Wireless Over-Ear headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mickeydean, Sep 17, 2016.

1. mickeydean macrumors 6502

For iPhone users - can anyone compare the real-world usage of some if not all of these:

Bose QC35
    Sony MDR-1000X
    Sennheiser Momentum 2 NC Wireless Over-ear
    Sennheiser PXC-550 Wireless
    B&W P7 Wireless

Any other wireless over-ears (NC optional)?

Comfort, sound quality, build quality, wireless connection, battery life, interoperability with multiple devices, etc.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the B&W p5s are great very nicely made the price of the p7's have dropped in the last couple of years.

3. ogs123 macrumors member

The Sennheiser Momentum 2 NC Wireless Over-ear sound great but they hurt my ears after a couple of hours or so.

4. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

I have the Bose QC35.

Comfort: 10. They're very light, don't compress my head, and have great padding.

Sound Quality: I'm not going to give a number here, it's just too subjective. The QC35 are actually very balanced. Bass lovers might find them anemic. I've grown to love them, and Bluetooth is now as good as wired as far as I'm concerned.

Build Quality: 8. They're solid, but plasticy.

Wireless: 10. No issues whatsoever with my iPhone 6s+. Connects every time, never cuts out.

Battery Life: Stellar. I feel like I'm only charging them once a week.

5. simplified587 macrumors member

I'm also interested to know this. What to upgrade from Sony MDR-10RBT that I am using at work daily. Great can, very comfortable and not too expensive but there is some background hissing sound when the phone is connected but no audio is played.

Also if anyone can comment on these:
    - Bang & Olufsen BEOPLAY H7
    - Master & Dynamic MW60

6. Antoni Nygaard macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

I got the P7 Wireless last Monday.

The build quality is nice, they feel solid.

The sound is awesome, I upgraded from the first P5.

So far the battery have been great only charged them once when I got them and there is around 50% battery left.

7. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I've only had experience with the Bose QC35 and the Sony MDRXB950BT (I know it's not the 1000X, but it's the closest I've used).

Spent about a week with both, and the Bose is the clear winner, although it is not a perfect headset.

Comfort: Bose wins, slightly. Both get really hot (your ears get so hot that you will have to take them off every now and then to take a break and cool down). Other than that, I feel like the Sony pinched a little more out of the box, but after both broke in, they were similar. With the Bose, you could sleep on your side relatively comfortably, whereas you could not with the sony.

Sound quality: Bose wins. The Sony was just all BASS, even with the XB turned off. Everything was channeled to the low end, and sounded boomy. Mids were almost missing at times, and it was hard to hear conversations for TV. Movies however, had a very Dolby THX sound where everything was just over-the-top movie theater, like when they do that THX demo before the movie starts. So if you want movie sound all the time, the Sonys are great. Bose was a great all-around, with good mids that allowed everything to be heard clearly, although nothing was exceptional. Never was blown away by any of the sound, except for the noise cancelling which I'll address next:

Noise Cancelling: BOSE BOSE BOSE. These things are amazing. I was at Frys next to the TV section where they blast movies over their speakers, and once I put the QC35 on, I could not hear a thing. To clarify, you can't hear anything with music playing. Without music, but with NC on, you can hear an attenuated signal which is all shifted to the mids and highs. the low end is cancelled out. So a fan whirl will sound muffled and higher pitched than normal. With the headphones on, and NC off (headphones on the head, but the unit is turned off so no NC), it's just muffled noise with low end.

Build Quality: Sony wins here. Felt more solid, metal was beautiful, and everything felt like a quality build. Bose felt delicate, although it had better ergonomics. Bose shaped the ear pieces like real ears; Sony just made round ear pieces. Bose had a canted interior chamber; Sony did not. Bose clearly spent more time on ergonomics and the human form.

Wireless Connection: Both were the same in terms of reliability in connecting, range, and stability. And both were equally bad switching between two devices (say if you connected to both your iphone and your TV). There was no smart switching between signals, and there was even no easy way to switch between sources in a dumb way (selecting manually). Often times I would want to hear my TV, and I was connected to my iphone and vice versa.

Battery life: TIE. BOTH ARE EXCELLENT. You get around 4-5 days on moderate to heavy use. Probably a week or more on light use. I was amazed.

In the end, if money were not an issue, I would go Bose hands down, but only if I wasn't expecting some studio quality sound. But to save money, I would go XB950 at a $100 or under price point. At $350+, I could not justify the Bose either despite the NC.

I have a $6 pair of QY8 from Amazon on Amazon Prime Day, and to be honest, they are pretty comparable to the Bose. I won't say they are better, but in some cases, they were pretty much equal, with better lows. For the price, they blow the bose out of the water, with the only downside being battery life (4-5 hours at best, charge every night).

8. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

The active noise canceling is as good as the QC35? That's hard to believe, from a $20 pair of earphones.

9. NovemberWhiskey, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

There is no noise canceling at all from the QY8 besides the passive muffling from the buds being in your ear canal.

And that gets you about 70% there when you have music playing.

So no. That statement was just about sound quality. And yes. The QY8 are absolutely freaking amazing for the price. If anything, it's the perfect compromise between the Xb950 and the qc35. Better bass than the qc35, and way better mids and highs than the Sony.

Again, only downside is battery life (hours vs. days) and build quality (cheap). But for the price, it's probably the best headset you can buy. Reliability? Who knows. I'm not counting on a lifetime purchase. But at $10 or less, I really don't care.

I also compared to the jaybird x2. The QY8 had better sound than the x2, but worse battery life and build quality. But again, for the price, I returned the x2

Now, you have to watch out. A lot of companies use the QY8 name and looks, and I've gotten a pair from kedsum and a pair from aukey which were HORRIBLE.

The good ones I got were from tekvilla. And I am beyond impressed for the price.

10. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Then they're being deliberately deceptive on Amazon. Here's the product title from the Amazon website:

"Matone [Upgrade Version Qy7] QY8 V4.1 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones Noise Cancelling Headphones with Microphone,[Sweatproof, Mini Lightweight, Heavy Bass Metal] Best in-Ear Stereo Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Headset Earphones"

Not to mention that comparing earphones to headphones is apples to oranges. I find earphones really uncomfortable and inconvenient, so for me they wouldn't even be in the running regardless of sound quality. I had a pair of etymotic hf5, and to get good noise reduction you really had to push them in uncomfortably deep. With the QC35 it's just all comfort, and the noise reduction is way better than any earphones I've tried.

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Good for you bro. You do you.

12. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

I recommend taking a look at the Bang & Olufsen H7s if you're around that price range.

Most comfortable headset you will every have on your ears and they sound fantastic.

They don't have noise canceling though, but the "on-ear" H8s have that feature.

13. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Agreed, and yes, they're great, build quality far eclipses that of the QC35s, but the noise cancelation is subpar. Also, they're expensive.

14. mickeydean thread starter macrumors 6502

Can get the bose QC35 for $399 (AUD) or USD$300

15. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Where do you get it for 300?

16. mickeydean thread starter macrumors 6502

Myer, department store in Australia. Sound quality is not great with the Bose. Recommend strongly against it. Wireless range is pretty poor. Noise canceling is good but I don't travel enough to justify it.

17. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Compared to what? How do we know what your tastes in headphones sound are like?

18. bluermlou macrumors member

can anyone here attest to experience with any of these headphones with regards to walking around with them with your phone in your pocket? my normal case scenario would be using one of these as i walk around the city, but if the bluetooth signal keeps dropping if i have a phone in the pocket i may just stick to lightning headphones....

19. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

I've never had a dropout with my phone in my back pocket, 6s+ and QC35.

20. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I'm contemplating upgrading my V-MODA M100 for their Crossfade Wireless model instead.

Really wish the W1 chip wasn't just for apple and beats.

21. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

I did have the wired ones before but had to sell them due to not being comfortable to me. I even tried their XL ear pads but still bothered me. Loved those things. I now have the XS and hope they come out with wireless for that model.

22. Fundillo macrumors newbie

I love my Momentum 2 cans. Ive had them side by side with the Bose QC35s and I would say the Bose set has better noise cancelling but the Momentums just sound better in my opinion. Both are equally as comfy to my ears too.

23. mickeydean thread starter macrumors 6502

Trying these next, quite pricy though

24. Fundillo macrumors newbie

Definitely, I got lucky and found a blemished open box set for $230

I know Amazon has a couple open box sets and keep an eye on eBay

25. mickeydean thread starter macrumors 6502

In Australia so probably paying the Australia tax. Retails for $699 I think and so probably can't find it for less than $600. We don't have a local Amazon.

We don't have a source of cheap labour and a small market, amongst other reasons, so retail prices are crazy here.

The Sony MDR-1000X look good and read some European countries already started selling them. I was hoping for some user reviews, especially those that could compare with the Bose, Sennheisers, and etc.