Wireless Syncing NOT so "wireless"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThE.MeSsEnGeR, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

I was so excited to hear that Apple has finally decided to let us wirelessly sync our iOS devices... but I was bummed, and got a huge let down when I read this on the "iOS Features" page:

so we DO have to connect, and we're not cutting the cables at all! Think about it, I'm on a plane and I want to sync, I won't be able to do so unless I plug it in.
    and personally I don't have an iPhone Dock, so I charge my iPhone through my MacBook, which means no wireless syncing for me?

for those who want further proof go to the new iOS video on the features page and skip to 4:50...

I'm really hyped up about iOS 5.0... but this was a huge let down for me, hopefully it's an optional setting.

2. Requiemm macrumors regular

It is wireless syncing. You want remote syncing which is a different animal altogether.

As i don't have to plug in a wire, it's wireless. I also believe I saw that it will auto-sync while charging which would be a nice feature for me.

BTW, you can still have a wireless sync on the plane. You just need your MacBook with you and have it offer a wireless network. Still wireless.

3. Krandor macrumors 6502

I expected wireless syncing to be Wifi Only. Data usage for 3G syncing could be a big issues with several of the carriers.

You are going to have to plug in your phone to charge every day or two anyway so this way it syncs at the same time. I like it especially on iPad which really needs to be plugged into the wall to charge.

4. zOdeac macrumors member

One thing that drives me nuts is i subscribe to Coast to Coast AM. in iTunes i have to click download hour 2 3 and 4 to get this to work.

It also makes me have to leave my laptop on? I have a Mac-book pro so i will have to turn on my laptop to WiFi sync? I understand if you had a desktop but i'm on a laptop. yes i know i have to sync now with the laptop but to be truly WiFi would have been great. If they do this it makes me think should i get a Mac Mini and put it next to my 8tb nas? Are they going to make some other device to make it so i can sync better then what i have now with still having to keep my laptop on?

I don't know im mixed about this full thing.

5. Krandor macrumors 6502

I am not sure what you expected. if your computer (laptop or desktop) with iTunes is off how can it possibly sync your iDevice? Your nas would have to have some protocol to talk to iCloud or iOS which doesn't exist.

How did you expect a wireless sync without a computer on to even work?

6. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

you don't get it, do you? you HAVE to plug in your device... ok, maybe they broadened the experience a bit by having to plug it in anywhere (not just your computer) but you still have to plug.

and btw, explain how can you wirelessly sync on the plane? you have to plug the device for charging. I was not talking about the unavailability of wireless services on planes.

7. Krandor macrumors 6502

This part I can help with. I used to have the same issue with Rush Limbaugh show. Make sure the settings for the podcast as set to "download all episodes" and not "download most recent". Do that and when new episodes come out it should get all of them.

8. Krandor macrumors 6502

Right you already have to plug it in to charge so now it syncs as well. In my case I often charge my phone by my bed so I can use the alarm. This is not the same room as my computer so if I want latest podcasts, etc. after I get up I must go to my computer and sync it even though it was plugged in all night. This way I wake up in the morning to a nicely synced phone. Much better.

Basically this means you do not have to plug the device in one place to charge and another place to sync. Not everybody does that and it you charge and sync at the same location there is no change. However, if you charge at one place and sync at another this makes a big difference.

You charge from your laptop so nothing will change for you.

9. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

You may still be able to do a manual wireless sync without it being plugged in, that could be just for auto... we need to actually get the beta before we go burning down 1 Infinity Loop.

10. Krandor macrumors 6502

I see the use if it just does it when plugged it but I do agree that a manual button as well would be nice. Maybe it is auto sync when plugged in, but with an optional manual sync button somewhere. As you said we must want for the beta.

I am sure we will be getting a lot more detail tonight as devs start loading up the beta.

11. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

Thank you! that was an answer I was looking for! :D

12. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

Just what I was gonna say. They never said you couldn't do a manual sync. All they said was that it synced automatically when you plugged it in. I for one wouldn't want my phone syncing every hour without it being plugged in. Talk about a drain on the battery.

13. shandyman Suspended

exactly! we don't know exacts yet.

14. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I'm guessing this is to ensure the sync actually works (since you'll have a power source). If your battery is almost dead, what would happen to your sync?

Like I said though, that's just my guess.

15. Krandor macrumors 6502

That shouldn't be much different then unplugging an iDevice in the middle of syncing which I have done before with no ill effects. The next sync just takes longer since it has to go through a verify phase.

16. zOdeac macrumors member

That is the best thing i have heard all day. Thank you it was getting annoying having to hit the stupid get button each and every day.

17. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

would you be heavy-using your iPhone if the battery was almost dead? say, streaming Netflix or playing a high graphics game... of course not; you'll want to plug it in, and use it while you charge it. and that's the case for syncing while the battery is below 10%...

but what about when you have decent battery charge? you'll want to do anything without needing to plug it in, including wireless syncing.

see my point?

18. Greenman85 macrumors regular

you're joking right?

19. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You have to plug in your device to a power source so that the battery won't drain while its backing-up with iCloud or iTunes overnight, and if you want to Sync your device with iTunes (to add new music or a Podcast), you would have to plug it into a power source within range of your computer.

Its all in that 5 minute video on apple.com

20. Greenman85 macrumors regular

Your point makes no sense because you will most likely be able to manually sync whenever you want.

HAVING TO BE PLUGGED IN IS ONLY REFERRING TO AUTO SYNC. IT AUTO SYNCS WHENEVER YOU PLUG IT IN. IN ADDITION TO BEING ABLE TO MANUALLY SYNC WHENEVER YOU FREAKING WANT

21. MCRunning macrumors 6502

What about those who only have laptops? I assume you will have to leave them open to wirelessly sync?

22. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

dude, I really hate when people use CAPS LOCK ON ME BECAUSE I FEEL THAT YOU'RE SCREAMING! so, there's no need in that!

plus, if you read what Apple wrote word by word, you would understand what they really mean:

which means: to be able to wirelessly sync your iOS device you have to connect it to a power source. it doesn't say "to be able to automatically sync your iOS device you have to plug it in"

one last thing... if they would've had the option of manual wireless syncing without having the need of plugging it in to a power source they would've advertised it, because:

wireless syncing while charging <<< wireless syncing anytime. period.

23. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Actually I think your wrong. It actually does specifically mention automatically and plugged in.

"Wirelessly sync your iOS device to your Mac or PC over a shared Wi-Fi connection."

"Every time you connect your iOS device to a power source (say, overnight for charging), it automatically syncs and backs up any new content to iTunes."

Either way, no point in debating it, I will have iOS5 Beta and iTunes beta installed in about an hour and will be happy to let you know.

24. shandyman Suspended

my mate has tried it, you can wirelessly sync without being plugged in to anything at all. i'm waiting for my UUID to be registered, so not texted it myself

25. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

You can wirelessly drag and drop apps and music into the iPhone through iTunes right? That's how I understand Wi-Fi sync.