Wired Backup to Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Olly080580, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Olly080580 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Im having speed issues backing up my white macbook to a new time capsule. I believe this is due to the fact I'm using airport. (About 1GB per hour). I want to carry out the backup wired. Can I just link the macbook to the time capsule using a standard network cable? How then do I check it is using the network cable rather than the wireless?
    Regards
    Olly

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

First, are you sure you have the TC configured for "n"?

But to address your question - you can connect either wirelessly or via the enet hub and access the TC drive (it should show up exactly the same).

If your MacBook's Network Pref is set to the default "Auto" location, it should detect when you connect to enet automatically. If it doesn't, try turning off the Airport. (the "Auto" location should have both the Airport and enet in its device list).

Even if your TC is running at full wireless speed [on "n"], it's still much faster to do the initial full TM backup via wired enet - then switch back to Airport for the incremental backups. It just depends on how fast you need the initial backup completed. At 'n' speeds, you can just leave it go overnight (depending, of course, on how much data you have to backup).