wireless network drops after 10.5.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stvfisher, Feb 23, 2008.

1. stvfisher macrumors member

Ever since I upgraded to 10.5.2 I have constant network drops on my wireless network. What can I do to fix this? It is extremely annoying, to the point where I've been using my Windows desktop more than my MacBook.

So what things can I do to try and resolve this. To be honest it is totally unacceptable and has be on the verge of installing XP just so I can reliably surf the internet again.

Thanks in advance.

2. kolax macrumors G3

What router are you using? Try using a different wireless channel - I had drop out problems and changed the wireless channel and not had any issues since.

3. kewl macrumors newbie

Someone please explain how to change the channel on a router. I'm using an att 2wire router.

4. kolax macrumors G3

In the router configurations (might be software or just a URL you enter in the address bar) it should be listed in there.

Read the router manual.

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I have a 2Wire as well.

I JUST reformated and re-installed the OS. The upgraded to 10.5.2, and it's still messed.

My connection is fine when it's plugged in using the magsafe adapter, but as soon as i disconnect it, my connection drops. After that, it's never stable, even when plugged in.

6. jhande macrumors 6502

I read all the problems re. WiFi + 10.5.2, and thought "Oh, well, I'm OK" on my MacBook. However, after upgrading to 10.5.2 on my iBook...... damn thing drops off the network after 5 mins, and stays that way. Then I select the network, and everything is fine... for 5 mins. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It's not a channel issue. I'm running AEBS 7.2 (no, I keep it at that level, if I upgrade they whole network goes *really* wonky). I can replicate the problem on my Airport Express as well. I figure that it's an inherent problem in 10.5.2.

Sigh, this update just wasn't ready for prime time. I'll keep it on the MacBook, but I'll be downgrading the iBook to Tiger.

7. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

Strange...I have 2 Macs here (Intel Mac Mini and a new Macbook SR 2.2 GHZ) connected wireless on a D-Link DIR-625 router. I was having no drops before 10.5.2 and I still have no drops after 10.5.2. No drops after wake from sleep too as others are reporting.

8. Tronix macrumors newbie

The network drops are a common issue in 10.5.2, I reformatted and upgraded to 10.5.1 instead of 10.5.2. And now I don't get now wireless drops, you can download 10.5.1 off apples website :).

9. stvfisher thread starter macrumors member

I have LinkSys WRT54G - but I don't see how this has anything to do with my router seeing as how everything was fine when I was running 10.5.1, not to mention other devices on my network are fine.

I too am thinking of rolling back to 10.5.1, what's the recommended method to do that? I do not want to have to reformat : (

10. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I had drops before 10.5.2 and still after. Using Linksys WRT54G. Router is up to date too. Hmmmm.:rolleyes:

11. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Reset wireless devices that may cause interference?

I had this issue too, with a Mac Pro. 10.5.1 was rock solid, but with the update to 10.5.2 the wireless connection dropping continuously. Spent hours changing settings, reinstalling stuff, etc. Finally, I unplugged the cordless phone in the room with the computer. Left it off for a few minutes, then plugged it back in. Everything's been great since. It was a wild stab in the dark, because the phone had been in the room with the computer and the wireless network for over a year, no problem.

I am guessing that something went haywire with channel selection with the update. That's a non-technical guess based upon limited information, and assumes that coincidence implies causality.

Edit: AEBS, set to run in 802.11n 5 GHz only. WPA2. Phone is a Vtech 5.8 GHz spread spectrum phone, with the main base station in the room with the AEBS and the Mac Pro. FWIW.

12. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

VERY well known problem unfortunately.

My theory is it is with channel selection too.

If you alt-click the black bars you'll see some more information about the connection. The problems are linked to the "Transmit Rate" - it should read 54 (Megabits p/sec) but with drop out problems it reads "1".

Apple need to release a patch for this quick. I know they're aware of it, i've emailed them twice. I'm tempted to fire one off to Steve Jobs and see what he says!

13. desistyle macrumors regular

seems like everyone with 2wire routers is having this problem. I have 2wire and had disconnects every few mins or so with my 2wire router.

I went back to 10.5.1 and have not had a single drop out. When are we going to see a fix?

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Archive and Install.

Then download the 10.5.1 update from Apple.com :)

That's what I'm thinking of doing, but I think Apple will release an update really soon regarding this issue.

15. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular

I have a 2wire router (2600 from BT). I have 2 Powerbooks, an iPhone and a HP laptop all running off it. Also 2 imacs (wired).
    The macs are all running 10.5.2 and they are working fine. I did have a netgear 834 a while back, my computers were running Tiger back then and some of the computers couldn't get onto the network.

The 2wire has solved all my problems, and none of the Leopard upgraded have caused problems.

16. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

not just 2wire routers i'm afraid.

Everyone (well a lot) seems to have problems with all sorts of routers. Even Apples own wireless router.

17. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info! Didn't know it could do that!

18. desistyle macrumors regular

I'm using a 2wire 3800HG...can't resolve the issue on 10.5.2 so i'm stuck with 10.5.1 for now.

I know this is affecting users with other routers, but besides ripmax2000 I haven't heard of anyone using a 2wire and 10.5.2 with successful results...

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

2wire works fine for me, but as soon as I disconnect my power adapter, my wireless goes nuts. I have to restart my computer to get it back to normal WITH the power adapter plugged in.

20. kolax macrumors G3

Well, looks like my words backfired me.

My wireless dropped even though I had not experienced it since I changed channel on my Airport Extreme. Changed channel again (on channel 9 now), so hopefully it'll stay connected.

But in saying that, I never had this problem with Tiger. Never.

Get it sorted :apple:

21. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

22. stvfisher thread starter macrumors member

I don't think my issue is with interference from other wireless networks, as there are only 2 wireless networks in my area and they are on different channels.... and everything worked fine before 10.5.2 update

23. kolax macrumors G3

Still happening.

Getting quite pissed off now.

24. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

changing channels worked for me - it seems it has for a few others too.

looks to be the best solution i've found yet. Dial into the router (192.168.0.1 usually) and change the channel.

25. ravikc Guest

hey guys...macpro 10.5.2 ..with airport extreme

same probs

running wireless n @ 5ghz only..anyone know how to change the channel? its stuck on automatic and wont give me the option to change it

pretty frustrating..continues to drop randomly