Wireless router - What are you using?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mo Tiggas, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Mo Tiggas macrumors member

Looking for a good wireless N router to hook up to my comcast connection. Nothing fancy, and apple's router might be a little much for me. What are people using? Hoping to spend $75, but I'm flexible either way... Thanks

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

D-link DIR 655 here, but you'll find it's about $150US (can't remember the price exactly - got it at CostCo). I use it with Comcast, works well.

3. rolex54 macrumors 6502

airport extreme
    trust me dude, its worth it
    its never gone down once in over 10 months
    much better than my WRT54G which needed to be unplugged every 10 min

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

A Mac Pro at one house and an Airport Extreme at the other. Airport Express might be good for you, Apple has been good to me router wise.

5. Mo Tiggas thread starter macrumors member

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Using a trusty Linksys WRT54G - Still on 802.11G. I have delayed buying a time capsule because of the problems they are having communicating to Xbox 360s.

7. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Mega Agreeage

8. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

That's a good price on the DIR-655 at newegg. I was only pointing you to the D-link web site so you could see what I was referring to. What impressed me was the foldout inside the box that showed specifically what to do if you have a Comcast connection - how to hook up, what to turn off/on first so the D-Link got the info it needed. I was up and running in minutes.

9. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Netgear. IDK the model, but always had good experience with Netgear routers. And you can definitely get one for under $75. Think the one I have cost me about $30 on sale at Frys.

10. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I have 3 AEBS configured for 5GHz N Extended Network using wide channel and a 4th AEBS to bridge backward compatible B/G/N 2.4GHz. Makes for pretty sick wireless bandwidth.

11. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

12. hartwork macrumors member

I also use an Airport Extreme but every couple of months I have to switch if off and on again because the data hangs for whatever reason. Other than that, it's good.

Of all the wireless routers I've used, it's by far the easiest to configure.

13. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I suggest you get a Belkin N router, they may be a little expensive but are extremely reliable, and provide very good signal strength. In the office i have three WRTG54s on the same SSID all for domain login, and server internet access, and they work perfectly...

14. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Another vote for the D-Link DIR-655. Awesome router. Handles tons of connections. I've gone months without having to restart it.

15. ichiban macrumors newbie

AEBS N + Gigabit, got it free from Apple. Otherwise I would have one of the standards: Linksys, DLink, Netgear in that order.

16. Mo Tiggas thread starter macrumors member

Is the range of the N that much better than g?

17. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
  18. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

It's much better. There are a few things that you want to consider, so I will give you a wiki link that has a chart at the bottom showing the diff's in the 11.x protocols.

19. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

I had the linksys WRT54G. It has now been replaced by the airport extreme and I couldn't be happier.

20. comptr macrumors 65816

I have a linksys 600n router but I am replacing it with a tc. go with a tc.

21. random818 macrumors newbie

wrt54g v5 with a dd-wrt firmware... This router worked flawlessly for 2+ years. Its only been this past a couple of weeks where it acted up and I looked for fixes such as 3rd party firmware.

22. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

23. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Yesterday I set up a Time Capsule for a friend -- process was easy and painless, SOOOO much easier than helping her set up a LinkSys a couple of years ago.....

24. eman macrumors 6502a

I'm with you. My Linksys WRT54G constantly lost connection and wouldn't reset itself. I purchased the AEBS with 802.11N for $126 shipped from ebay (new) and could be happier and it also solved my printing problems. If my high speed broadband goes out and then back on, my AEBS automatically resets itself.

25. phannon666 macrumors regular

How well does Airport Extreme work with xbox 360? I'm talking specifically about NAT type.

I currently use a BT Homehub with my X360 and MBP, no probs with the mac but every now and again the home hub decides to allocate the X360 a new IP even though I've told it otherwise, thus is assigns xbox live application to another device and the X360's NAT type goes back to strict, sucks balls when playing Halo with mates, sometimes it prevents matchmaking and joining parties. This is the only way to force the NAT type to be open with the homehub which sucks and blows.