Wireless mouse that connects through ExpressCard 34?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by palmerc2, Oct 27, 2009.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I am looking at different options for a wireless mouse for a UniMBP. I don't want to have a wireless mouse, because I would need to plug in the receiver I wanted to use it. Bluetooth I am on the fence about, there is the Razer Orochi which has good reviews, but seems like it is small so won't be comfortable & it is bluetooth, so responsiveness isn't guaranteed to be that good. As of right now, that is my #1 choice, it seems like Razer has made some landmark innovations with it.

Anyways, I was just thinking....is there such thing as a wireless mouse which the receiver connects through the express card 34 slot, instead of USB?? If so, is it flush with the machine? Will it stick out like a sore thumb?

&&& I already looked on google, maybe I didn't use the right search words?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have no problems with responsiveness over Bluetooth. I've used both Apple (mostly) and Kensington.

There's nothing in the data rates an input device [such as a mouse] needs which would require anything faster than Bluetooth. An ExpressCard/34 device would still need to operate in the same bands, therefore would have similar bandwidth limitations (assuming similar data packaging) - again, much higher than a mouse would ever need.

Bottom line - there's nothing to be gained by designing a special transceiver for a mouse, especially with BT devices becoming more and more affordable.

If you're having trouble with BT on your system, it could be caused by any number of things, including interference with other devices. There are a few tips here, regarding interference: AirPort and Bluetooth: Potential sources of interference for wireless devices and networks

3. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Thank you for the quick response, it makes sense

I don't have the UniMBP just yet, going to be ordering it online early next week. I just want to have a lot of the accessories under wraps when it arrives, thats all.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I see - well, you'll like the ubMBP. I've had mine since last Feb (the 17") - it's their best design yet. You shouldn't have any problems with BT, i.e. there's nothing about the ubMBP that would cause it. (of course, there's always the off chance).