Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Nice!!! I do love me some pumpkin beers! Stouts, ales, porters, and anything else! I know a lot of folks don't like them, but I sure do!

Yeah, we do too, it's kind of an exciting time of the year when they start appearing, kind marking the fall/winter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, too much eating and drinking :D

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Yeah, we do too, it's kind of an exciting time of the year when they start appearing, kind marking the fall/winter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, too much eating and drinking :D

Agree on so many levels!

What are the pumpkin stouts actually like?

This Side of the Pond, I don't think I've ever come across one.

In general, I love Imperial Stouts.

There seems to be two sides to this camp, you either like them or you hate them. Which is apparent if you follow any beer related sites the amount of meme's that go back and forth over the subject.

They are basically your normal style of beer, with the added kick of pumpkin added to them.

Some good ones are (Going through my Untpped list)

Sam Adams 20 Pounds of Pumpkin - Only found this one in bottle, never had it on tap.
Ballast Point Pumpkin Down (Only had this one on tap last year, haven't seen it out yet)
Harpoon Imperial Pumpkin - Only had it on bottle
Blue Moon Pumpkin Harvest (I know it is a mass produced beer, but it isn't toooooo bad)
Rogue Pumpkin Ale - Bottle
Rumpkin by Avery Brewery - One of my favorites and this one packs a punch, both in flavor and ABV.
Dogfish Punkin Ale - Bottle and it an ok one
Night Owl Pumpkin Ale - Elysian Brewing - Good!
The Great Pumpkin Ale - Elysian Brewing - Good!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
There seems to be two sides to this camp, you either like them or you hate them. Which is apparent if you follow any beer related sites the amount of meme's that go back and forth over the subject.

They are basically your normal style of beer, with the added kick of pumpkin added to them.

Some are more pumpkin-ish, some more spiced ... others, right in the middle :D I like the pumpkin pie** type flavor, where it's got some pumpkin base, but layered with lots of nutmeg/vanilla/allspice, which really compliment a dark, rich malty stout (it's like a coffee-chocolate-pumpkin-pie). More of a sweet-er, desert-y type of beer (I'm usually good with just one).

Some seasonal/pumpkin beers I'd add to the list:

Cigar City - Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Southern Tier - Pumking
Weyerbacher - Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Dogfish Head - Punkin
Fat Head's - Spooky Tooth Imperial Pumpkin

We're headed up to Pittsburgh soon, so I'll be able to duck into Fat Head's and hopefully get the Spooky Tooth on draft ... :cool:

** I make this _crazy_ pumpkin chiffon pie that uses Drambuie, even people who "don't like pumpkin pie" flip out over it :)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Some are more pumpkin-ish, some more spiced ... others, right in the middle :D I like the pumpkin pie** type flavor, where it's got some pumpkin base, but layered with lots of nutmeg/vanilla/allspice, which really compliment a dark, rich malty stout (it's like a coffee-chocolate-pumpkin-pie). More of a sweet-er, desert-y type of beer (I'm usually good with just one).

Some seasonal/pumpkin beers I'd add to the list:

Cigar City - Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Southern Tier - Pumking
Weyerbacher - Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Dogfish Head - Punkin
Fat Head's - Spooky Tooth Imperial Pumpkin

We're headed up to Pittsburgh soon, so I'll be able to duck into Fat Head's and hopefully get the Spooky Tooth on draft ... :cool:

** I make this _crazy_ pumpkin chiffon pie that uses Drambuie, even people who "don't like pumpkin pie" flip out over it :)

Nice!!! I too like the pumpkin pie flavor type also. I have never even seen any of these with the exception of Dogfish! I can only imagine some of the brewery's that are local only and do not have distribution routes on either coast. I would bet there are some really good ones neither of us have had. If you look at the list from Beer Advocates, it is huge!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Nice!!! I too like the pumpkin pie flavor type also. I have never even seen any of these with the exception of Dogfish! I can only imagine some of the brewery's that are local only and do not have distribution routes on either coast. I would bet there are some really good ones neither of us have had. If you look at the list from Beer Advocates, it is huge!

Yeah, even larger micro breweries can be sort of localized, Southern Tier is out of New York (in the southwest, in an area called, well, yeah :D) They seem to be pretty well distributed along the east coast, Weyerbacher is in PA, but we get it down here at the more specialty type stores - but those are both east coast, so maybe they don't get all the way to the other coast!

We need to do a beer swap :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One of those nights.
Husband called to say he's on the train and home in a while.

I said, sure I'll wait before cracking it open (the wine, the wine!).

Changed my mind and to my chagrin I now find myself staring at a bottle of red, 2/3 gone.

#howdothesethingshappen

:eek:
:)

I'm laughing, reading this.

A situation not entirely unknown to me, it must be said.

Someone might be cranky when he gets home ;)

I doubt it, unless he is offered just a tiny tincture......

Haha!
Luckily there's another bottle. But on a work night? *tsk tsk*
Options are: Finish the lot, open a new one when he gets back… or come clean.

And why not both?

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I'm laughing, reading this.

A situation not entirely unknown to me, it must be said.
I doubt it, unless he is offered just a tiny tincture......
And why not both?
These Californian wines are just far too easy to drink.

Edit:
Geyser Peak 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon
[doublepost=1536867120][/doublepost]
just finish the bottle and play "dumb" :D
Not to make fun of things, but he'll think I've had a stroke. :) Such a cheap date I am.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
These Californian wines are just far too easy to drink.

Edit:
Geyser Peak 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon
[doublepost=1536867120][/doublepost]
Not to make fun of things, but he'll think I've had a stroke. :) Such a cheap date I am.

Well, do enjoy.

But, I have first hand personal experience of the situation wherein you find yourself; a bottle of palatable and more than quaffable wine inexplicably consumed almost in its entirety.

Tonight, I thought that a robust stout - rather than the Alsace wine I had in mind originally - would do the trick.

Thus, I am sipping a glass of Yellow Belly, a stunning stout from the Buxton Brewery.

Reactions: mobilehaathi

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
@arkitect Refill with anything resembling wine, hammer cork back in ... open later, smell and become outraged at the quality control of the vineyard!!

(also immediately run to the sink and pour it out ...)

"Well, I think I'd like to try it anyway"

"NO NO IT'S OBVIOUSLY BAD, MAYBE EVEN TOXIC!!"

Reactions: mobilehaathi

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I know that you like sours in general, but how did you find this sour ale?
An excellent beer, sour with a body similar to a saison style beer, hints of the wine barrels but not overwhelming. Quenching and delicious. I know Russian River gets a lot of attention for their DIPA (Pliny), but their other beers are top notch and tend to be styles I prefer over doubles.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.