Wired Magazine - Rip Off App

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by PhoneyBoy, Jun 30, 2010.

1. PhoneyBoy macrumors member

Don't get the new Wired Magazine App.

If you down download the new FREE App and you have previously bought the June edition, it will delete the June edition and you are left with just the new empty App.

Once you open the App you are then allowed to purchase the June edition again, yes you have to but it again, they don't let you download it for free.

Talk about a rip off, taking the P15S or what?

2. iFerd macrumors 6502a

You can get the issue you already purchased for free from within the application, at least according to what I read about it.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Totally false. The previous issue is available to download for free.

4. PhoneyBoy thread starter macrumors member

That is the idea, unfortunately it does not work.
    The only option for the June issue is to buy, when it should be download.
    I'm not the only person with this issue, the reviews in the App Store for the new version are stacking up with loads of complaints and 1 star ratings.

No it is not.

It is supposed to be but for me and many others it is not.
    The button says 'Buy' not 'Download'.
    It takes you right through the buying process.

Fine if it should work, but it is not doing.

5. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I updated the App and could download the previous issues again for free.

Re-read and I think you will find it's not making you purchase again.

6. PhoneyBoy thread starter macrumors member

So when I click 'Buy' for the June edition and it asks me for my iTunes account password and then says "Confirm your in App Purchase - Do you want to buy one WIRED June 2010 for £2.39?" it is not going to charge me?

Is that what yours did?

7. pooryou macrumors 65816

That is incorrect. If you are having a problem contact Apple CS.

Worked fine for me.

8. PhoneyBoy thread starter macrumors member

The WIRED instructions clearly say that it should say 'Download' for the JUne edition if you have bought it before, mine does not it says 'Buy'.

I am using the same iTunes account on the same computer and iPad.

Here are the instructions from the WIRED web site :

1) Start by going to your app “Updates” from within your device.
    Note: If you go to the WIRED Magazine app page in the App Store, the app will be listed as “Installed.”

The only way for you to get the upgrade is through your “Updates.”

2) Install the WIRED Update

3) Launch the new WIRED Magazine reader app (We’ve changed the icon from orange to purple)

4) You should now be able to swipe left to right between three options:
    a) A free preview of content (Tap the Download button to view)
    b) The June issue (Tap the Download button to re-install the June issue)
    c) The July issue (Tap the Buy button to purchase)

NOTICE THE - "Tap the Download button to view", well mine says 'Buy'

Please read the rest of the thread. It is not working.

I have contacted both WIRED and Apple, guess what, they blame each other!

9. pooryou macrumors 65816

Please read what I said. It is working.

10. PhoneyBoy thread starter macrumors member

It may be working for you, BUT IT IS NOT WORKING FOR ME.

Telling me it works for you does not solve or help my issue.

If you bother to look at the reviews on the App Store you will see that there are more and more bad reviews appearing by the minute with people having the same issue.

You may be lucky, but don't tell me that it is working when clearly it is not working for everyone.

11. Rouser macrumors member

I downloaded the latest Wired app, and have no problem re-downloading the June issue.

Sorry you are having trouble.

12. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Here is one thing to look at. Do you still have the original Wired App in iTunes on the computer? I still had the App on the computer and on the iPad.

I'm not sure that helps but was a question I had just in case. If you don't have the App on the computer in iTunes I wonder if re-downloading it may help?

13. PhoneyBoy thread starter macrumors member

I did have the original WIRED app on the computer, but it was deleted when the new version was downloaded. The new version then got synced to the iPad.

On opening the new version of the App on the iPad all I can do is purchase June and July. My previous June purchase is not available to download for free.

Not sure how else I was supposed to update the App, it is the normal App update process.

14. pooryou macrumors 65816

I didn't say it was working for everyone, but most of your posts imply that it is not working for anyone. Not true.

15. PhoneyBoy thread starter macrumors member

To the best of my knowledge when I posted it looked like it was not working for everyone. As there are many complaints about the issue on the App Store, that was a fair assumption.

16. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Click BUY anyway. It WON'T charge you. That's the idea of the in-app purchase. Your iTunes account is connected to all your purchases and when you click BUY, it will recognize your account as having bought this already. Same for every other app you already purchased with your account. Unless you bought WIRED with another account, you won't be charged.

17. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

As far as I'm aware this is the case for every app with in-app purchase. It says 'buy' but once you click 'buy' it'll tell you you can download it for free because you've already purchased. At least that's how it worked in Tap Tap Radiation for me.

18. cakbar macrumors regular

This is not always the case. I had a download that didn't complete with PressReader. I tried downloading again and went through the process of agreeing to buy. I was charged twice for the same thing. I would always be wary of hitting the BUY button now to download something that I had already bought.

Also, I don't want to start another thread, but does anybody know how to delete a downloaded Wired mag from the app. I downloaded the Preview, which I'd like to now get off my iPad, but for the life of me I can't find a way to delete it.

19. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Good question, it's going to be important as the file sized seem to be rather large. I forgot to even look at that one. I don't have my iPad at the moment so I can't look at how to do that. .

20. lxxvii macrumors newbie

I was charged twice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have clicked the report a problem link but I end up going in circles.

What should I do now? Contact Apple or Wired?

21. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

This ia appalling. Wired and Apple have both ignored me also. Contact your bank and make them suffer a chargeback fee perhaps?

22. rincewindtw macrumors newbie

chargeback fees would only end up with Apple.

from a developer's perspective: there is no way of knowing whether a specific user has bought an App (as long as you don't use in-app payments). So for all users who re-downloaded the WIRED App after it did not contain the first issue's content anymore, the App cannot detect that the user has bought the content and re-charges it.

Normally developers get bashed for such practices, they could have thought about that earlier. The more detailed reason seems to be that a WIRED issue needs 500 MB of disk space and the new Apple App size limit is 200 MB (I think, that's why they switched to in-app payments).

23. ynnoj macrumors member

ynnoj

My June issue disappeared after the app was updated and I restored my iPad following the release of 3.2.1. I contacted Wired support and they assured me that I should be able to re-download the June issue as no additional cost. If I have any issues, I need to provide them with the iTunes receipts (which I can), and they'll issue a refund.

When I did 'buy' it again, I was warned of the cost. Just a case of waiting to see if they charge me now.

24. pooryou macrumors 65816

I don't see how it's even possible for Apple's system to allow you to be charged twice for the same thing. I don't think there is any situation where you should legitimately be able to pay for the same item twice, unless I'm missing something. It's fundamental to the App Store. (Assuming you are going thru either the App Store or in-app purchase of course).

25. ynnoj macrumors member

ynnoj

Turns out I was charged a second time for £2.39. Guess I'll be getting back in touch with Wired then.

I'll post back once (if) the matter is resolved.