Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yorokondo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2018
I have a macbook pro Mid 2015
i7 2.5 Ghz
16GB RAM
Radeon R9 2GB
512 SSD
etc. (high end model from 2015)

Basically the game runs really smooth and I can run Witcher 2 on high settings. What bothers me is that after a couple of minutes after launching the game (around 3 minutes), the fans are starting to get really, really loud and MacBook is getting pretty hot (I haven't checked the temperature, it might not be 'this hot', but the fans are working pretty hard). This also happens on low quality settings. The fans are getting annoyingly loud. Is it normal? Considering this game is from 2011 this computer shouldn't have any problems running it even if it is not optimized for gaming. Is it normal behavior when playing this game (or games alike), should I worry about loud fans or is it just the way it is, and I should just ignore that(live with loud fans if the computer is not overheating). I have just bought this MacBook (it is pretty new, very good condition, so it is not a broken device problem) and I was a PC user before that, and I could run Witcher 3 on much worse machine. Apart from that the computer works fine, and the fans turn off when I quit the game. I would appreciate some advice from more experienced MacBook users.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
This is normal for any laptop really.

The Witcher is kind of a bad example in particular though, since the Mac port isn't the best. Much better with Witcher 2 than 1 though. Original Witcher ran under Wine for Mac. (Emulates Windows system calls).

But yeah, because of the way game code is normally written, the computer will never stop working on new frames no matter how well the game is running. You could be pumping out 500 frames per second, and your hardware would still push its hardest to deliver 501. Now you can use frame rate limiters to cap it to reduce the unnecessary work, but I'm not sure The Witcher has one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.