Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Looks like fun and a nice place to warm up :)

Wow, yeah, that sounds amazing (even in the ranks of Founders products which are all outstanding):

http://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/kbs/

I wonder if my local beer supplier will score this[?] He's gotten some pretty rare/limited products, I'll have to ask.

Aside from some one offs. It's pretty much their most sought after beer. Check out cbs too. But that was only bottle once in 2011. However it has popped up on draft in the past month. I was lucky enough to try on draft recently.

If you get distribution in your state then they should. The problem is this is one of those beers that doesn't necessarily hit the shelves. I would recommend asking if your store has a list and trying to get on it. They also have a special release called blushing monk that is my wife's favorite beer. Hasn't been bottled since 2011. It comes out beginning of March. Might be worth asking to get on that list too.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/25852/

When I first started getting into craft beer. The day kbs was released I could score 4-8 with a little effort. Last year I went to 10-15 stores and ended up with 1 bottle. So this year I'm not even messing with that. Got lucky and scored tickets when they went on sale online. They sold out in a minute. That lets me buy 12 bottles.

If you like the regular breakfast stout and like barrel aged beers. This is one of the best.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Excellent thanks. I've posted some pics in this thread, but we have a liquor store with a nice sized craft assortment (probably ~300 different products), and I'm pretty friendly with the manager who was responsible for expanding their offerings. They carry a good assortment of Founders already.

Dirty Bastard
All Day IPA
The "regular" Porter
Breakfast Stout
Curmudgeon Ale
Dark Penance

And I know they've had Backwoods Bastard which is a limited product too. I'll just have to make sure when the KBS hits, they hold a couple of (assuming) 4-packs, or a whole case!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Excellent thanks. I've posted some pics in this thread, but we have a liquor store with a nice sized craft assortment (probably ~300 different products), and I'm pretty friendly with the manager who was responsible for expanding their offerings. They carry a good assortment of Founders already.

Dirty Bastard
All Day IPA
The "regular" Porter
Breakfast Stout
Curmudgeon Ale
Dark Penance

And I know they've had Backwoods Bastard which is a limited product too. I'll just have to make sure when the KBS hits, they hold a couple of (assuming) 4-packs, or a whole case!

'Dirty Bastard' is one thing, as a name, (and would draw an intrigued glance from me - what is it like, by the way?), but any beer carrying a name such as 'Curmudgeon Ale' (wow, now, that is a classy moniker), or even the dry wit of something called 'Dark Penance' would have me skipping and trotting happily towards those shelves.

What on earth does 'Curmudgeon Ale' taste like? For the name alone, it is worth an award. I sincerely hope it tastes as good as it sounds. And I would harbour similar hopes for anything called 'Dark Penance'………I'll confess to an interest as to how that tastes, too.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
'Dirty Bastard' is one thing, as a name, (and would draw an intrigued glance from me - what is it like, by the way?), but any beer carrying a name such as 'Curmudgeon Ale' (wow, now, that is a classy moniker), or even the dry wit of something called 'Dark Penance' would have me skipping and trotting happily towards those shelves.

What on earth does 'Curmudgeon Ale' taste like? For the name alone, it is worth an award. I sincerely hope it tastes as good as it sounds. And I would harbour similar hopes for anything called 'Dark Penance'………I'll confess to an interest as to how that tastes, too.

A rule of thumb for founders is pretty much every beer is top notch. I am not good at descriptions so I added links with detailed reviews.

Dirty bastard is a very good Scottish ale. The barrel aged version is called backwoods bastard.

Below are reviews that could better describe their tastes.

Dirty bastard

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/7463/

Backwoods bastard
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/35036/

Curmudgeon ale is a old ale with molasses and then oak aged. They once bottled a special version called curmudgeons better half. Where they added Michigan maple syrup and aged in bourbon barrels.

Curmudgeon

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/24905/

Curmudgeons better half.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/77260/

Dark penance is new to the product line. A American black ale. I have not had it yet. There is one in the fridge I should drink.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/127483/

----------

And dt. They probably will get kbs. The distributors usually give it to stores based on founders sales. So if it's a popular store. They will likely get more than a small mom and pop shop.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A rule of thumb for founders is pretty much every beer is top notch. I am not good at descriptions so I added links with detailed reviews.

Dirty bastard is a very good Scottish ale. The barrel aged version is called backwoods bastard.

Below are reviews that could better describe their tastes.

Dirty bastard

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/7463/

Backwoods bastard
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/35036/

Curmudgeon ale is a old ale with molasses and then oak aged. They once bottled a special version called curmudgeons better half. Where they added Michigan maple syrup and aged in bourbon barrels.

Curmudgeon

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/24905/

Curmudgeons better half.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/77260/

Dark penance is new to the product line. A American black ale. I have not had it yet. There is one in the fridge I should drink.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/127483/

----------

And dt. They probably will get kbs. The distributors usually give it to stores based on founders sales. So if it's a popular store. They will likely get more than a small mom and pop shop.

Thank you for posting those detailed tasting notes and reviews. Needless to say, I read them with great interest.

I will more than certainly keep an eye out for 'Curmudgeon Ale' (what a wonderful name; I'd buy the beer just for that alone), as the tasting notes suggest that this would meet the requirements of what I like in a winter beer.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Thank you for posting those detailed tasting notes and reviews. Needless to say, I read them with great interest.

I will more than certainly keep an eye out for 'Curmudgeon Ale' (what a wonderful name; I'd buy the beer just for that alone), as the tasting notes suggest that this would meet the requirements of what I like in a winter beer.

:thumbsup

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Well, while we're on the topic of Founders, I recently had a draught pint of the Black Rye that was quite tasty. It followed a Bell's Two-Hearted and was followed by a neat Jefferson's Reserve "Very Old."

T'was a good day. :D

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Well, while we're on the topic of Founders, I recently had a draught pint of the Black Rye that was quite tasty. It followed a Bell's Two-Hearted and was followed by a neat Jefferson's Reserve "Very Old."

T'was a good day. :D

Black rye. Another one in the fridge I have not tried yet.

Two hearted is a great go to beer. Readily available. Decently priced. And a lot of flavor.

Not too big into liquor. But I like the name very old.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Black rye. Another one in the fridge I have not tried yet.

Two hearted is a great go to beer. Readily available. Decently priced. And a lot of flavor.

Not too big into liquor. But I like the name very old.

I love Bell's and Founders, but I can't get Bell's where I live. So, inevitably, I go for the Two Hearted whenever I find one during travels. Once summer hits, I'll be seriously hard up for some Oberon....:mad:

If you ever find yourself in the market for a sublime bourbon, look no further than Jefferson's Reserve!

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
I love Bell's and Founders, but I can't get Bell's where I live. So, inevitably, I go for the Two Hearted whenever I find one during travels. Once summer hits, I'll be seriously hard up for some Oberon....:mad:

If you ever find yourself in the market for a sublime bourbon, look no further than Jefferson's Reserve!

I once got a keg of Oberon for my wife's bday party. Everyone was drinking it like it was bud light. It got really sloppy really fast. But that is a great refreshing beer.

Anybody in here get their hands on pappy van winkle? I was on the search. Trying to give someone my hard earned $400. But it all got snatched up.

I probably would of never drank it though. Flipping it for 4.5x profit would of been too tempting. Even though that's really against what I usually stand for.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I have been trying to get my hands on their Breakfast Stout.......!

That's usually pretty available in a store with a moderately decent selection, it's good one. In fact, last time we were up in PA, there's a "fresh market" type grocery around the corner from the FIL, had a nice selection, and pretty much all the Founders usual suspects :)

I love Bell's and Founders, but I can't get Bell's where I live.

I'm aware of this fact, so let me take this opportunity to give you this:

:p

(I keed, I keed)

That brand has come up a few times in my bourbon research, I'll have to make a point to track some down.

Speaking of bourbon, we've been making bourbon drinks recently, one of our favorites is equal parts [good] bourbon, gin (yes ... gin) a couple of jiggers of rhubarb bitters, a twisted wedge of a good, sweet orange - lots of ice. Outstanding. :cool:

I once got a keg of Oberon for my wife's bday party.

My beer store had the small, disposable kegs (posted a pic in this thread), for 1/2 price, like $12 or so, love Oberon, so drinkable, but like you said - a little _too_ drinkable :D

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Speaking of bourbon, we've been making bourbon drinks recently, one of our favorites is equal parts [good] bourbon, gin (yes ... gin) a couple of jiggers of rhubarb bitters, a twisted wedge of a good, sweet orange - lots of ice. Outstanding. :cool:

Now that's a fascinating cocktail. As a lover of both good gin and good bourbon, I'll have to note this for the future!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Now that's a fascinating cocktail. As a lover of both good gin and good bourbon, I'll have to note this for the future!

Yeah, you know, people think gin doesn't play well with other spirits, or is only happy with tonic or vermouth, but it adds a really interesting flavor - you've got the rich, earthiness of the bourbon with the botanical/juniper flavors, good stuff.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
I believe I have mentioned 18th street brewery that has been blowing up over the last couple years. As well as Copenhagen based mikeller. Here is their collab called grapefruit dead. Sounds promising. I haven't been his excited for a dipa in a while.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424819132.840791.jpg

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31042/129977/

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Wine and Beer Enthusiasts

Oh, my wine shop carries a lot of mikeller, I should look out for that. I've enjoyed a lot of what they do.

So it was bottled today and I couldn't pass up drinking an ipa that fresh. It was great. I don't know if you have had any three floyds double iPas but it drank very similar to one of those. Not sure if it'll be distributed but definitely recommend picking up if it is.

I got two bottles of it and on my way home three floyds tweeted a new release. I had to tend to the baby on my own tonight and was not going to make it. A buddy went and got that bottle and we traded. It's a imperial stout, and to my surprise., I believe it is the first beer produced by the new three floyds + mikeller collab brewery in Copenhagen called war pigs. It's on the neck of the beer below. Pretty good beer day overall.

Any people here with access to Copenhagen should check this place out. I'm sure it will not disappoint. Two world class breweries creating a brewpub together. It has to be awesome.

Black flame:
The Black Flame - (La Flama Negro) It burns brights for those who care to notice. It takes a true beer lover to stray from the norm and experience real flavor. If you can't handle the black flame, you can't handle adventure. Made in conjunction with Mikkeller.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424830636.803062.jpg

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Rough day, decided to treat myself to a Founder's Imperial Stout. Photo is obviously not mine. Pours black as night, with a nice brown head that persists for the entire course of drinking it. Has a slightly bitter and moderately sweet chocolate malt taste. Definitely not a brew you can sit and have multiple of. One or two are enough.

founders-imperial-stout.jpg

Really debating about having another one or not, my body is telling me yes, but my mind is telling me no.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I seem to have found myself in possession of a six pack of habanero Scuplin IPA. Hmmmmm, I didn't know they made this...

That looks to be a exciting combination, can you let me know how it tastes.

----------

Twenty four is what you usually find in a crate. Twenty four bottles of St Bernardus Abt 12, were bought at my request (this is not an easily obtained beer, and nor is it produced in large quantities). With great restraint, I decided to forego utter greed and contented myself with sixteen of those twenty four

24 is the standard crate, once upon a time that was the only way that the breweries would sell their beers. Nowdays you can by per bottle.
I am talking about direct sales at the brewery gates.

----------

Came across an interesting article today on the battle that's brewing :)rolleyes:) between the craft beer movement and the large purveyors of carbonated alcoholic urine.

For America's craft beer revolution, brewing battle has come to a head

Actually, I find myself in complete agreement with that remark.

Historically, the dismal quality of US beer (and indeed, in former times, US wine, too) has left me, as a European, with a marked prejudice against them; the beer is truly terrible.

Very interesting reading. A fresh take on the old 'quality' versus 'quantity' argument. Let's hope the craft beer movement are victorious in this brewing battle; not only would it be better for the customer, - and the market - it would be far better for the reputation of the beers, too.

That's always the trouble today when craftmanship is taken over by corporations only intrested in mass-production.

The quality of US micro breweries are a true asset to the world at large.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Actually, I never put any of these beers in the fridge; they stay in the cellar, which is the washroom, where my suitcases are also stowed. However, it is rather well stocked, with wines, beers, and serious whiskeys and cognacs and ports……..

Good beers, like good wine, are best consumed at something approximating to room temperature, so that one can savour them on one's palate, rather than have one's taste buds stunned by something frozen.

I know what is it with Americans and ice/ice cold beers. If you want something iced buy snow cone.;)

The Europeans have been brewing beer and ales for centuries, on the labels it gives the ideal temprature for serving, which is normally between 5C ~ 12C.
The average American I've come into contact with serves beers far to cold.
There was a poster on the this forum who once complained that when he was in the Netherlands, the beer Heineken was not tapped ice cold, I explained that the ideal temperature for Heineken was 5C~7C. This answer what do the Dutch know about brewing Heineken.

End of RANT.:p

----------

Dirty Bastard
All Day IPA
The "regular" Porter
Breakfast Stout
Curmudgeon Ale
Dark Penance

I have heard great things about Breakfast Stout, but every Founders beer is a top quality product.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
I enjoy stouts by starting fairly cold and drinking slow to let it warm. It's amazing to see how much the flavor changes.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL

Dirty Bastard
All Day IPA
The "regular" Porter
Breakfast Stout
Curmudgeon Ale
Dark Penance

Dirty Bastard is one of the best Scotch Ales around

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Rough day, decided to treat myself to a Founder's Imperial Stout. Photo is obviously not mine.

I was about to say, wow, my counter top pics looks pretty lame by comparison :D Fantastic brew.

I have heard great things about Breakfast Stout, but every Founders beer is a top quality product.

It's terrific and you're so right, you could just pull Founders products at random and not be disappointed.

Dirty Bastard is one of the best Scotch Ales around

Yeah, I don't drink many scotch ales, but when I want to break up my pattern which seems to be (outside of seasonals) bouncing back and forth between IPAs and darker options like porters, that's one of my go to beers.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I know what is it with Americans and ice/ice cold beers. If you want something iced buy snow cone.;)

The Europeans have been brewing beer and ales for centuries, on the labels it gives the ideal temprature for serving, which is normally between 5C ~ 12C.
The average American I've come into contact with serves beers far to cold.
There was a poster on the this forum who once complained that when he was in the Netherlands, the beer Heineken was not tapped ice cold, I explained that the ideal temperature for Heineken was 5C~7C. This answer what do the Dutch know about brewing Heineken.

End of RANT.:p

----------

To be honest, I don't mind my lagers ice-cold in summer; the taste is not the issue, and their alcohol level is usually not terribly high. Besides, one tends to drink them fairly rapidly, too.

However, those rich, luscious, tasty (and alcoholic) dark beers are best at room temperature, so that they can be sipped and savoured, so that one can actually taste what one id drinking. The very best of them have incredibly layered and complex flavours, and putting them in the fridge merely renders them tasteless.

From what everyone has written about the Founder's Beers, they do sound as though they would be well worth tracking down. Yum. Shall try to see if I can lay my mitts on any of them…….Curmudgeon, mmmm, now, that is a name to roll off the tongue, and Dirty Bastard sounds fascinating, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.