Wireless Chargers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pndrgnsvc, Nov 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pndrgnsvc, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

The manufacturers of such all show the device without a case. One manufacturer (seen on Amazon) even stated the phone must not be in the case while charging. Is that typical/common?

If I must remove the case, that would greatly diminish the benefit of wireless charging.

My iPhone X is excepted in 10 days and I’ll be using an OtterBox Defender case.

And thus to my questions:
    • Are there any wireless chargers that will work with this configuration?
    • Are there certain specs I should look for?

2. mfram macrumors 65816

I’m using a wireless charger on my iPhone 8 with the Apple Leather case on it. Works for me. A bulky case might cause more problems perhaps. Dunno. The case almost certainly can’t contain any metal for the charging to work.

3. Pndrgnsvc thread starter macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

Thanks for the reply, mfram; 'tis good to know.

FYI: I contacted OtterBox and they say they tested their cases with all of Apple's recommended cases and all the cases passes testing. Of course, what I don't know is the test criteria. So while the charger still "works" it does so at a reduced rate...

I hope others chime in and post their real-life experience. Recommendations re charger brand/manufacturer would be most welcome.

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

You might get more responses or see more information in the "iPhone Accessories" forum. There are quite a few threads discussing cases for the iPhone X and threads about wireless chargers. My impression from what I have read (no personal experience) is that the wireless charging will work with the OtterBox.

5. Pndrgnsvc thread starter macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

Good idea, I'll do that!