Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jembow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Hello:

I'm having trouble getting a wireless keyboard to work adequately on my 1.83mhz Mac Mini with OSX 10.5.

I have my Mac Mini in a cabinet in another room around the corner from my TV and need 3-4 meters of range. I turned off the internal Bluetooth and am using a IOGear USB 2.1 Bluetooth Micro Adapter and a ProMini Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard. It pairs up fine but looses a signal at about 2 meters.

I paired the Wireless Keyboard with my Dell WinXP laptop, placed the laptop next to the Mac Mini and have no problems with the desired range.

Any ideas for improvement? If not perhaps there is a wireless keyboard/mouse combo that can work off the wireless network similar to the Mobile Mouse App? (i would use that but my 2.0 iPhone won't recognize wireless networks).

Thanks,
-John

jembow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I tired and had the same result. I did some research and apparently using the Bluetooth dongle increases the range.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
This sounds like a stretch...literally...to get this distance. About the only thing I could suggest is to get a USB M/F extension cable and place the dongle closer to where its going to be used?

You can't have the Mini in the same room? You said you have a wireless network.

Also, try placing the Mini as high up as you can to give it potentially better range.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
In my recording studio I have been using the old (lucite) BT wireless keyboard with my mac mini. The mini is at least 20 feet away on the other side of a metal rack mount cabinet. Works fine. The BT mouse OTOH does not like being so far away.

jembow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I have rotated the mini so the dongle is facing the TV direction and was able to increase reception by a few feet...

I have a 10 ft USB extension cable ordered & hopefully getting the dongle up in the air and peeking around the corner will get me to where i need to be. Pretty much a "tin foil on rabbit ears" solution but beats having a 20 ft cord attached to the keyboard...

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Is there no way to have the mini in the same room as your keyboard and mouse?

Why does it need to be in the other room?

Serious question...with a wireless network there is no need to have your computer tied down to any one location unless you commonly use your computer in the other room and have some sort of set up that mirrors your display on your TV and want the ability to use it in either room. Heck, my internet connection is in my bedroom, so I have my Airport Extreme in there and a printer and HDD, BUT my desktop is 50 ft away in the office and all of my other Phones and laptops use the wifi signal from wherever they are.

Can you explain your set-up? You might not need to jump through all these hoops. I know it took me a bit to realize that I didn't have to have my computer tied down to my router. So maybe by "thinking different" you might not need this extreme and tenuous bluetooth connection that seems to be more problem than it's worth.

Last edited:

LeathemA

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010
Bluetooth range is not the problem. It is the location of the antenna. I had the same problem as you and decided to take action.

I have this installed in the security slot on the back of the Mini:

http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/6-ufl-m--rpsma-f--pigtail-p-15030.html
http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/3db-rpsma-9727-p-15054.html

It is a really easy mod to do and I get about 40feet from this configuration. I also upgraded the wireless to a macbook pro n card and used the bluetooth antenna as the second antenna for the wireless card.

With this i get a connection of 130Mbit/s and bluetooth at 40feet, but all i needed was 12.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.