Wireless printing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pepsicles, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Pepsicles macrumors newbie

Apologies if this has already been asked on the forum (guessing it must have been somewhere!), but I'm a bit stuck and can't find the answer I need! I have a Kodak ESP5210 wireless printer and was wondering whether I can print off my ipad to this and also my iphone4? I also have an imac, which works fine with the printer, but I can't work out how to print from the ipad/iphone if this is even possible?

If I click on print, on a doc on the ipad for example, it looks for a printer, but doesn't find it. If anyone could tell me -
    1. firstly whether this printer will work with these devices, and if so,
    2. what do I need to do to set it up?

Obviously, I'm sure you've guessed I'm not very technical, so step by step if at all poss please!!

Thank you! :)

2. theruddyswin macrumors newbie

There are only about 11 HP printers that work with Airprint in iOS 4.2. There are rumors that other brands will be added at some point but who knows. I have an Epson Artisan 710 and a Macbook. I used this Airprint Activator to basically share my printer out to my iPhone. It usually works when my Macbook is asleep as well but not when it's completely off.

I wish Apple would find a way to add more printers as I'm not keen on HP printers. Hope this helps.

3. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

If you have a Mac, this is very, very simple. Costs $9.95 but works a treat.
    http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/

There are ways do it for free, and ways to do it on Windows but if you are not technically minded they may not be for you.

4. Pepsicles thread starter macrumors newbie

Wireless printing

Thanks for the replies, that's really helpful thank you!

5. nosser macrumors regular

I use printopia with an airport express and it works great! Also gives the option to send files to dropbox or my iMac.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

I dont' agree. Poster #2 suggested AirPrint hacktivator which works well. No need to waste money.

7. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

I just use printopia. Yeah had to pay 10 bucks, but it works great. Only annoyance of printopia is that I have to have my iMac on in order to print from the ipad or iphone. If it's sleeping or off, it won't work.

Hopefully apple adds a feature sooner or later that will allow all printers to have the airprint feature, not just certain Hp models.

8. Mdifilm macrumors regular

I use printer pro to print to my windows PC. Works well.

9. LAnMarc macrumors member

LAnMarc

I use a free app called Cortado Workplace to print to a Samsung laser attached to a Time Capsule via USB.
    Doesn't always print properly but that is probably the printer or Time Capsule and not he app.
    Cortado claim to host 6,000 printer drivers, so yours may be one of them.
    Can't hurt to try the app!

10. Pinger macrumors regular

It does suck that only a few HP printers are able to take advantage of iPad AirPrint (lost faith in HP printers after 20 years of being a HP only user) but I have found with my new Epson wifi printer I can use it with a free program called APWInstaller, some have had perfect success with it where myself and a few others have been trying to figure out a Windows bug with it where if we reboot our computer the iPad losses connection unless I reinstall APWInstaller again, AirPrint is running in services but something is just not reloading upon reboot..
    If your running windows give APWInstaller a search and you will find it, doesn't hurt to try, you may be one of the lucky ones and it works flawlessly for you..

11. Belladesouja macrumors newbie

For wireless printing we are using one the method from these. 1) By using Wi Fi connection 2) Or by using Internet for that we have to use wireless set up wizard. And a best wireless printer is of HP and these are printer which support wireless connection 1) HP photo smart plus. 2) HP office jet pro 8500 3) HP photosmarter eStation these all are all in one printer.

12. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Sweet I've never heard of printopia... NICE. Thanks

13. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

vote number 3 for hacktivator! Very simple, and works flawlessly for me. I print wirelessly directly from the iPad to my Xerox later printer

14. classicalbear macrumors member

need suggestion

I'M looking too for a solution for printing WITHOUT the use of a computer... (well this is a little stupid, if I need a computer on, why would I print from the iPAd?)
    So if I use a Airport Express connected to one of the HP Printer from the list, would it work?

LIke this one? HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf

I can't use a eprint one cause, where I need to use it there is no internet...

Ideas anyone?

15. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

Yep, look up it's called hacktivator :cool:

I use it to print through an airport extreme, I have an express but that's hooked up to some speakers in the bathroom for shower singing ;)

Works fine for printing through the extreme, so hopefully should be the same on the express

16. classicalbear macrumors member

Not what I'm looking for, this type of app needs a computer to run.

I'll be more clear. I want to print at work, where I have NO INTERNET and NO COMPUTER only an iPAD and a PRINTER, and maybe an Airport Express (since I need a network BUT the network WILL NOT BE CONNECTED to the INTERNET)

Do I make sense, or this is not something possible?

There is not WIFI or internet where I work, that's why my iPAd is 3G. And instead of carrying my Macbook, I'd take only my iPad and print what ever I want.

17. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

Yeah makes sense. Give me a few hours and I'll unplug the dsl modem and make sure there are no computers turned in, and see if the iPad will print

I know you'll definitely need to set up your work printer up with the use of a. Laptop or desktop first time around though.

18. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

I've just tried it, and unfortunately you do need to have a computer running on the network. I didn't realise this, and thought I was printing directly from the iPad. What a stupid way of doing things. I understand the issue with driver etc taking up space, but surely there should be a way to just install the driver you want as opposed to having a load of them pre installed

Apologies for not realising you can't print directly from the iPad without using a desktop or laptop etc

The link to download Hacktivator for those who have a computer on their network already is : http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/35969/airprint-hacktivator

19. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Couldn't get AirPrint Hacktivator to work, but Printopia works as advertised, I LOVE it:cool:

20. classicalbear macrumors member

Anyone print?

Do does anyone print on a HP printer WITHOUT using their computer?

21. classicalbear macrumors member

So no answers? Suggestion. Guess no ne really care about printing from iPad and everybody use the computer to print...

22. wallyu macrumors newbie

I have PrintBureau and I print directly from iPad to a printer though an AirportExpress connected to a printer via USB. No computer needed. Once it's set up it prints immediately. PrintBureau has all the drivers. I have printed in two different set-ups: one to an HP PSC750 LaserJet and the other to a Canon MP620. The iPad found the printers right away. The only drawback is that PB prints a snapshot of the screen and not the document itself. But for a quick reference sheet it's fine. It also offers file storage/management and allows sharing files through Bluetooth to another Pad with PB. I have not tried this yet though.

23. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Thanks, you actually responded a question I had. I was hoping for PrintBureau to solve my printing problems, but now I see that it prints a screenshot, delivering a not that great quality printout. Too bad!
    If anyone comes up with a better printing solution that doesn't require a PC or Mac, please let us know!

24. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I remember using this app before. Is not bad, just a pain to move documents around just to be able to print.
    We need a more reliable solution. AirPrint is great for home use, but for roaming it is not.

25. Maagus macrumors regular

I use Printer Pro. It has a free version in the appstore so you can test whether it works with your printer. It integrates to Open In.. dialogue, so if you want to print for example image, pdf or document, you have to open in in that app forst and then print it from there.

I use it succesfully with my Epson network printer. Also tested it at work with network HP printers and works flawlessly.