Winterboard has been updated with new settings

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by UngratefulNinja, Apr 2, 2010.

1. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

One in particular, you can now opt to move the wb settings into the default settings app and "hide" the icon. I like that. There's also a new "summerboard mode" but I'm not exactly sure what it does. Also, in case anyone was hesitating on getting the update to make sure it was stable, it's fine on my 3g 3.1.2.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The move to settings menu is automatic, not an option. But as stated, you can hide the WB icon.

Make sure and remove the old Winterboard settings extension first if you are using that as I was.

3. UngratefulNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Yes, sorry about the phrasing- the option is to hide the wb icon :)

4. luvu01 macrumors regular

can you just hide the icon from some other app that can hide icon? such as sbsetting

5. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I've been using the Winterboard Settings app (installed via deb) for quite some time. Is this the same thing or should I uninstall my WB Settings and update WB?

Just curious, does the settings page include everything below (this is my current installed Winterboard Settings app):

Attached Files:

6. Tu13es macrumors regular

There are bugfixes and stuff in Winterboard so you probably want to grab the real one now.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Read post #2

The important controls are there, plus a couple of new ones.

8. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Thanks. I didn't see your comment to remove the old settings app first, but I was hoping for specific answers on the toggles, not just "the important ones are there" :D

By the way, what is "Pincrush" that got installed along with the new Winterboard?

9. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Just installed it. There are 3 toggles (Hide Winterboard, Debug Logging and Summerboard Mode). And the regular theme list, along with an option to 'optimize themes'.

When I put the summerboard mode off, all my icons lost the theme. I was reading saurik's blog, and the folder 'Icons' is only there because of backward compatibility with summerboard, and the way to theme the icons is pretty different in winterboard (and very annoying). So, I suggest you leave the summerboard option ON

'Pincrush' is what 'optimizes' the .png files for the themes.

10. UngratefulNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Thanks, I was wondering what that toggle was for :)

11. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Thanks. I installed, and I'm actually disappointed somewhat. I wanted to see the springboard only option as I believe that is beneficial to those of us that don't use themes to alter apps.

Question: So if I hit the "optimize" button (scares me), am I supposed to see some increased rendering speed or something? Any negatives to that?

12. mreddys10 macrumors regular

I am actually scared of using that too :D I use a custom theme, and I'm not sure how that gets affected with this option, since he says that we can 'download' the theme again to restore it to its original state.

13. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

You go first :D:D;);)

14. mreddys10 macrumors regular

LOL! I already risked it by turning off the summerboard mode. Its your turn ;)

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm waiting for all of you to screw things up first, before I install. :)

16. himni macrumors regular

I hit optimize and it took a couple minutes to do but everything still works. I don't know if it made things better but they also aren't worse.

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Sounds like it's time for the "I double dog dare you" to come out ! :eek:

18. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Ha! I have all weekend to wait. And btw, 'pincrush' was updated yesterday because it was causing problems. The dev says everything is fixed though.

19. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I'm always afraid of what we call in the software business, "undocumented features" ;)

20. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

There was a lot of info on this on Saurik's twitter.

My guess is the compression of the PNG's will save some system memory, but I haven't played. I don't use Winterboard at all because it used to take up to much memory for me. Maybe I'll try now.

21. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

i have my theme pretty customized, i'm d/l the update now and i guess i'll guinnea pig it! if my phone goes fubar and i have to do a restore i'm gonna be pissed though because i need to leave soon! i'll report back in a minute!

well i did it and it definitely hasn't seemed to have broken anything. Seems snappier after a respring to pop up all of the lockinfo stuff and load the themes, etc. before after a respring i would usually end up in safe mode at least once, sometimes 3 or 4 times before it would finally respring. I've tried 5 resprings now and haven't had it go into safe mode once. Guess we will see how the stability holds up after a day or two, but i would say you are safe to go ahead and hit that button, definitely didn't make anything worse!

22. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Okay, if it was still April 1, I'd say no way to following your lead, but since it's not, I'm watching "reticulating splines" right now :)

23. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

haha i'm not that cruel :p

24. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Everything appears to be fine. It may be a little snappier, or it might just be the placebo effect. :)

25. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

How's your springboard memory usage?