iPhone X Wireless Charging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dman67, Feb 15, 2018.

1. dman67 macrumors newbie

Guys, what's a decent wireless charger that will charge the X without having to remove my Otterbox case, that is reasonably priced to not break the bank.

Thanks

2. bradbomb macrumors 6502

bradbomb

3. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Yes OtterBox does work with wireless charging. Had one. And I’ve had my X for almost 3 months. It has never had a lightning cable plugged into it. I use my Samsung wireless fast charger from my old s8, works good. I’m sure there is other cheaper chargers out there tho.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I know people who have an Otterbox and use their wireless charger from Apple. Not the cheapest but I know it will work.

5. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Also remember they match prices at bestbuy with amazon. So you can buy one for less then half price sometimes. Mine was over $60-70 I ended up paying $32 for it.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2018 ---
    So does Samsung’s version. And it is decently cheap if match prices...

6. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

I have a samsung fast charger that is blue and lights up. Works great. I have an otterbox commuter on my iphone X. Never have a problem

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I researched some of the available wireless chargers on Amazon and some customers are having inconsistent results with an OtterBox with the wireless charger. Some manufacturers are stating an Otterbox will not charge with their unit and other customers are saying that actually it does charge with the wireless charger. So it appears it’s variable depending on which OtterBox case you might have or wireless charge you use.

8. dman67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. My case is a Symmetry.

9. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

Maybe it depends on which case. The commuter is fairly slim and works great. I bought a finger loop that attaches to the back and it wouldn't charge with this on my phone. I had to take it off.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Try the Mophie wireless charger from Apple.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I also wonder the same thing.

12. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Go to Apple Store.

Buy Mophie Wireless Charging Base.

Try it with your case.

If it doesn't work, return it within 14 days for a full refund.

If it does work, you've purchased the best-in-class wireless charger for the iPhone.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How many watts does it provide?

14. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

It's not a matter of watts; it's a matter of how it is designed to work with iPhone's per their relationship with Apple.

Wireless charging is a hornet's nest of power supplies, charging pucks, cable tolerances, there isn't a set standard. That's why Apple only sells and recommends the Mophie and the Belkin models in the Apple Store. Not only are they high-speed but they are high-speed compatible with iPhone 8 and X, that's the most important thing.

When I first got my X I decided to try a wafer thin wireless charger from Amazon and it would only charge some of the time and then shut itself off. It's the charging circuitry that's the issue, these Qi chargers have built-in protection that shut themselves down to protect themselves and the iPhone pays the price.

Anyway, you can save a ton of wasted time and energy by understanding that if you have an 8 or an X you only should be using the wireless chargers Apple recommends and have been optimized for the iPhone.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Shouldn't any charger with Qi certification be enough to work with the iPhone?

16. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Yes, Qi chargers work with the iPhone.

But like I said, they are all very different, supplying different levels of charge, different charging speeds, and many shut down mysteriously because their internal protection circuitry senses an overload. And 90% of these Qi chargers don't come with a power supply. You need to bring your own. And you'll find with some Qi chargers that the 10W works but the 12W causes intermittent shut downs and you won't get true high speed wireless charging at all.

At this time, the advice is to only roll with one of the two Qi chargers approved by Apple and sold in their stores. I own 3 of the Mophie's and they are outstanding.

17. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

As long as the charger charges at 10w or above and one uses a higher voltage plug (even the iPad plug will do) than the one supplied with the iPhone, the quick charge will work and in the process you save a ton of money.

The quick charge on iPhone is only 7.5w.

18. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Not true. I purchased an affordable Qi charger on Amazon and set it up just like you said and it kept shutting down unexpectedly because it’s circuitry was being overloaded by the draw of the iPhone X. It never charged my X completely and I was forced to return it.

The two Qi chargers available in the Apple Store come with their own power supply and are designed to work without overloads with the 8 and X.

19. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

You must’ve just been unlucky. I’ve bought 4 non-Apple recommended chargers off amazon so far and all of them work fine. I keep 1 at my work desk, 1 on my coffee table, 1 on the bedside table and 1 in the conservatory.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Which ones? While I appreciate Apple’s efforts to stir me into their “recommended” chargers, I’d rather hear it out from others. The good the bad.

21. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Go with either Anker or Ravpower chargers. You won’t regret.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Whatever you decide to purchase for third-party chargers, just make sure it’s MFI (Made For iPhone) certified. There are a lot of third-party companies that also sell fraudulent products, avoid eBay if possible. (Unless it’s a reputable seller).

23. Iffy22 macrumors member

I bought a Choetech T511 from Amazon, works like a charm with iPhone X

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Agreed, I always avoid eBay for accessories. I buy either in an Apple Store or Amazon.

25. aarongrooveremt macrumors member

IMO samsung wireless chargers are the way to go. Just you know your getting a decent brand....