yep, that's all MS needs.

Keyboard tweaks.

NOW Windows Phone 7 is actually relevant. Watch out Apple and Google! :rolleyes:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
WHAT on earth is that picture?

if you read the article it fits in.
That picture is collect data off the game MS created seeing how points were keys are pressed and then are color coded to give you an idea.
It shows you how we type and you can see how much the average person misses each respective key.

each dot is a data point.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Would you like to explain what I'm doing wrong? :confused:

Slowly type in N-E-P-T-U-N-R (without the dashes, of course)
You can't type in the "R" even if you hit it spot on and hold your finger down, it automatically selects the "E" for you. It's not something you can see with a screencap.

Anyways, I find the WP7 keyboard very good. Whatever Microsoft did, it's great. Very tempted to jump for one, but its a draw with Android. WP7 looks great, but Android has so many nice features. But I'm sticking with iOS, I need my iTunes/App Store environment.

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Slowly type in N-E-P-T-U-N-R (without the dashes, of course)
You can't type in the "R" even if you hit it spot on and hold your finger down, it automatically selects the "E" for you.

Anyway's, I find the WP7 keyboard very good. Whatever Microsoft did, it's great.

that is not what WP7 keyboard is doing. WP7 is not going to over ride you choosing your key and get in your way like that example.

Also it adjusted the size of the key respectiveness to the speed you are typing. Typing fast it is going to make the keys "larger" type slow and with your fingers keys are going to be smaller.

Problem with the guessing system used for key press in all touch screen keyboards is sometime they over ride what you really want and in a sense Get in the way. WP7 goal was to get better at the guessing and not get in the way as much.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Would you like to explain what I'm doing wrong? :confused:

It doesn't work for me either. :confused:

A bubble pops up to suggest "Neptune" is the word I'm after, but I certainly do not believe that the virtual key size of the last "e" increases in size to overlap the size of the "r" key (or the 'r' key size shrinks....whatever). If I miss the "e" and press more towards the letter "r" a little bit, that's the letter that comes out.

The articles pointed out are old, and the keyboard design could have changed since then. I don't know. All I know is that this feature doesn't work on my iPhone 3Gs, or perhaps it just doesn't work well.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
It doesn't work for me either. :confused:

A bubble pops up to suggest "Neptune" is the word I'm after, but I certainly do not believe that the virtual key size of the last "e" increases in size to overlap the size of the "r" key (or the 'r' key size shrinks....whatever). If I miss the "e" and press more towards the letter "r" a little bit, that's the letter that comes out.

I still don't get it. :confused:

I don't have any difficulties typing 'Neptunr".

photo-1.PNG

Obviously it will correct to 'Neptune if I press the space bar but the keyboard lets me type it as shown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.