Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For some reason I have had this unquenchable craving lately for some of the Rochefort beers...

Are those three Rochefort Trappists from your own sublime cellar, or are they something that you have posted here just to tantalise and torment individuals such as myself?

Today being Saturday, I strolled into the best beer shop in my locality, a normally very well stocked spot. However, today, they only had a few Trappist Rochefort 6 beers, (and none at all, alas, of the Rochefort Trappist 10). As it happened, they also had none from St Bernardus Abt 12….and as for the Westvleteren, well, I might as well be asking for directions to El Dorado….

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Are those three Rochefort Trappists from your own sublime cellar, or are they something that you have posted here just to tantalise and torment individuals such as myself?

Today being Saturday, I strolled into the best beer shop in my locality, a normally very well stocked spot. However, today, they only had a few Trappist Rochefort 6 beers, (and none at all, alas, of the Rochefort Trappist 10). As it happened, they also had none from St Bernardus Abt 12….and as for the Westvleteren, well, I might as well be asking for directions to El Dorado….

While I was out at the market I stopped by the beer shop and couldn't resist picking up the triplet. ;)

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Beer? BlueMoon with an orange slice.
Wine? A California cab.
My go to drink: gin.
When something with a serious kick is needed: Moutai

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Well my curiosity got the best of me so I picked them up.

I'm trying the Weihenstephaner now. It's better than expected. I'd drink it again. I'll try the others later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
While I was out at the market I stopped by the beer shop and couldn't resist picking up the triplet. ;)

Well my curiosity got the best of me so I picked them up.

I'm trying the Weihenstephaner now. It's better than expected. I'd drink it again. I'll try the others later.

Ah. What can I say? Well, I am torn between a genuine joy and vicarious pleasure for you both, which struggles with the need to repress an unseemly display of……….pure envy as such delights seem to be beyond the wit of the stores in my vicinity to seek to stock.

Anyway, do, please enjoy them; and let me know how they taste, and what differences (significant and otherwise) exist between them…...

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Ah. What can I say? Well, I am torn between a genuine joy and vicarious pleasure for you both, which struggles with the need to repress an unseemly display of……….pure envy as such delights seem to be beyond the wit of the stores in my vicinity to seek to stock.

Anyway, do, please enjoy them; and let me know how they taste, and what differences (significant and otherwise) exist between them…...

Here's my evaluation.

The Weihenstephaner was good. It smelled and tasted fatty like a brat. Seriously. So I'll try it again when I make brats.

The Rochfort 6 was my least favorite. I generally don't care for dark beers. Maybe the flavor was stronger because I drank it immediately after the Weihenstephaner.

The Rochfort 8 I had the day just after noon (officially cocktail time in my house). It was better than the 6, but I don't know exactly why. I do think it was sweeter and warm.

The Rochfort 10 was my favorite among the Rochforts. I sat drinking it while taking with my daughter and found it very decent.

Now I'm grilling wings for the game and back to drinking Blue Moon with a since of orange. If I'm going to have several beers I prefer that. I guess I'm just a simpleton.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Here's my evaluation.

The Weihenstephaner was good. It smelled and tasted fatty like a brat. Seriously. So I'll try it again when I make brats.

The Rochfort 6 was my least favorite. I generally don't care for dark beers. Maybe the flavor was stronger because I drank it immediately after the Weihenstephaner.

The Rochfort 8 I had the day just after noon (officially cocktail time in my house). It was better than the 6, but I don't know exactly why. I do think it was sweeter and warm.

The Rochfort 10 was my favorite among the Rochforts. I sat drinking it while taking with my daughter and found it very decent.

Now I'm grilling wings for the game and back to drinking Blue Moon with a since of orange. If I'm going to have several beers I prefer that. I guess I'm just a simpleton.

No need to apologise for your own personal preferences. Each to their own.

However, I will add that my own tastes have changed (perhaps evolved might sound better?) over time. There was a time I would never have considered dark beer worth drinking; now, in winter, if I am to have a beer, I'll drink little else.

And thanks a lot for posting detailed tasting notes; and, I'll admit that I am envious because I have yet to lay hands on the Rochefort 8 and the Rochefort 10.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Thank you. I'll keep trying the dark beers. The recommendations are much appreciated.

The game and wings are on. Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I love red wine, and have a few glasses (or more) almost every night. Pinot Noir, Malbec, Zinfandel, Shiraz, Merlot, Barbera, and Nebiollio are all good go to wines.

While I don't drink beer that much anymore to avoid a beer gut, every once in a while I'll have a La Chouffe...a damn good Belgian beer.

La_Chouffe_Braserie_D_Achouffe_900.jpg

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I love red wine, and have a few glasses (or more) almost every night. Pinot Noir, Malbec, Zinfandel, Shiraz, Merlot, Barbera, and Nebiollio are all good go to wines.

While I don't drink beer that much anymore to avoid a beer gut, every once in a while I'll have a La Chouffe...a damn good Belgian beer.

Yup, this is one of my go to beers also. In fact my local Yard House has it on tap!!!!! And the local BJ's has it in bottles! One of the few beers I can find around my area all year long!!!

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Yup, this is one of my go to beers also. In fact my local Yard House has it on tap!!!!! And the local BJ's has it in bottles! One of the few beers I can find around my area all year long!!!

Sometimes it's not only the beer that's good, but the location! :)

This pic is from Holland in a fishing village called Volendam, the meal is smoked eel. Yummy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 92

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

It is an exceptionally good Belgian beer! Enjoy it.

I have a few extras if you are in the neighborhood, happy to share.

Click on the image to get a nice closeup.

Unfortunately, I am a very long way away from Florida; but most kind of you to offer.

Sometimes it's not only the beer that's good, but the location! :)

This pic is from Holland in a fishing village called Volendam, the meal is smoked eel. Yummy!

Fantastic setting - and what a beautifully presented platter and beer; yum.
I like eel very much, but have only eaten it in a Chinese dish or as Sushi.

I have eaten it in the Baltic States, in Ireland, Russia, and in a few other places. Delicious with beer.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
When something with a serious kick is needed: Moutai

The cheap stuff or the 10000 yuan stuff? I actually found a 40% Fenjiu 汾酒 for around 100 yuan, and it's infinitely much better than the 5 yuan stuff (but I guess that goes without saying).

I think you're misunderstanding how "beer gut" works, if you're a daily consumer of red wine.

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Seeing all the images of Rochefort inspired me pick some up at the local supermarket.;)

IMG_1081_zpsdoq9d17y.jpg

At €2 per bottle for the 10, and €1,65 for the 8 it’s a bit cheaper than the Anchor Porter at €2,65 per bottle.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Seeing all the images of Rochefort inspired me pick some up at the local supermarket.;)

At €2 per bottle for the 10, and €1,65 for the 8 it’s a bit cheaper than the Anchor Porter at €2,65 per bottle.

Happybunny: That is a seductive picture, andI am impressed and envious. Happy drinking to you. I know that you like the Rochefort 6 (a preference I strongly share) but what are your thoughts on the Rochefort 8 and the Rochefort 10?

Last night, with a nice, homemade dinner, (butcher's homemade sausages, the kind that take half an hour to sauté, and homemade root vegetable gratin) I sipped a Straffe Hendrik; delicious.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
The cheap stuff or the 10000 yuan stuff? I actually found a 40% Fenjiu 汾酒 for around 100 yuan, and it's infinitely much better than the 5 yuan stuff (but I guess that goes without saying).

There's plenty of counterfeit Moutai in China. I never paid even close to 10,000 yuan. I bought 5 bottles (53%) in 2003 and pretty sure I paid less than that for the sum of all.

The bottle in the picture was a gift from the 2006 Worlds in Guangzhou or '08 Olympics.

I've never bought it in the U.S.

----------

No need to apologise for your own personal preferences. Each to their own.

However, I will add that my own tastes have changed (perhaps evolved might sound better?) over time. There was a time I would never have considered dark beer worth drinking; now, in winter, if I am to have a beer, I'll drink little else.

And thanks a lot for posting detailed tasting notes; and, I'll admit that I am envious because I have yet to lay hands on the Rochefort 8 and the Rochefort 10.

Last night I bought four Rocheforts 10's along with three Weihenstephaner. (2 - Hefe Weissbier, 1 - Original.) I really liked the Original. I plan to use the Hefe Weissbier for brats. We will see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.