Wired has high praise for Apple Pencil

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rogifan, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I hope it's as good as they say and I hope next year it works with the new iPad Air.

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/incredible-power-apple-inside-new-stylus/

2. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

im still waiting to see Lisa Gade's review... and if you want to hear an honest review, you should wait too.

3. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Common sense that anything is better than a capactive stylus. Wired is just repeating what everyone has been saying for the longest time.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Where did the quote I posted mention capactive? Or are you assuming they just meant any of the current stylus that work with iPad?

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Who's that?

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

So......

And let's be 100% clear about this now.
    Are we all now saying a Stylus is a good thing to have?
    As this viewpoint certainly has not been the case here for many years.

Anyone here, still holding onto their rock solid views of the past 5? years that a Stylus is bad and Apple should not have one on a tablet.
    Or are all those many many people just now keeping quiet, or, now Apple HAS made one, are suddenly changing their mind on the subject?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't think there was ever a "rock solid" consensus that stylus was bad. In fact, I remember there being lots of posts, all the way back from the first iPad, bemoaning that Apple didn't make a stylus. I think many people argued that Apple will never make one, but thinking that Apple won't make one doesn't equal thinking that a stylus is a bad idea.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Oh, I'm not saying everyone on the forums was against a Stylus.
    I myself have always promoted the idea.
    I'm saying there were many posters here, who were rock solid against such a device, and poured scorn of other brands for using such a device with a tablet.

9. case2001 macrumors 6502

The stylus has a place with the iPad market as several 3rd party manufacturers have shown. I have a couple of the Adonit products and they are great. In the scientific and engineering fields a stylus will make note taking so much easier. The artists clearly have a requirement.

The main thing is the stylus is a supplement for certain tasks but it is not the primary way to interact with the iPad. In other words you don't have to have a pencil to use the iPad, but if your uses include drawing, diagrams, mathematics, then the pencil is a great add on.

An additional bonus is being able to read on half of the screen and take notes in a different app on the other side of the screen. I open my MacBook Air and use it to display the information and use my iPad Air 2 to take notes.

I am excite about the iPad Pro and the stylus!

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I agree with this 100%

Fingers are great at tapping on icons or swiping the screen, but useless at anything fine or writing, drawing etc etc.

Likewise games without a controller are often useless also
    pressing left right and fire buttons on a sheet of smooth glass is just a joke.

11. Dave245 macrumors 601

I think a stylus/ the Apple pencil is a good idea, sometimes to just want to write something down, or draw or even edit documents (as shown with Microsofts demo) and for those cases I think the Apple pencil will be great on the iPad Pro, I also think it will add to the experience of using certain apps and or the iPad Pro itself, with that huge screen it will be great to be able to draw on.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How many stylus's are on the market with this type of engineering to reduce latency to near zero? NONE.

I've been watching the development of the stylus through patents for nearly three years now. This thing is a marvel, and with all Apple gen 1 products, this is only the beginning.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...ore-light-on-their-ipen-graphics-program.html

There are some really terrific products coming down the pipeline if you pay attention to what apple updates in their patents. The next 5 years are going to be truly staggering, as if the last haven't already been.

13. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Btw, based on tweets I've seen from current and ex-Apple employees it sure sounds like both the Pencil and 3D Touch were stuff Apple has been working on for years (Jony Ive said as much in that Bloomnerg interview). It's entirely possible that Apple was prototyping some of this stuff when Steve was still around.

https://twitter.com/lindadong/with_replies

I think Steve's diss of the stylus was more about it being a requirement (like with resistive screens) than something optional for specific use cases. But Steve was also very good at dissing something Apple didn't have at the time even though it was being worked on within the company. Like video on the iPod or when he said nobody reads anymore as Apple was working on the iBooks store.

14. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Couldn't agree more. This is definitely what I've wanted with the iPad in regard to school and some creative work too.

Looking forward to using it.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...ith-the-introduction-of-the-apple-pencil.html

Work on the Stylus began in 2006. If you rewatch Steve's comments on the stylus's of the day he has VERY specific reasons, the biggest being many smartphone's at the time were using a stylus as THE input device.

16. prowlmedia macrumors 68000

Agreed - can you post some of the other patents you are looking at. Would love to see them.

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Steve Jobs said a phone should not need one. That was many years ago now.
    And Steve Jobs is dead. He does not run Apple any longer and his words, while they used to dictate the direction of Apple, are not Apple's constitution. Apple no longer need do what he said.

Steve didn't like small tablets. After his death, the iPad mini was released and went on to sell better than the full sized iPad.
    Steve liked skeuomorphic user interfaces. After his death, Apple eliminated them all.
    Steve didn't like styli. Apple is now free to create one if they want. And the early reports all say it's a good one.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Honestly if you want to get lost in your head for a day, just swim through Patently Apple's collection.

Hint: There is a reason why so many gestures, swipes, and now 3D Touch have been rolled out at the same time that Apple keeps extending their exclusive rights to Liquid Metal ;)

19. prowlmedia macrumors 68000

Hmm you thinking cases? New trackpads - this magic keyboard that's been rumoured?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well for one, Apple's move to wireless power is the most well thought out in an ecosystem I've ever seen.

But my hint was referring to the next major shell design of the iPhone.

21. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

22. Liffey macrumors regular

Touch has always been better for OS navigation.
    Stylus has always been better for artistic applications.
    iPad Pro is the first touch-enabled Apple device with a true focus on art applications, so it's natural that it is the first one with a stylus. And of course it still has touch for OS navigation.

23. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

If Apple had replaced touch with stylus, that would be going back. This is a supplement tool for supplemental uses. And as someone who's used wacoms since they required ADB and always for non artistic uses, more choice is a good thing.

Now if we can get the rest of the models updated!

24. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I really want an iPad Pro.

My main problem Is coming up with a reason to own one, as I have no real use.

Games will be glorious I'm sure :)

25. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Piggie, you have an Amiga 500....if you can justify having that piece of ancient tech wonder, surely you can justify an iPad Pro. ;)