Windows XP64 installed on the new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Quintonm, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Quintonm macrumors newbie

Just installed xp64 on the newest Mac book pro and Bootcamp.
    Everything is working including keyboard hardware functions, bluetooth, internet, touchpad etc.

Got it working using only the MBP install disc, and a download for the Nvidia graphics card, and modifying a file.
    Also have the bootcamp control panel installed and working.

Not sure if it is old news or not, but here is a video of it working..
    If anyone is interested will upload full instructions here tomorrow (Just heading to bed)

http://revver.com/video/833490/xp64-on-a-macbook-pro/
    (Should be available any moment, still processing)

2. shoarthing macrumors member

. . good news for those w/ 4GB: what exactly did you modify in which file?

What temperatures does it appear to run at under full load & do the fans ramp up & down under changing load?

3. Quintonm thread starter macrumors newbie

These details are for latest Macbook Pro..
    Please note, this has been tested and completely works but as usual, changing files is done completely at your own risk..
    You will need to install something like winrar from a usb stick.

From System Properties>Hardware>device manager you will see the yellow exclamations where drivers have not been installed..

1. install chipset drivers
    From the mac disc 1, just run \Boot Camp\Drivers\Intel\Chipset
    run: setup

yes>next>yes then wait until they are all installed. Click next to continue.
    No I will restart this computer later.

Click on Network Controller>Reinstall Driver>No not This time>Install from a list or specific location>Search for the best driver in these locations>
    Select the Broadcom folder which you need to extract to a folder on your pc like the rest using Winrar.

2. wireless drivers
    unrar the file \Boot Camp\Drivers\Broadcom\BroadcomXPInstaller.exe
    Use device manger to install the network card driver manually,the 'Network card' is wireless card, the ethernet one is onboard network card.
    Use winrar to unrar the file to a folder.
    then use normal way to install device driver, run device manager and double click the 'network card' with ! icon. and then, install device.
    You should now have internet access and you can get the latest drivers by allowing the update driver file to find the latest driver online.

Ethernet Controller Connect to the Internet>Yes this time only>Downloading software from Windows Update

3. graphics Important your graphics MUST be set to 1920x1200 before installing if using 17" Hi Res.
    You will need to download the graphics drivers from link below.
    Open Folder nvidia_go_fw17431_xp64 and run Setup.exe which is located at the bottom in the 17431_winxp64 folder (see links below).

You can get it from the following locations but it will be slow..
    http://count.mydrivers.com/download...tp://file6.mydrivers.com/display/nvidia_go_fw 17431_xp64.zip
    http://count.mydrivers.com/download...rivers.com/display/nvidia_go_fw17431_xp64.zip
    http://count.mydrivers.com/download...rivers.com/display/nvidia_go_fw17431_xp64.zip

4. isight
    \Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\x64\AppleNullDriver64.exe
    unrar into a folder and use device manager to install it.
    It will say it is not properly signed but if you select yes it will install the iSight
    -------------------------------------------------
    This bit is a bit complicated the first time and is quite hard to explain, will try and get screenshots for it later.
    From the Human Interface Devices in Device manager..

5.Extract AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe to a folder on your PC..
    Then goto..
    Device Manager>Human Interface Devices>update driver>no not this time>install from a list>
    Select the AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe that you unrared
    When updating driver you must select the option to HAVE DISC for the installation.

You will need to check the driver id to find which driver requires installing

6th down/4th up from bottom>update driver>no not this time>next>install from a list or specified location>dont search i will choose the driver to install
    have disk>Applemtm64 (AppleMultiTouchTrackPad Installer64>Apple Multitouch Mouse (2nd down)(mi_02)

multitracktouchpadinstaller64
    5th down/5th up (mi_00)(keymagic64)Apple Keyboard

mi_01 usb human interface device 6th down4th/up
    Apple MTM64 OR MTP64 (APPLEMULTITOUCH)

Vid_05ac&Pid_0232&MI_01Vid_05ac&Pid_0232&MI_01 -> Multitouch
    Vid_05ac&Pid_0232&MI_02 -> Multitouch Mouse
    Vid_05ac&Pid_0232&MI_00 -> Apple keyboard

6. Audio
    unrar Boot Camp\Drivers\RealTekSetup.exe
    and then run the setup.exe in it

Install Bo0tcamp Control Panel
    7. http://mirror5.free-downloads.net/14262/mx.xpx64.bootcamp.msi
    This is a hacked bootcamp control panel to allow your keys to change sound/brightness/boot options f1-f12 etc..

last. bluetooth (This must be installed last)
    unrar Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\x64\AppleBluetoothInstaller64.exe
    and find the AppleBT64.inf

copy line 32:
    Apple Built-in Bluetooth=BCBTUsbDriverInstallXP, USB\VID_05ac&PID_8207

and paste it below itself and change last character...like the following..
    Apple Built-in Bluetooth=BCBTUsbDriverInstallXP, USB\VID_05ac&PID_820F
    (only the 7 needs changed to an F)
    save the file..

Update the driver same as others above.
    There have been issues of XP64 sometimes not recovering from Hibernation.

4. michino macrumors newbie

sorry but i can´t do this step. windows sias that is no compatible appl in that folder, i have tryed with the 3 broadcom folders allready unziped.

is there any web to download this ethenet driver?

that a lot

5. writer648 macrumors newbie

WinXP64 install

I have a MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz dual core as well. I've tried to install Windows XP 64 but i'm curious if you had to do any funny partitioning beforehand to get WinXP64 loaded?

From instructions I've seen:
    http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/2008/02/27/MacBook-install:-triple-boot:-linux-windows-Mac-OS
    http://romeosrant.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/triple-boot-via-bootcamp-mac-windows-and-linux/
    http://www.fosk.it/quad-booting-a-macbook.html

The third one seemed to be the simplest explaination. Consistent theme seems to be that XP likes to be partion 4 (aka #3 since you count from 0).

I seem to get to the first reboot after WinXP 64 does the format. I hold down Option/Alt to get the loader menu and select the Windows drive but then get:
    Disk error
    Press any key to restart

....but the keyboard won't respond.

What steps did you take to get XP64 installed from base MacOS? Did you make the other partitions? Are you planning on triple booting with a linux flavour?

Thanks
    writer648

6. writer648 macrumors newbie

Found the answer to my own question:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306504

Don't pick quick format. I think somewhere in there I screwed up the partitions and it did this on Drive D, not drive C. Got same error afterwards. Will try a wipe and redo.

7. Quintonm thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you unrar the Broadcom xp drivers (not xp64) to a folder on your MBP?
    You need to unrar all the drivers, then select the "have disk" option, this is the only way they will work.
    I know I already installed them, but here is a short video on how to do it..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9EH5m647G8&fmt=18

8. rswoodford macrumors newbie

All of my drivers on my Penryn MBP are working brilliantly, thank you for a great document.

I had an issue with the BT, but after re-installing and trying again I got it working perfectly.

Thanks very much.

9. tridianimeitor macrumors newbie

thanks a lot for the detailed howto

it works real well
    the only issue im having is that whenever i try to install hacked bootcamp i get an unexpected error with a 2229 code.

so im unable to use properly the keyboard.

and in fact not even input remapper is working. so if anyone has any pointer would be great

10. rswoodford macrumors newbie

Not too sure about the bootcamp.msi issue.

I had other issues, but I figured I had the issues because I tried going through the steps after XP64 had automatically updated to SP2.

Once I reinstalled and did the steps straight off the fresh install I had no issues at all.

Sorry that probably isn't any help.

My system is running great in Xp64 got all my 3D apps using all 4Gb of memory and everything.

11. tridianimeitor macrumors newbie

so you got working the boot camp application?

12. rswoodford macrumors newbie

13. InesBlack macrumors newbie

Keyboard

Hi!

I got my xp 654 running great with your help. Thanx!! The only problem I has was with the keyboard, I can't seem to get the eject key and all those keys to work, even with remaper. I tried installing the drivers in the cd, and nothing. The problem is I noticed in the device manager I had two keyboards, I uninstalled both of them, in order to update the drivers, and now I have only one of them and my keyboard doesn't work! Help!! Do you know a way around this without having to reinstall xp again???

Thanx...

A mac newbie :eek:

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Very nice! Except I've been running it for 7 months now.

Did you install the BootCamp drivers?

And make sure you get the update from
    http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

15. FoltaDesign macrumors newbie

New MBP

Does this work for the new MBP (Late 2008 unibody)? Also, the links are dead, is anybody able to reupload?

Thanks for your help!

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Is there a point in fiddling around this much with XP? Other than for fun, I'm not sure how this is practical.

17. FoltaDesign macrumors newbie

yes it is. I need to run 3ds max, and it would be nice to be able to use all of my 4gb ram. Can anybody help?

18. tviljoen macrumors newbie

XP 64 woes on new MBP

I also need to run XP 64 on a new MBP late 2008 unibody 2.8ghz to run OLAP software. XP 64 runs in bootcamp but I can't seem to get the ethernet and wifi to work. I have tried to follow some of the advice on the web, but I think the components may have been changed and that some of the steps/drivers may no longer be relevant. Has anyone else perhaps solved this riddle........

19. zzgus macrumors newbie

Is someone able to post those drivers in a single package and upload to some server?

My MacBookPro install discs are very old (mid-late 2007) and they don't have any reference to Bootcamp on the discs.

Thankyou
    Gus

20. zzgus macrumors newbie

Perhaps I can do the same with the bootcamp drivers of the Leopard DVD?

Thankyou
    Gus

21. Injen macrumors newbie

problems with XP64 on Windows Bootcamp Macbook pro

I am interested on how you managed to get XP64 to work on your macbook pro. I still can't get it to work, please do help. I have it installed but unfortunately bootcamp drivers are not compatible with this version. Please help.

22. Injen macrumors newbie

I read though the thread and try some of those links to the supported drivers but some of those links are not in service. Also my mac book pro shoots me a message stating to please update to sp 2. For some reason its not detecting the sp 2 when its already been installed. Is it possible this version of xp is bugged out? I must have a bad copy

23. zeusbap macrumors newbie

^^ I'm having this problem, too. Windows SP2 is not recognized by the bootcamp drivers on the Leopard disk. Running a high-end Mac Pro with install disks from 2008- version 10.5.1.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

24. artician macrumors newbie

Thank you for this wonderful guide. I had about given up on being able to use my WinXP 64 install on my mac, but following these instructions made it work wonderfully. Thank you again, so much!

I have one question/request - can anyone post up the hacked version of the bootcamp.msi that was available here before? It seems this topic is so old that the link has long since gone dead. I attempted to edit the MSI myself, but success was unattainable for me.

Thank you again!

25. Quintonm thread starter macrumors newbie