Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

X86Project claims that the first versions of WINE for Intel Macs has been complied and running (screenshots).

The Darwine Project has been working to port WINE to run under Mac OS X. WINE is a compatibility layer that has allowed x86 PCs to run Windows Applications under Unix/Linux operating systems. This is accomplished by re-engineering Windows system calls used by individual applications. As a result, the performance of the applications should be native as no emulation is required.

It appears compatibility at this early stage is still limited, but will Mac offer users one alternative to using Windows applications under Mac OS X on the new Intel Macs. A few commercial projects providing the entire Windows environment are reportedly under way, including Microsoft's own VirtualPC application. Also, efforts to dual boot Windows on the new Intel Macs are still underway.

wedge antilies

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
Adelaide, Australia, MAAAATE!
It's really only a matter of time.

For home, I don't really care about PC emulation, but at work, I have a PC box and Mac mini on my desk, and I would prefer to have a iMac or Mac Book Pro or Mac Pro.

Anyway, I think this has some real potential.., bring on the switchers.:)

mandis

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
UK
GUSTO said:
Looks like we will have the best of both worlds soon on our Macs ;)

I really hope so!
Although this could have a very negative effect. Software companies could see this as an opportunity to develop even less native software for the mac. :(

pauldunlop

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
It should probably be pointed out that the Darwine project has had only a small amount of input in this release so far. Codeweavers have actually done about 80% of the work on getting WINE ported over so far.

Credit where credit is due, n' all that!

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Well this is very good news for the people who need some windows apps.

And I think this can make an impact for some IT managers too.

But not for me...G5 ;)

ScottB

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
Britain
I've been checking the Darwine site for ages, wondering why a bigger deal was not being made of it. This will make life so much easier. I'm not sure how it works but dosn't this mean any mac with this software installed will be susceptible to viruses?

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Let me get this right, will I be able to natively run Windows apps on an Intel Mac? How's it working? Live translation like Rosetta?

Anyway, I can't wait for this one. Maybe I could pack the Win laptop in a drawer for good.

PS: Yuck, the grey win apps sure look ugly in osx. Oh well, at least the menu bar buttons are at the right (left) place and the windows have shadows. :)

index.php

ScottB

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
Britain
Good. This means I can test web pages for compatability in IE6 on my mac! I'm hungry for more screens.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
yellow said:
No, because the OS is still Mac OS X, which is still immunte to Windows viruses.
Yes and no. All trojan horses which are simple .exe files will run in WINE.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
GUSTO said:
Looks like we will have the best of both worlds soon on our Macs ;)

Why in the HELL do I want to run Windows, ever, on a Mac? And why are too many idiots spending their time thinking of making it work? Jesus, what a waste of effort.
This is speculation, but I'd bet my house that the first REAL Vista virus is waiting for Vista's release. So why would I want to destroy my productivity so I can run that vertical marketing crap-application that's only available on a crap-PC? I'll buy the crap-box from evil Wal-Mart. When it dies, I toss it, much like a used Preperation-H towlette.

There is no "best" in the WIN world. It's an abomination. Vista on a Mac is like having a mole on your skin that might one day turn to cancer.

Keep your mole.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
YES!! That is awesome news. No need to have that windows PC around!! ....and even better that you don't have to dual boot...just do it all under one OS....great news...

ruud

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2004
MrCrowbar said:
Let me get this right, will I be able to natively run Windows apps on an Intel Mac? How's it working? Live translation like Rosetta?
There is no translation, the actual x86 windows executable runs unmodified. (Dar)wine provides the system calls that the windows process needs. It's essentially a reimplementation of the windows API on top of the Unix/X11 API provided by OSX. Hence: Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Everyone should note that if you read the forum thread he says that this is still in very early stages of development. He's not sure what the problem is, but most applications won't run yet.

manu chao said:
Some of them won't have effects that actually do anything when executed in a WINE environment, though.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
manu chao said:

Yes they will run, but they won't infect the Mac OS X partion of your system. And it's unknown to me if they will be able to automagically attempt to perpetuate themselves via darWINE. Of course, the original posters asked about viruses, and a TJ is not a virus.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
yellow said:
No, because the OS is still Mac OS X, which is still immunte to Windows viruses.

And what if the virus just SITS on the PC side, and is MADE to delete your documents folder on the Mac side... which doesn't have to deal with permissions since you are logged in as that user? I'm not sure how the actual beast will work, but scenarios like these can't be ruled out.
Warning: You will get what you deserve.
Promise: I won't say I told you so, but there will be zero sympathy for the trail-blazers.
None.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
MrCrowbar said:

It's a bit like how you run Classic apps on PPC Mac OS X.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I have one and only one question....Office 2003....spec...Access 2003. Yes/No

If no then this is useless to me. Games I don't care about because nothing short of dual booting is going to make them "snappy".

Oh and people PLEASE shut up with the virus FUD. :rolleyes:

nostaws

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2006
I use three apps on the PC for which there is no viable mac alternative. None of them really require internet access. If I were really paranoid about viruses and the such, I would simply not connect while using those apps.

Plus I am hoping for dual boot. It doesn't SEEM like these current "environments" support external devices like usb a foot pedal.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Les Kern said:
And what if the virus just SITS on the PC side, and is MADE to delete your documents folder on the Mac side... which doesn't have to deal with permissions since you are logged in as that user? I'm not sure how the actual beast will work, but scenarios like these can't be ruled out.
Warning: You will get what you deserve.
Promise: I won't say I told you so, but there will be zero sympathy for the trail-blazers.
None.

You do realize that the scenario you just described would work on OS X without even needing Windows. If you yourself can delete files there is nothing stopping a script from doing the same. :rolleyes: Basically all you are doing is spreading FUD.

Les Kern said:
Why in the HELL do I want to run Windows, ever, on a Mac? And why are too many idiots spending their time thinking of making it work? Jesus, what a waste of effort.

And why the heck are there still people who are so clueless that they ask a question that has been answered several dozen times over yet still insist in asking the stupid question anyways.

Take your elitist attitude somewhere else. The rest of us will continue to live in real world where Windows owns 90% of the desktop market and where Microsoft Office (With MS Access and Outlook) rules. Your anti-Microsoft attitude may work on your home PC but for those of use who actually use our computers for business that kind of attitude will pretty much get your locked out of most jobs. It’s a fricking computer for god sake not a dang religion. Grow up.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
As Eric Cartman would say "sweeeet"...... I got to love WINE on SuSE but a stable port of it to Mac OSX would be totally killer.

I think if they could do something like WINE X it would be even better, but anyway this is a totally cool start :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.