Windows XP or 7?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by garirry, Jun 22, 2013.

1. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I have a Windows PC that absolutely must be reinstalled, since it became to glitchy and it keeps restarting when it wants. It's a Compaq Presario SR1265CL with AMD Athlon XP 3200 2.2GHz and 1 GB of RAM. My graphic card DOES NOT support Windows Aero. Should I reinstall Windows XP or upgrade to Windows 7?

2. mcmul macrumors 6502

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Windows XP would run better on that machine, but remember that it will be end of lifed in April of next year.

4. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

Well, I will reinstall XP on this machine. And for the XP end in 2014, I don't really mind because I will get an new iMac before this time.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Though XP will officially be "dumped" next year, Windows releases don't tend to follow OS X releases in that they are generally still highly developer/community/user supported for years afterwards. I mean, just recently have some of the most popular programs begun to dump 98/2000. Considering how long of a retail lifespan it had and amount of market share it still retains, I wouldn't worry about being left out in the cold for a while yet to come.

That said, if you like to keep up with the latest and greatest; Windows 7 is quickly becoming the new standard for the cutting-edge and new feature software, and is certainly more future-proof.

I don't think your machine would have too difficult a time running 7, but XP is what it was designed for and will run best.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

If the video card supported Aero, Windows 7 would be a good choice. It functions surprisingly well with low RAM. But in this case it does make sense to go with the positively ancient Windows XP ;)

8. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Good Choice, XP will be supported by developers for years to come.

Thats the one nice thing about keeping a decent PC around, Mac developers end support like crazy, PC developers go for decades.

9. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

Mac developers do almost everything Intel-only now. That's why they stop PPC, because it has a different CPU architecture. As for Windows, same old hardware, same those big square boxes. I'm not sure, but I think Microsoft is making some updates that all they do is slow down XP, so we would upgrade to 7, which we obviously won't upgrade.

10. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

XP is very outdated. Windows 7 might work better than you think on that old machine. I have a very outdated "white box" computer with a Pentium 4 CPU running Windows 7 Ultimate surprisingly well. It isn't exactly going to kill 3D gaming or anything but for the type of usage you expect to do on that sort of machine (basic browsing, email, music, etc) it works fine.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'd go with 7 if all things were equal. Consider XP if you need it for better performance. On 7, "Aero" MS's fancy graphics can be turned off to reduce load. See this MS Support article.

12. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

If your graphics hardware doesn't support it, Windows turns Aero off by default anyway.

13. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

Installed Windows 7, now I'm just thinking: WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY PC? Everything is my computer's fault. Don't know if it's the bios, or there's a serious hardware problem, because nothing works! W7 keeps showing me the blue screen of death and it barely works. I have an older computer, cheaper and lower in specs than this one and it worked both XP and 7 way better than this one. WHY?

14. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Sounds like you got a major hardware problem - maybe with the motherboard or power supply. That's probably also why your old system went bad. It doesn't look like there is much sense trying to fix a ~10 year old PC, so get your data off the disk and put the old machine in the recycle bin.

15. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Definitely a hardware problem. I agree with Berlepsch - throw it away. Your motherboard's probably screwed and for a machine that old there's no point fixing it. You can buy another old machine with better specs for under £100 easily anyway.

16. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

Well, yeah I wanna do that but for now, I MUST have a Windows machine primarly for iTunes since the one on iMac G4 doesn't sync with iPod Touch 5G.

I will buy a new Mac, and I will destroy my PC in parts, just like I did with the older one that was identical in design.

17. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I'd dump that old computer and get a new one--and make sure you get it installed with Windows 7, NOT Windows 8. I myself run Windows 7 on both my laptop, home desktop and work desktop machines and love it for its familiarity and excellent stability. :)

18. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

I'm not getting a PC, I'm getting a Mac! Probably I will use Windows on VMWare on my Mac.

19. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

just get a copy of xp as cheap as you can to tie you over until you can get a newer system. Doesnt sound like you want to be spending any more cash than you have to on this one

20. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

If all you need is a Windows PC, there are lots of options. I bought a small netbook a few years ago for the purpose of running iTunes. 250 gig hard drive, Windows 7, and it was well under $200.

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I second this; my HP mini has been a great little knock-around machine that will handle simple tasks like iTunes and web browsing, chatting, etc. with ease. Not to mention that these days, it's a breeze to find one used in good condition for close to or at $100.