Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Happy Memorial Day weekend! To accompany grilled catfish, Tripple Belgian Style Ale by New Belgium Brewery, hmm good. Grilled fish recipe forthcoming in the recipe thread. :)

2438EEB2-2CF3-45A0-B430-DD46C6ED59E7.jpeg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A white wine from Chile, a Chilean reserve that was a gift from my wine merchant.

The wine is a Chardonnay, and goes by the name of William Cole Vineyards - Estate Bottled - Colombine Special Reserve, Casablanca Valley, Chile.

A wonderfully rich, creamy, and buttery wine.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Tried Founders new entry into the cheap-o beer market: Solid Gold.

It's similar in taste/style to a light beer, but more flavorful without a doubt. In the U.S. they sell 12-packs of it and they're down near the Bud/Coors/Miller area. Worth a try if you want something crisp and cool in the warm summer.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Had an outstanding beer from the Bruery last night. Their famed "Black Tuedsay" 2018 edition. Aged for just over six months, I didn't want to wait any more and boy did it not disappoint! Clocking in at 19.5% this year! Wowzers! It packed a nice little punch and as it warmed up a little, the alcohol and the dark chocolate and vanilla flavors really come through! Outstanding beer, and yup I only needed the one for the night.

Attachments

• 1BB396B7-D316-470D-A74A-450E536D68AE.jpeg
    1BB396B7-D316-470D-A74A-450E536D68AE.jpeg
    673.1 KB · Views: 116

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Had an outstanding beer from the Bruery last night. Their famed "Black Tuedsay" 2018 edition. Aged for just over six months, I didn't want to wait any more and boy did it not disappoint! Clocking in at 19.5% this year! Wowzers! It packed a nice little punch and as it warmed up a little, the alcohol and the dark chocolate and vanilla flavors really come through! Outstanding beer, and yup I only needed the one for the night.

At 19.5%, " a nice little punch" - I can imagine that you only needed one!

That strength goes well beyond wine, into the territory of fortified wines (i.e. sherry or port).

Personally, while I like (very) strong and robust porters, and stouts, I find that much over 11% and the alcohol can come through too strongly, in the way it somites does with whisky (or whiskey).

Buxton had some wonderful stouts at around 11%, but offered a more robust version of one stout at 13% which I found unbalanced (in that "burn" of the alcohol overwhelmed everything else).

However, if the flavours in such a beer are balanced, then, I don't doubt that it can be superlative.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
At 19.5%, " a nice little punch" - I can imagine that you only needed one!

That strength goes well beyond wine, into the territory of fortified wines (i.e. sherry or port).

Personally, while I like (very) strong and robust porters, and stouts, I find that much over 11% and the alcohol can come through too strongly, in the way it somites does with whisky (or whiskey).

Buxton had some wonderful stouts at around 11%, but offered a more robust version of one stout at 13% which I found unbalanced (in that "burn" of the alcohol overwhelmed everything else).

However, if the flavours in such a beer are balanced, then, I don't doubt that it can be superlative.

While this one is very high, you don't really taste it. Is it strong yes, but does it taste like you are drinking bourbon, nope! That is the beauty of this one. The masking of the alcohol is done so well. You really taste nothing but the stout. Don't get me wrong there are definitely notes of bourbon that you will smell and every once in a while it will peak through. But that is more of the exception rather than the norm!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
While this one is very high, you don't really taste it. Is it strong yes, but does it taste like you are drinking bourbon, nope! That is the beauty of this one. The masking of the alcohol is done so well. You really taste nothing but the stout. Don't get me wrong there are definitely notes of bourbon that you will smell and every once in a while it will peak through. But that is more of the exception rather than the norm!

Ah, so they have succeeded in getting the balance right - rather than allowing the alcohol to overpower and overwhelm everything else.

Excellent: I hope you enjoyed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.