Wireless 'N' Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eclipse525, Dec 15, 2009.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Hey guys and gals!

My Linksys WRT54 just died and I'm looking for replacement. I'm looking for a 802.11n this time around. I'd also like it to place nice with my Mac, PC and Playstation 3. Although it is Apple, some people have mentioned that the "Apple Base Station Extreme" is a real solid router due to the real dual band feature. I'm not sure about this but I am sure that it's freakin' expensive. I'd preferable like something less expensive but I am willing to pay if it's worth the money.

Can anyone recommend a solid router(model) that might fit the bill?

Thank you!!!

~e

2. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I might be wrong, but wasn't there a problem with using Airports with gaming consoles because it doesn't support uPNP port forwarding?

3. belvdr macrumors 603

The new ones appear to do that.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

I use it with my Wii without issue FWIW...and I have a PC laptop in addition to 2 Macs and an AppleTV.

Don't know about PS3 issues.

The USB port on it has allowed us to backup over the network and print 'wirelessly', which is nice. And the current wake-on-wireless feature is spectacular!

Airport Extreme, to me, is worth every additional penny based on ease of setup, reliability and solid functionaility.

5. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

What do you guys think of these routers, D-Link DGL-4500, D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme and the Linksys WRT610N? My iMac is wireless (N) and the PS3 is (G). Are these good routers or should I look at something else?

I don't know if this is an issue but I'll be streaming movies via MediaLink (nullriver soft) on my Mac to my PS3. With the Linksys WRT54, I would get disconnected frequently.

~e

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use my Time Capsule with a PS3 and have no problems.

7. GNice macrumors 6502

8. TheHumphries macrumors member

9. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

10. snookiesnoo1977 macrumors newbie

Small Net Builder gave this router an extremely poor review which you don't mention so I wonder if you read it. I have one but if I had it to do over again I would have bought this;

NETGEAR WNDR3700
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30925/96/

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...ng-new-apple-airport-extreme-briefly-reviewed

11. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Ahh yes... I was wrong. I was focused on the "throughput" instead of the overall review. Thank God, I didn't buy it yet. Seems like the "Netgear WNDR3700" is at the top of the heap.