Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
You are.

And sorry for derailing this thread. My sincerest apologies. Done here. Back to business.

Lol. I suppose it's also pride to state other facts, such as that a core i7 rmbp with 16gb ram is faster than a core i5 with 4gb ram? Or that a mustang is faster than an f150 pickup truck?

Impeccable reasoning, friend. Impeccable :)

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
USB 2

I see Time Machine Backup via Airport as a failure. Backing up is an intensive task and can be felt. To get it done as fast as possible use the fastest storage with the fastest port directly on the Mac.

Why do you need a fast storage for Time Machine backup? If you don't want to wait, do the initial backup using ethernet, and forget about the rest. People should understand that Time Capsule is not a NAS solution. It's specifically designed to take care of wireless Time Machine backups of several Macs of a household. It needs to work without hassles and be reliable. Since it's a backup device without RAID, they chose reliability over speed. There is no other NAS solution in the market that you can trust for multi-device Time Machine backups including Synology (you can never be sure your TM backup works until you need it).

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
A agree, it does what it's supposed to do. Time Machine backups are incremental and I am not even aware of when they happen, so extra speed wouldn't be much benefit. The initial backup takes awhile, but that is no big deal. And a full restore could take awhile, but I would be so glad that I had a good backup, that wouldn't bother me much either.

As a router, I am very happy with its 802.11ac wifi performance on the LAN. It is really just an Airport Extreme that includes a hard drive for about $100 more. That is not very different from buying your own 2TB hard drive, so I don't have any real complaints.

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
Why do you need a fast storage for Time Machine backup?

Why don't you need one? I guess it doesn't matter when all one changes is a few documents. But when it comes to backing up gigabytes (and let's not forget TM does this EVERY HOUR) then i am very happy when the speed is not less than 100MB/s.

While backing up data via wifi it reduces the quality of wifi. (i make full use of all ethernet ports on my AE but let's not get into this...)

Apple failed to add USB 3 ports on the last AE. Hopefully in next revision and i predict people will all of a sudden appreciate a swift backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.