Windows Phone 7 might not be pretty, but its no joke

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigQid, Oct 9, 2010.

1. BigQid macrumors regular

Apple might not be scared, but they should take note. Windows Phone 7 does not suck. They're going to sell a lot of them. The X-box integration, people liked the Zune it was just that Apple was bigger, the organization of the phone. It is a compelling offer so far.

This hands on review is at least impressive enough to warrant consideration.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQBpiLudT40

I didn't get an iphone 4 yet and had been considering Android. I talked 2 friends into getting Android phones so I could try them before I buy them. They're happy, but I wouldn't be. Gingerbread might meet my expectations though. Now Windows Phone 7 (terrible name) is coming. Doesn't look as pretty as iPhone or even Android, but I like it.

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

WP7 is actually pretty innovative, with its hubs and side-scrolling topical sections. I think artistic and non-techie types will like it a lot.

It's interesting that AT&T is a premier WP7 partner. Rumors say they plan to push and sell a lot of WP7 phones.

3. Menzo macrumors member

I hope they do well. With this OS system along with Android getting more and more people interested, Apple will have no choice but to step up and produce better iPhones and more innovations with their software.

The end result = A great time for us consumers.

4. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

i do like the looks of WP7 aswell as its content-centric approach in contrast to apple's purely app-centric.

then again, i wonder how seamlessly new apps might integrate into this experience :/

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Good point about the content oriented approach.

Nice short explanation and examples here.

Yeah, along with new hubs, there'll also be lots of standalone apps that don't fit into the new paradigm. Standalone still makes sense at times, especially for games that don't have anything to do with each other.

6. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

It's true. iOS is getting quite boring. Why do you think so many Jailbreakers attempt to mix it up so much? The hardware is clearly capable of more than Apple insists of it, but Apple just doesn't want to change things much. I mean, it took them 4 versions of iOS to get a customisable wallpaper and organisable apps. What a joke!

7. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I think there's definitely some nice things there. Just commenting on the UI, lock screen is very nice. Personally I think the "tile" interface for the homescreen is butt ugly. It seems like there's a lot of text jumbled together and the white-on-black looks busy.

I'd love to see the iPhone get more voice recognition. The subtle transition animations in WP7 are very nice.

8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I don't know. The UI seems more app like and less like an actual OS. While I do like how Microsoft is pushing the phone to integrate with other products, this not a "new" feature. Its been done.
    Xbox live? Neat, for my son.
    But everything else that I saw wasn't so overly impressive to me. Just another phone amongst the hundred out there. A few neat things, but you can do a lot of that on a jailbroken phone. Again, its been done.

And while I hope this will push newer innovation, I still only see it as another fish in the pond.
    Again, its just my opinion.

9. tigress666 macrumors 68040

*shrug*

Maybe I'd have to actually get my hands on it to see, but from that video it looks ugly and clunky. Oh, and the guy was irritating me when he kept going, "it's not final hardware". Ok, we get it! Really, get on with the review. Then he goes on to outline the hardware!!! I thought you wanted to emphasize the review was about the OS.

The layouts seemed like they wasted space just to waste space but still didn't even seem to do it in any sort of nice pattern (I really dislike how they off center the tiles to the left). The pictures app or whatever it is, I hope you get to choose pictures or at least say you don't want pictures in the background, the background was noisy and it was hard to navigate with all that noise in the background (plus it looked like it put a few random pics in each screen so you really had to search around more to find a pic). Really in general the overall impression I got was that it was a very "noisy" interface. Like some one said, "hey, this is cool if we throw this random image/layout in there" without any thought to layout or how well it would look (or be easy to navigate. Too much noise in the background makes it hard to read the stuff you are trying to look at. It's a pet peeve of mine in web design when soem one thinks it is really cool to put a pic in the background but the pic makes the text unreadable).

As I said, maybe I just have to play with it IRL (it's hard to tell in a video when they're just showing the layouts and don't explain things, just go, look at this).

Sometimes simplicity isn't a bad thing though.

10. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Looks like I'll finally have an excuse to have 2 phones.

11. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

looks likes the windows 7 os is pretty good....until it gets a virus :D:apple:

12. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

actually, windows phone 7 looks even more 'closed system' than iOS right now ;)

13. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

I think the Metro UI already looks dated, I've seen so many screenshots already where the only difference between them has been tile color. Wish MS could have done this years ago though - this refresh was way, way overdue.

14. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

That UI skinned would be pretty sweet, methinks

15. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

If the W7 phones are "Wi-Fi Hotspot" enabled, I'll definitely be buying one.

Would be nice not having to pay AT&T an extra 25 bucks a month for iPad data.

16. jcole31 macrumors regular

Windows Phone 7 has the nicest UI out there as far as I'm concerned. I will not be buying a windows phone because the mac support will be nonexistent, but iOS needs a visual overhaul and stock android is ugly. Hopefully Apple wakes up and takes iOS to the next level in its next incarnation.

17. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Mac support non-existant? The only thing I'd really use my W7 phone with my mac for is music. Maybe I'm missing something.

18. jcole31 macrumors regular

The zune software, for syncing purposes, is windows only.

19. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I disagree. iOS just "works." It's simple in design, uncomplicated, and easy. I feel no need to change something that essentially works perfectly, no matter how "boring" it is.

20. Nevpaurion macrumors regular

That UI looks gorgeous in my opinion. Call me artsy but the use (and non use) of space coupled with the display of at a glance info is kind of refreshing.

However, I would hope that you could change those hub tiles to a clear, slightly translucent version that would show your wallpaper behind them.

21. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

iOS and Android aside to me that just looks like an awful UI experience. Looks like it would take forever to accomplish anything. It also does not look very pretty like some have said.

Just my opinion...

22. jcole31 macrumors regular

Exactly. I really hope this catches on so that Apple is forced to respond and modernize the looks of iOS. Microsoft just made every other mobile OS look incredibly dated. I still don't know how it would be to actually use this phone day to day, but UI wise, they nailed it.

23. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Wow.
    I just watched the video.

I HATE it. Too much emphasis on trying to make it look cool.

To each his own, but I'll gladly stick with iOS. It just works for me. :)

24. exemos macrumors member

My personal opinion, it's too messy.
    Yes I agree that iOS needs a bit of an upgrade, but I'm happy it with over all.
    W7 just makes the whole phone look chaotic and messy, not to mention I didn't see Helvetica anywhere...

25. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Looks great, in a much different way. Been looking at one for some time, kinda wish I waited on my iP4 until this baby could be compared.