Wireless charger that works with your OWN case!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thenewone, Nov 23, 2013.

1. thenewone, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

thenewone macrumors member

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I've picked up various accessories for my iDevices over the years through recommendations on this forum and so when I finally found something worth sharing myself, I thought I'd do so :)

I think this is really cool...its called iQi and its a way to add wireless charging to any iDevice with a lighting connector (something Apple really should have just integrated themselves by now), and it lets you use YOUR OWN CASE and any Qi standard charging station! Originally they said it would only work with "soft" cases, but I found out it will also work with LifeProof cases too (I have the Nuud for iPhone 5)...so I jumped on it as an early Christmas present to myself :D UPDATE: The official preorder campaign is over, but it should be hitting retail in early 2014.

Let me know what you guys think! Link to iQi

Attached Files:

• iQi.jpg
      iQi.jpg
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

That's pretty slick. I use Elements Ronin and Sector 5 cases, so I don't think it'll work for me.

3. DocGo macrumors member

Interesting product. Have been looking for something like this since I also use a LifeProof case...I didn't see information on their website specifically on its compatibility with a LP case...I hope it is because that would cut down on the wear and tear from daily opening of the charging port cover of the case.

4. thenewone thread starter macrumors member

@DocGo

The case either needs to have a little "give"/flexibility in it, or have enough clearance on the back piece between it and the phone. If you notice, LifeProof cases are raised a bit from the actual surface of the iPhone's back, and I was assured that it is more than enough clearance to accommodate the iQi :D

I am really excited to use this with my LifeProof...I too was worried about wear and tear by constantly opening the charge port door (I plug my phone in multiple times a day) and this will completely solve that...I also wirelessly sync to itunes so I will virtually never need to plug my phone in ever again! :)

5. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

6. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I like the idea but having to charge in the car or at home/office will be a pain unless you have koolpucks everywhere.

7. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

The only thing that concerns me is the part that rests on the back of the phone will move around and scratch the device.

8. thenewone, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

thenewone thread starter macrumors member

@ItBeMe22 Definitely :)

@imaginex20 True...I ordered the home/office package so I can leave one charging pad at home and the other in the car so it goes wherever I go

@Ta0jin Not too worried about scratches...the material looks hardly threatening...almost like an electrical tape type of material. EDIT: I suppose the problem could even be solved by taping it down with a little electrical tape first lol

9. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

This looks tremendous. Thanks for the link. I hope they make their late December shipping date.

10. thenewone thread starter macrumors member

@Mactagonist I am hopeful as well. The company that is doing the campaign (Fonesalesman) already has similar products for android devices that have been out for months now (on Amazon). And they did mention that this campaign is more of a "pre-order" than a "kick starter," as they already have a base of operations and production lines set up. I'm hoping this translates into quick deliveries shortly after the campaign is done (which is just a little over 3 days from now!) :D

I decided to get one for my girlfriend...she's definitely not a techno geek like me but I'm pretty sure even SHE will think its cool and useful :p

11. Kisey macrumors 6502a

Neat idea, but having to remove the case and iQi where a Koolpuck is not available will be a pain (ie: the car, airport, friend's home, office, etc).

12. thenewone thread starter macrumors member

@Kisey Wireless tech is really starting to take off...Starbucks has started building wireless charging pads directly into their tables (link) ...I'm sure other places will follow suit soon enough. For the time being I plan on just keeping one pad in my car so I have one with me wherever I might need it :)

13. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Seems cool, im assuming that you can't actually connect a lighting wire to it at the same time tho.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I never understood the point of these. You place it on something to charge, you pick it up to read a text or something and it stops charging. Then put it back on the charger to charge some more then another text, email, or whatever comes and you pick it up... Again it stop charging.

With a cord it still chargers when you pick it up to do these things. Or am I missing something? What's the point of wireless charging if it has to sit in that same place to charge?

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The point is every time you sit it down it'll be charging.

This is the first stage in what could be a bigger picture if the tech takes off.

16. Primejimbo, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I do that now, I plug it in and it keeps charging as I use it too. I don't have charge, stop charging, charge, stop charging... It's on continuous charge. The base part is still plugged into something, so you still have to carry it around also. Sorry, I really don't see any point in this at all. Maybe in the future where it's truly wireless (nothing to plug in), but until then, it's still wired to something.

17. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Well, i don't want to be a jerk but then I guess it isn't for you.

Personally, I loved wireless charging in my old Palm Pre. I hate having to fiddle with a little cable to charge up. (Though granted the reversible Lightening cable is easier then most) Wireless charging just feels like the future to me still, I am well willing to pay a little money and put up with a bit less effective charging to use it.

18. wxman2003 Suspended

Pretty nice, but not for me. Would require me to use a case. :rolleyes:

19. thenewone thread starter macrumors member

@Primejimbo Actually you might be interested to know that Li-ion batteries are better suited to charge while NOT being simultaneously used, and it is also safer for the user. The overall health of the battery (capacity and life expectancy) has the potential to last much longer (even beyond the traditional "80% capacity after 500 charge cycles"). For this reason, wireless charging would be doing you and your battery a favor when you need to pick up your phone to "use" it between chargings. Just sayin.

20. thenewone thread starter macrumors member

I got an email update that they are just about ready to begin preorder fulfillments (for the earliest contributors)...I'm so excited!! :D

21. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Only downside of wireless charging is the slower charge rate.

22. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

Someone said it was as fast or faster. What do you have to backup that statement, or is that just hear say. :confused:

23. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Wireless charging that works with your OWN case!

Wireless charging has been out for a long ass time look at android phones. Search qi wirless amp output vs wired.

24. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Yeah. Based on all currently or past wireless charging systems it will charge slower then wired. But not that much slower.

25. thenewone thread starter macrumors member

Mine came in the mail today!

First impressions:

It was a VERY tight fit getting the iQi in the lighting connector port...but once it was in everything works great! I have it installed on my iPhone 5 with a LifeProof Nuud case and I LOVE IT!!! :D

It charges a little slower compared to using a wall charger, but it's actually faster than charging over standard USB (like when connected to a computer).

Attached Files: