Windows to Lion - Issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Westport, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Westport macrumors newbie

I was expecting my transition from PC to Mac to be a bit easier. So far, I have two issues that I have learned post purchase:

1- Can't Save Word 2011 Files On Lion to a NAS drive
    2- Can't Use Time Machine on Lion to back up to a NAS

Does Steve not like NAS servers or something? This means I have to store my data on my hard drive and use a separate external hard drive to back up the mac. I thought this was supposed to be a better environment than Windows. So far its not for me. Please help me see the light. :confused:

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Is your NAS formatted for Windows? If it is, then you have to install a driver to read/write to NTFS drives. Like MacFUSE.

3. Westport thread starter macrumors newbie

No it's samba. I see many people online with the same two problems. Seems like the only nas you can use with time machine on lion is time capsule.

4. AJBlue98 macrumors newbie

Samba is just a simple way of saying, "a Windows computer talking to a Macintosh or other *nix-based system via a network." You still have a Windows-based something on the other end. If you want to use a NAS with your Macintosh, you need to connect it to a fully Macintosh-compatible server, not just any ol' box running Samba. Time Capsule certainly is the easiest way to go, and AirPort Extreme is just about as easy.

You might also consider looking for an iTunes server machine, then seeing if any of the companies that make those also make generic Macintosh-compatible NASes.

Anyway, there's a thread discussing the various options elsewhere on the forums. Perhaps someone there has something you can use!

Cheers,

—Adam

5. Westport thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Adam.

Hi Adam, thanks for the response.
    I checked the other thread. Seems like they are all going for the Synology DS211. I have the DS209. I know for a fact the DS211 is not compatible with Time Machine on Lion. Lion must be too new. By the way, Word 2011 for Mac won't even work with Time Capsule. I think my problem is that I am using Lion and not Leopard.

Randy

6. tcassio macrumors newbie

I have a Synology DS410 and have no problem backing up to it using Time Machine. In order for Time Machine to work with Lion to the Synology, you need to install the latest software version which is classified as "Bata". I think it 3.2.

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

i just took my synology 110j running dsm 2.2 patched it to 2.3 then patched it to 3.1. it runs fine and lets me use snow and lion macs. I don't run time machine on it. I would need to go to dsm 3.2. what version of dsm is on your sinology? BTW so far I have spent over 35 hours time converting from snow to lion a bad joke as far as I am concerned. Why run lion I wanted a new mini. the mini with lion has caused a lot of problems with my snow macs. PITA

8. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

I think this is the only problem you have, and as AJBlue already told you, samba is the protocol for connecting on the network. What DeusInvictus was talking about was the format of the hard drive, something completely different.

SO, I would suggest, before spending more money on a different NAS or a different network setup, just check that your drive is formatted on FAT and not on NTFS (since no mac can write to NTFS drives, only read from them), and then, either change the format to FAT or get a solution like MacFUSE (there are others options out there).