Wireless/Airport issue-Update New issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Primejimbo, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I did a search and didn't find what I want.

So last month I kept on getting kicked off of my network. My router is about 15 feet away and my wifes Macbook is 100% fine. I would turn off the Airport and turn it on and nothing. Restarted my Mac and nothing, and just gave up. So I made an appointment at the Apple Store and guess what, it worked 100%. So I came home that day and no problems till now, a month later. I am having the same issues and not sure what to do. I have low signal, and again I am only 15-20 feet away.
    I am saving up for a Time Machine so I can start backing up my mac, so this way I can take it to Apple and if they need to repair it, I'll have my stuff backed up. I am temped to just buy a hard drive just to get this thing fixed.
    Any Ideas? I shut off my Macbook yesterday in the morning and started it up when I got home and it was fine for a while.
    I have an airport extreme for a router if that info helps.

Thanks!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try changing the base station's channel. You might have interference from a neighbor's network.

Also, if you have any 2.4GHz phones in the house, they can easily degrade your wifi. Changing channels can sometimes help, but the best way to fix the problem is to replace them with a 5.8GHz set.

3. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks, I will try that. I don't have any 2.4GHz phones (or any home phone).

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

2.4ghz cordless phones have a pretty good range, even a neighbor's could potentially provide for some interference.

5. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

Anyway I can mess up their signal? :D

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Usually not. The phones usually try to find a clean channel automatically, but can still mess with WiFi.

7. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

Ok now I got this:
    Is anything to worry about?

Attached Files:

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I don't think so. I've seen that happen when deleting locations and/or network devices (at least, that's what seemed to cause it). You can just change it back to what you like per the message's suggestion.

9. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

Good, I did change it back. I am going to do what others said and see if I an get this thing working. I just got AppleCare for this also, so at least I have 2 more years to get this working.

10. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

So I looked and the base station is set up automatically, how can I manually change it?

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Open "AirPort Utility", then select your base station from the list on the left. Click on "Manual Setup". You should now have a Summary tab open - it'll show the current channel. Click on the "Wireless" tab and select the desired channel using the "Channel" pop-up menu.

Hope that helps.

12. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

I finally got time to do this and I did this and nothing. So I restarted my Mac and so far so good, but I'm not keeping my hopes up because it would work for a while after I restarted my Mac.
    I just hope this did it.

13. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

well it's been 2 days and still no problems. Thanks again!!!!

14. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No prob. Glad to hear that seemed to help.