Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Who is that ominous "we" of whom you are talking all the time? I have *NOTHING* in common with you, I hope!

If you'r not pleased, if you feel ripped off don't buy it. It's simple like that. I don't really get your problem. Just stop whining.

Thank you!

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Who is that ominous "we" of whom you are talking all the time? I have *NOTHING* in common with you, I hope!

If you'r not pleased, if you feel ripped off don't buy it. It's simple like that. I don't really get your problem. Just stop whining.

Thank you!
Why, because you say so? Forget it! I have the same right to express my opinion as you do. So stop acting like your opinion is the only one that can be spoken or like any other ones are not welcome here, becasue you aint right. This is a public forums so I will be expressing my opinions as freely as I want to, and you will not be dictating me what I can say or not. And yes I will be whining about whatever and whenever I want to, regardless of wheter you have a problem with this or not.

and for the record - you did not respond to any of my arguments, but I don't expect it anymore at this point

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Why, because you say so? Forget it! I have the same right to express my opinion as you do. So stop acting like your opinion is the only one that can be spoken or like any other ones are not welcome here, becasue you aint right. This is a public forums so I will be expressing my opinions as freely as I want to, and you will not be dictating me what I can say or not. And yes I will be whining about whatever and whenever I want to, regardless of wheter you have a problem with this or not.

and for the record - you did not respond to any of my arguments, but I don't expect it anymore at this point

Did you buy the iPt 4 and felt ripped off?

The Intruder

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
I bet you next year Goodboy will be complaining about the ipod touch 5th gen just because the iphones better.

tkingart

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2010
West Coast
In regards to the "light leak" with iPod Touch 4G's, I've seen 2x 8GB and 2x 32GB models ALL with "light leak", me and my GF each have a 32GB iTouch 4G and both have light leak, it's a bit concerning to me, because it looks like "small/thin chips under the glass", and I'm worried such a thing could become worse, or potentially have more wear/tear by leaking moisture under the glass.

The light leaks are a real problem, the 32GB models I've seen had 1 area with the problem (upper left side), the 8GB models all had 3 areas with light leaking (1 upper left, and 2 on right side), the problem was consistent on all of the models I looked at. This really is something that needs to be looked into, as it is quite distracting in low light conditions.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Like I said before, touches were always inferior to iPhones, but never before as much as this year's touch is to iPhone 4. This is something I don't like

So your satisfaction with the iPod Touch is determined by the following:

The difference in spec between iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4 must be less than or equal to the difference in spec between the iPhone 3 and and iPod Touch 3.

So if there was already a huge gap between the iPhone 3 and iPod Touch 3 you would be happy with the current situation? But then you also say that you are dissatisfied with the current features of the iPod Touch 4 on an absolute basis. But they're better than the previous iteration! But that's not enough for you, because of the above formula.

Anyway, you complain that nobody addresses your arguments; I'm just trying to figure out what your argument is, so if the above is accurate, let us know. All I can tell is you don't think the iPod Touch is worth it. That's great, lots of other people (those fanboys!) think otherwise.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
@Carouser
Yes, you're right, got my point 100% :) I just don't like the fact iPod touch 4gen started to drift away from this year's iPhone specification to some very big extend. Again, it's not like "if you don't like iPod, buy an iPhone!", as I never expected iPod touch to be a 100% copy of an iPhone. Wouldn't it be nice if Apple put a decent 3mpix camera to the new touch, instead of 0.7mpix? Really, iPod touch could still be diviersified from the iPhone, if it had not the same parts, but much better than what it turned out to be, at the same 299$ price point. Don't let anyone fool you guys it wasn't possible, as probably for a year we're gonna see much better cameras in touch 5gen at the same price. I wonder what all the fanboys gonna say then.

I bet you next year Goodboy will be complaining about the ipod touch 5th gen just because the iphones better.
That depends on what features iPod touch 5gen gonna have. It's clear to my that an iPhone will forever remain the best, my point is not for them to be identical. All I want is close enough feature set to iPhone's, so that they gonna be decent enough for users. I'm sorry, but 0.7mpix camera is not decent for anyone. Of course those who bought touch 4gen gonna find million excuses it's ok camera, but we all know it's not. Let's be realistic.

Oats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
New York
Obviously, it's not an iPhone, so I don't expect my iPod touch to make phone calls and have everything the iPhone does. I don't mind so much that it doesn't have exactly the same display -- still plenty fine for me.

A couple things grate on me. What frustrates me are the design decisions that they made that don't really cost a lot more to produce, but were driven by desire for super thinness. I.e. crappy camera and ridiculous placement of volume/power buttons. I'm sure they will still sell plenty of them, but I'm disappointed with Apple's attention to detail and priorities on this one. Maybe 5G touch will be better, I just couldn't wait another year.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
Hey, look! Another one of these threads! I mean, it's only been a few hours since somebody posted the exact same thing, so we were about due, right?
/facepalm

Congratulations, buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/Latte-iVü-Player-Built-Transmitter/dp/B001NEK2SM
There's your 2MP camera that you seem to be so damn concerned about. I'm simply going to start recommending this to everyone who whines and stomps their feet about the "shoulda-coulda-woulda" that THEY think the iPod touch needs to be.

Apple could make an iPod that plays music, runs apps, cures cancer, folds your laundry, takes 250 megapixel photos, finds life on new planets, replaces Hubble, prints money, does your homework, teaches you to dance, waters your plants, unfolds into a 72" LCD television, and creates water from scratch ...
... and you guys would STILL find something to bitch about.

Seriously. GET OVER IT.

cityathrt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
I'm finally speaking up in one of these threads because the sheer... Amount o temper tantrum being thrown is really amusing me.

I personally really like the iPt4 because of it's thinness -- the very thing you're saying that makes it such a bad product. I'm all about cutting down on bulky objects, especially with all the electronics that we carry around these days. This is perfect to slip in my pocket, it doesn't create an uncomfortable bulge like the iPhone. I upgraded from the third gen nano and am incredibly impressed. I play a ton of games on this, use it for my alarm clock on business trips, do my personal browsing on it and ditch my personal laptop at home, keep track of my schedule on it, tune my instruments with it, pull it out for the impromptu shot, and of course carry all my music around wih it. It's my favorite toy right now.

Now... If I'm traveling or out with friends, I pull out my wide angle camera. If I need excellent call quality, I go to my Blackberry. If I need GPS, I turn on the one in the car. I'm hardly a fangirl as I was very anti Apple up until now -- even my nano was meh to me. Seriously guys, if you want an iPt4 with iPhone innards at iPod prices... Design it yourself or beg your parents for one.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Wouldn't it be nice if Apple put a decent 3mpix camera to the new touch, instead of 0.7mpix

Sure. Some of us think Apple would have done this if it made competitive and economic sense. Since they didn't include such a camera, they were probably not free to do so (unless you think they are free to ignore competitive and economic constraints).

The fact that a camera may not cost a lot is also irrelevant - The material costs to Apple or any other similar corporation for the things they make aren't the primary determinant of how much they have to charge consumers in order to remain viable businesses.

Some people think the reason there is no camera is entirely (not just partially) explainable by Jobs' malice, or an obsession with thinness (I'm still waiting for useful sources - a throwaway comment by an Apple staffer to a tech blog doesn't count). Even if this is true (lol) it's irrelevant and silly to care about.

Don't let anyone fool you guys it wasn't possible, as probably for a year we're gonna see much better cameras in touch 5gen at the same price. I wonder what all the fanboys gonna say then.

You do know that because something is possible in a year doesn't mean it's possible right now, right?

Anyway, I am glad I understand your point. I think it's a bizarre way to evaluate consumer products. What else is there to say?

GekiRed

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Hades aka England
Wrong and a very cheap argument. I see Apple fanboys are using this argument quite often. Like I said before, touches were always inferior to iPhones, but never before as much as this year's touch is to iPhone 4. This is something I don't like, not the fact it's not a 100% iPhone copy, which I never expected it to be. In this years touch it's too much ripped off from iPhone4. Apple delivered inferior features in cheap parts and still want to make as much money, becasuse the price remained the same.

+1

I agree with you Goodboy 100%!

This is why I hate Apple fanboys who throw their toys out of the pram when they can't come up with decent answers as to why they're right and the person they're arguing with are wrong; Mr Kram being a perfect example of one who said that he wouldn't say anything to you any more because he'd have to admit you were right and he was wrong and that Steve Jobs is a big, fat hypocrite!

GekiRed

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Hades aka England
Well, it isn't. You can whinge and whine all day long. It is what it is, like it or lump it. Buy it don't buy it. Deal with it.

Where did you get the idea that the OP was a whinger and a whiner just because he was making some valid points about the new iPod Touch?

If everybody had the same opinions, it would a be a boring, ****** world indeed!

Opinions are like *******s in that everyone has one!:D

In any case, what's YOUR problem with what he/she has to say?

tesilential

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Wow this thread is lacking logic!

Goodboy, the last iPod touch was a couple key features compared to the iPhone:

*Camera
*3g
*GPS

The new Ipod touch eliminated one of the 3 main lackings of the touch. I don't think it will or should ever get 3g because then it could be used as a calling device with VOIP apps, which would cut into their iPhone sales.

I agree with the OP that the new touch should have been a little thicker with 512 MB RAM and a better camera, but in spite of that it's still better than the previous touch in every way, and a worth upgrade, especially because the price is essentially the same. Apple doesn't have to upgrade the touch at all, they could make a totally new beefed up model and sell it for 600 bucks like the iPhone. The touch is a supplemental device, most people don't have theres with them all the time.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Goodboy, the last iPod touch was a couple key features compared to the iPhone:

*Camera
*3g
*GPS
Yes, but at the same time both devices had same amount of ram, same processor speed, same LCD quality - all those most important things. This year, Apple decided to ripp iPod touch of those decent things, and give customers crappy rear camera instead. What do you prefer? Because I'd want same speed, more ram and IPS screeen instead of 0,7mpix camera. So yeah they gave more features, but of what quality? And was it worth decreasing other features such as performance and LCD quality? In my opinion not worth it. Touch has always been worse than iPhone, but it was close enough to be a decent "iphone without a phone". This time, though, it's so far away. I'm starting to think Apple has stopped caring for iPod touch, they're simply more focused on iPhone and iPad devices.

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Yeah, I wish my ipod had 3g, a phone, and a 10 mp camera. I also wish my VW was a BMW, and my apartment was a mansion. You want more, you pay more for it. If an iphone is what you want, buy that. Quit complaining that an ipod isn't an iphone.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
+1

I agree with you Goodboy 100%!

This is why I hate Apple fanboys who throw their toys out of the pram when they can't come up with decent answers as to why they're right...

*sigh*

No. It's infuriating and extremely frustrating to argue with GoodBoy because he simply avoids any argument that destroys his naive view of the business world and often resorts to outright lies.

He argues that this year's iPod Touch is further than ever from the iPhone. Yet, you can tell me. When was the last time the iPod was able to take video&pictures and make video calls via wi-fi? Right, never.

Yet in GoodBoy's little troll mind, somehow such features are completely meaningless. The only things that matter are specs and the display type. I mean who cares about the fact you can do so much with the built-in cameras and the mic? All he's asking is that the $230-300 device to have all the features of the $500+ device.

I'm going to repeat myself here. Apple is an EXTREMELY greed company. Which means they'll try their hardest to keep the gross margin per unit as high as possible while giving the most incentive to the potential buyers. For those who haven't taken Business 101, that means making a choice: if Apple gave more RAM and a better display to the iPod Touch, that means no cameras and (unlikely but possible) even the high resolution display. We know GoodBoy really wants to have the "specs" more, but Apple, with their little marketing department, did their research and decided cameras would sell better so they chose to go with that, notwithstanding GoodBoy's sad unhappy online antics.

If you expect the iPod Touch to have all the specs and features of the iPhone at less than half the price, then you're not the customer Apple wants. Either buy the iPhone or be happy with what's in the iPod Touch if you cannot afford the iPhone. If you're not happy with Apple, then feel free to buy a competing product from another company. Just don't expect people to take pity on your unrealistic view just because you're too cheap to buy the iPhone.

... What do you prefer? Because I'd want same speed, more ram and IPS screeen instead of 0,7mpix camera. So yeah they gave more features, but of what quality? And was it worth decreasing other features such as performance and LCD quality? In my opinion not worth it.

I prefer to have the pretty decent HD video with great editing functionality of the iMovie (as well as video calls) right now over the 256MB RAM which might have some effect down the line but nothing of significance right now. And what "decreasing" in performance? The iPod Touch feels just as fast (or just as slow) as the iPhone and unless you really want to open so many tabs in Safari, the RAM makes little difference.

Panther71

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Cham-Bana, IL
I don't understand all the whining going on here. How old are you guys, anyway? If you want a device that is like the iPhone, buy the iPhone. It's as simple as that. They are two different products, and will never be exactly alike.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
My favorite thing about these arguments is the people who thing MP are the only thing that matters in a camera. The 3G had a 2 MP camera and the .7 MP camera in the touch is better than it.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
I prefer to have the pretty decent HD video with great editing functionality of the iMovie (as well as video calls) right now over the 256MB RAM which might have some effect down the line but nothing of significance right now. And what "decreasing" in performance? The iPod Touch feels just as fast (or just as slow) as the iPhone and unless you really want to open so many tabs in Safari, the RAM makes little difference.
It's your choice. I prefer iPhone performance over crappy camera. And stop trolling about differences between iPhone vs touch. Yes, we all know touch was always inferior, but never before it was worse in terms of performance. And yes, I would prefer 512mb of ram, better processor speed, and great IPS display over 0.7mpix sensor. Additional features such as cameras would be welcomed, if they were of decent quality.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
... And stop trolling about differences between iPhone vs touch.

Great to hear that from a troll who keeps trolling because he's bitter about his own cheapness. :rolleyes:

Yes, we all know touch was always inferior, but never before it was worse in terms of performance. And yes, I would prefer 512mb of ram, better processor speed, and great IPS display over 0.7mpix sensor. Additional features such as cameras would be welcomed, if they were of decent quality.

What's so bad about the iPod Touch's performance? I've tested it side-by-side against the iPhone 4 and if anything, it felt a tinge faster in loading websites. I can imagine it's slower if you load a ton of background processes or tabs but I didn't run into that while testing.

And never before the Touch had cameras, not to mention that it actually produces pretty decent video quality, just not for still pictures.

And you still haven't given any answer to the actual point: what do you think the regular buyers of the iPod Touch care more about?

- the RAM amount that matter little in actual usage and IPS screen that's nice but will add $$$ to the price tag and doesn't add any additional functionality

or

- two cameras that lets them take HD video, edit them on device, upload them straight to youtube, make video calls and use apps that need the camera?

Gee, I wonder what average buyers of the iPod Touch will put more weight on? When was the last time average parents asked about how much RAM(not flash memory) an iPod has? Do they ask the RAM amount of the iPad before buying and claim "The device is useless, it only has 256MB!"? It's too bad that Apple chose to make tradeoffs not approved by the online geek "GoodBoy" and instead decided to trust their marketing department. What a biig mistake.

And here I remind you again: if you're not happy with the iPod Touch, you can always buy the iPhone 4 or get another device...oh wait, but you don't want to spend more money and still want an iOS device so you keep pouting in forums and keep crying about how Apple took your lunch money. And you're telling others they are hopeless Apple fanboys because they do realize Apple the profit-seeking corporation won't sell you a device identical to a much more expensive one. :rolleyes:

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
I'm done with you. Keep calling ppl names - everybody with different opinion is troll to you... that's what you're best at, and that's all you do here. Talk to yourself next time, casue I aint gonna respond to your nonsens no more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.