Wired MacMini Mouse Recommendation due to BT issues

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by N9JIG, Apr 18, 2019.

1. N9JIG macrumors member

N9JIG

With all the issues related to the poor Bluetooth performance on the 2018 Mac Mini does anyone have a suggestion for the best wired mouse? I am looking for one with the same swiping action as the Magic Mouse or my Logitech UltraThin but wired to avoid BT altogether.

I can already plug my Magic Keyboard into the Lightning cable and use it that way and would do the same for the newer Magic Mouse had the port been on the back as it should have been...

2. adamk77 macrumors 6502a

adamk77

Are you currently having bluetooth issues with the Magic Mouse? Because there is an easy solution to all this without buying a new mouse.

3. N9JIG thread starter macrumors member

N9JIG

Occasionally, yes.

I am aware of all the reported solutions, like not using the outermost USB-A port, turning off WiFi and relocating other devices like back-up hard drives etc. Even with all that done I still have some of these issues.

I have an older Magic Mouse (with the AA batteries) and my Logitech UltraThin mouse works better but even there I get BT issues, most notably reduced range. Even with the mouse less than a foot away it gets spotty.

4. adamk77 macrumors 6502a

adamk77

For me, not connecting the outermost port to a device that draws a lot of power does the trick. But if this isn't the case for you, then I'm not sure.

I'm not aware of any wired mouse that can handle the gestures like on the Apple Magic Mouse. The only thing that I can think of that comes close is the Apple trackpad, which you can use wired. This is what I use. However, it's not a mouse so it may be a deal breaker for you.

5. F-Train, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

F-Train macrumors 65816

Logitech makes mouses that work both wirelessly without Bluetooth (via a USB-A receiver) and wired.

It also now offers a USB-C mouse (the Vertical mouse).

I recently purchased a G900. It has been discontinued, and I paid US$85 for it on Amazon instead of its regular price of $150. It's an excellent mouse, offering a good deal of customisation - worth keeping an eye out for one.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2019 ---
    Here's a thread that I started about the G900 and alternatives: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/if-youre-having-mini-bluetooth-mouse-problems.2167133/#post-27046861

6. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

I have used a basic $8.00 Logitech wired mouse for years..... comfortable to my hands (either right or left), reliable, durable, no problems.

Bought a wireless Logitech to use with the MacBook Air last year, but it didn't seem to work right with that for some reason. Plugged the receiver into my Mac Mini several months ago, and it has worked fine without so much as a battery change sine then.

The wired Logitech is now plugged into the hub I use with the Air when I use it on my desk at home. It continues to work just fine.

7. N9JIG thread starter macrumors member

N9JIG

I am specifically looking for a mouse similar to the Magic Mouse and UltraThin that has a swiping pad. I can also go with a non-Bluetooth wireless (RF) type but really like the swiping feature. If I cannot find one with that I might try going back to a rotary mouse.

Now, if Apple had designed the Magic Mouse with the lightning port in the proper place like they did the keyboard I would be all over that!

8. Fishrrman, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019

Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Get a Logitech wireless mouse (the kind that works with its own "radio receiver" that is NOT bluetooth).

To go with it, get a USB3 "extension cable" so that you can relocate the Logitech receiver away from the back of the Mini and closer to the physical location of your mouse.

Do this, and I predict that your "mousing" will become problem-free from that point.

Personal experience:
    I use an OLD Macally keyboard (looks like an older IBM-style keyboard) that has USB ports on either end. I just plug the Logitech receiver into the USB port that's close to the mouse. Works perfectly, and has worked this way for years and years...

9. N9JIG thread starter macrumors member

N9JIG

That is exactly what I want to do but it appears Logitech no longer has the "Touch" style mice on their website. They all have scroll wheels. If they sold a mouse like the UltraThin Touch with a USB cable or an RF transceiver I would snap it right up!

10. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

I got the magic trackpad 2 from an ebay seller in ny for $100 (dark grey). It works perfect but I do keep it plugged in. I normally don’t like trackpads but this one is pretty amazing.

11. toke lahti macrumors 68020

Is BT still using 2.4GHz?
    Traditionally best solution has been to restrict wifi to use only 5GHz, so BT and wifi are using different frequecies.

12. smbu2000 macrumors regular

You might also consider a combination if you can't find the exact one/type that you are looking for. I mainly use my wired Razer Deathadder, but I also have a Magic Trackpad 1 set up next to it that I also use. I just switch between them for certain tasks. The Trackpad also works great for gestures like zooming in, etc. that my regular mouse can't do.

I wasn't initially planning on using the Trackpad, but I found it for relatively cheap and picked it up. I've had no problems with the BT connection to my 2018 Mini.

13. lowkey macrumors 6502a

I got my MacMini i7 about 2 weeks ago. I initially used it with an older Magic Mouse with brand new batteries and got constant dropouts every few minutes.

I switched over to a spare Magic Mouse I had that was the newer design with the built in battery and I have literally not had a single dropout in more than a week.

Perhaps try a new Magic Mouse and see how it goes.

14. Reality4711 macrumors 6502a

Reality4711

Just asking!

How common is the BlueTooth short fall?

15. russell_314 macrumors 6502

russell_314

I just bought a Bluetooth Logitech Pro mouse because I wanted a cheap mouse from Walmart that works on Bluetooth so I don't have to use a USB-A port. It can also work with a wireless USB-A plug but I don't want to use that so it's still inside the mouse. I don't like the feel of the mouse in my hand (Personal preference) but there is no issues with Bluetooth. It works fine on my desk and I tested it about 15 feet away and still working. I don't have another person here with me at the moment so that was as far as I could be in my house and still see the cursor move.