Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
  1. How many watts does the iPhone X support for wireless charging?
  2. What is the max Qi charging device currrently available?
  3. If point 2 is more than 1, could the iphone be fixed by a software update?
  4. Compared to wired charging how fast is wireless?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Hmm... Your questions can be either answered, or deduced with a quick search for the Qi wireless standards and other info available about the charging system used.
So, my attempt:
1. Probably supports the Qi standard for low power charging, which would be a max of 5 watts.
2. Qi charging devices support low power (up to 5 watts, typical for mobile devices), medium power (up to 120 watts, for displays or laptops), or high power, supplying up to 1 kW, allowing the powering of kitchen utensils, for example.
3. I will again guess that the support for wireless charging systems can be modified by firmware updates. Notice that your question about point 2 being more than point 1 is a given, as the wireless standards provide for devices that can use a LOT more power than a smart phone :D
4. The wireless power consortium has a presentation online showing that wireless charging can be just as efficient as wired charging. With that in mind - assuming that the wired and wireless options offer the same current, then you might expect that wired charging will be just as fast as wireless charging.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Thanks. I have searched and don't see the answers anywhere. Thus my question.

Not really any clearer with your reply.

Thanks anyway though.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I guess you want specific answers that won't be available until the iP-X is out, and in use by the public.

The techy questions about how much power is available on a Qi charger is part of the wireless charging standards.
So, I made my responses a little clearer - hope it is more understandable now.

1: You can expect that Apple will follow the industry standard for wireless low power device charging.
2: Industry standard: Low power devices will have a maximum charging current of 5w.
3: If different kinds of charging support is needed, and a firmware update will fix, then of course you can expect that Apple would offer that support, either with a system software update, or a firmware update of some kind.
4: Assuming that both wired and wireless have the same current available, then you can expect that both would have similar charging rates. The industry claims that the efficiency of both are comparable.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
We have to wait for the Software Update for Mophie Charging Pad and wait for the Appel Charging Pad.

Apple did here a very confusing job. Appe should inform us what the coming updates next year exactly does.

robertopod1968

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2013
I guess you want specific answers that won't be available until the iP-X is out, and in use by the public.

The techy questions about how much power is available on a Qi charger is part of the wireless charging standards.
So, I made my responses a little clearer - hope it is more understandable now.

1: You can expect that Apple will follow the industry standard for wireless low power device charging.
2: Industry standard: Low power devices will have a maximum charging current of 5w.
3: If different kinds of charging support is needed, and a firmware update will fix, then of course you can expect that Apple would offer that support, either with a system software update, or a firmware update of some kind.
4: Assuming that both wired and wireless have the same current available, then you can expect that both would have similar charging rates. The industry claims that the efficiency of both are comparable.
You can expect to wait for one year at the minimum for Apple to catch up to the real world. But you will have instantaneous updates that don't do anything.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
If the charging components in the iphone are 5W a software update won't change that to 10W.

The tech specs on the Apple site do not confirm the wattage either way as far as I can see.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Since I plan on only using wireless on the bedside table, for overnight charging, it won't bother me.

But since I don't plan on going wireless any time soon, & by the time I do, faster wireless charging may be available, it definitely won't bother me. :D

The number of times I get into bed with 5-10% battery remaining and then browse for 30+ minutes. That's the one time I need a cable!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Since I plan on only using wireless on the bedside table, for overnight charging, it won't bother me.

But since I don't plan on going wireless any time soon, & by the time I do, faster wireless charging may be available, it definitely won't bother me. :D

Charging speed has never made any difference to me on my iPhones or iPads as I, like you, charge a night while sleeping.

Problem is there are some here who do not sleep.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Some just use it alot more and don't get through a day without charging in between. And i can see why they would want a faster charger then.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
The number of times I get into bed with 5-10% battery remaining and then browse for 30+ minutes. That's the one time I need a cable!
You can have both you know... :eek:
[doublepost=1505563339][/doublepost]
As predicted, slow charging with wireless is going to irritate so many.
Predicted by who exactly?

And who are these "many" that have been asked?

Also, how many is many?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Would this car charger be too much or too little power to power a small wireless charging pad in my car?

I'm also planning to use it to power my Echo Dot.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
1. 7 watts
2. 15 watts
3. could what be fixed via a software update - the phone or the charger?
4. current iterations of wireless / induction charging is not very fast. if default charging mat delivers 7 watts at best will perform like the default wall charger (5v @ 1.2A). iPad charger will beat that any day (5v @ 2.1A). in theory a 15 watt charging mat (maybe 5v @ 3A?) can best an iPad charger but only if you charge one phone

1. How many watts does the iPhone X support for wireless charging?
  2. What is the max Qi charging device currrently available?
  3. If point 2 is more than 1, could it be fixed by a software update?
  4. Compared to wired charging how fast is wireless?

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
1. 7 watts
2. 15 watts
3. could what be fixed via a software update - the phone or the charger?
4. current iterations of wireless / induction charging is not very fast. if default charging mat delivers 7 watts at best will perform like the default wall charger (5v @ 1.2A). iPad charger will beat that any day (5v @ 2.1A). in theory a 15 watt charging mat (maybe 5v @ 3A?) can best an iPad charger but only if you charge one phone

Thank you - point 3, the iPhone.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
my best guess is the phone is already 15W capable. Qi 1.2 standard that spec out 15W charging was released Feb 2017. if what Apple said during the keynote about working with Qi is correct, i would assume it is to understand how to implement Qi 1.2

Thank you - point 3, the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.