Wish we could disable the lock screen...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fatbarstewar, Aug 30, 2011.

1. fatbarstewar, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

fatbarstewar macrumors member

...without having to jailbreak. Used to be jailbroken, not interested anymore, but it's one thing I really miss.

I know it's an oooooold issue, but it's still a valid complaint.

Edit: Auto lock---->never does NOT rid you of the lock screen!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So you want to pocket dial people? There is a lock screen for a reason.

3. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

How big is your pocket?

4. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

lol! :)

5. xraytech macrumors 68020

There is a way to disable the Lock Screen. Set the Auto Lock Time to "Never" and never touch the Sleep/Wake Button.

There are reasons for the Lock Screen. Is it that hard to do a simple swipe?

6. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

7. joshetanner macrumors newbie

joshetanner

Ipad thread

I don't think you realized that this was posted in the Ipad thread. No one worries about pocket dialing people on an ipad.

8. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yeah, but hello three dust lines down the screen that you have to wipe constantly!

9. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I agree.

It's a vestigial part of the iPhone that doesn't serve the same purpose anymore. It would be nice to see Apple focus on growing the iPad into its path and remove the iPhone training wheels.

10. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

not everybody is a clown.

11. fatbarstewar thread starter macrumors member

Exactly.

Other responses;

That it's there for a reason is a null argument - see al256 and Pez555's post.

Re: smart cover, the whole point of that, for me, is that when its around the house I leave it naked (although I have a plastic back protector).

Auto sleep->Never doesn't solve the problem.

"it's just a swipe" - good UI minimises unecessary actions. A simple toggle in settings would be simple enough.

12. yegon macrumors 68020

Definitely.

On a computer, you just tap a key to resume from sleep (assuming it's not password locked). The iPad takes 2 actions.

I'm the same with the smart cover, the reason I use one is because I can use the iPad without being fettered by a case or dangly bits. I put it back on when it's not being used for ages or if it's going in a bag.

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Just about every iPad two case has a magnet in the front cover, why would you want to mess with the Smart Cover?

14. Signor S. macrumors member

Remember how cool it was back in 2007 to slide your finger over the "slide to unlock"? How soon we take things for granted.

15. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Yes it was nice, and it still makes perfect sense - on a phone.

The only reason the unlock screen exists is to prevent unwanted input when you accidentally turn on the device, which can happen a lot in your pocket or in a bag.

With the iPad the chance of accidentally turning it on is much less, because more than likely you are holding it in your hand versus it being in a pocket or bag.

I say have it enabled by default but have the option to turn it off.

Also, it does get a little more useful in iOS5 with email and notifications, but still the option to turn it off on the iPad would be nice.

16. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Not to mention the iPhone and iPad don't respond to much else other than the touch of a human finger. I wouldn't be concerned about a textbook in my bag opening up an app on my iPad, as it wouldn't be able to.

The lock screen does need to go. Or have it only come up after the time allotment for a passcode is up, so you must enter it.

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Easy enough to disable the tablet lock screen:

- Settings.
    - Location and Security
    - Configure Lock Screen
    - Off (Never lock the screen).

Works great. Never have to swipe again on startup.

18. daffie macrumors regular

daffie

I agree. It becomes rather tedious having to swipe each time after I pick up my ipad from the couch next to me before being able to use it. Just a simple addition to the settings Menu would do it. Hopefully this will be implemented soon.

19. yegon macrumors 68020

Nope, that does not solve the issue. All that means is it doesn't sleep the screen automatically. From off, the next time you switch it on the lock will still be there.

20. Zcott macrumors 68020

I don't understand the hatred to the smart cover. Keep it clean and you'll be fine.

21. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

He probably has one of these pairs of jeans :D

Attached Files:

22. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Clearly you don't have a passcode set on yours. It's not unreasonable to have to slide to unlock, but there should be an option to type your passcode on the lockscreen so it doesn't require a two step process every time. Even with notifications on iOS 5 there will be room for a number pad. One of my favorite JB mods is NoLockScreen, but this will change with iOS 5.

23. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Could you explain what these reasons are? Because I have mine disabled (with JB) and it's great! I have yet to run into any of these reasons.

24. fatbarstewar, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

fatbarstewar thread starter macrumors member

Silly how some people are +1ing that autolock->never solves the problem. It does NOT rid you of the lock screen, hello McFly. If it did I wouldnt bother with this thread would I?

25. yegon macrumors 68020

Yeah, dunno why people persist in saying that. They're flat wrong.