Witcher 2 Performance Issues on 2011 iMac???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by swarleystinson, May 18, 2011.

1. swarleystinson macrumors member

swarleystinson

Guys, anyone having any success getting this game to run well on the 2011 iMac?

I have 3.4 GHz CPU option and 2 GB 6970m on the 27" iMac, and I'm having trouble keeping a steady frame rate even on 1080p with low settings/720p med settings!
    And yes, I've tried turning off "ubersampling", SSAO, and have tried a most every possible combination in the Witcher 2's display options.

Anyone else out there found a solution?

2. thomasarisager macrumors newbie

/bump

Anyone know anything about this? This is one of the games I'll be playing when I buy the 21" inch 2,7Ghz..

3. nyukfui macrumors member

4. trudderham macrumors newbie

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You might want to mention under what OS your running this.

6. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

That's a joke, right?

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Something your do not understand about Macs?

Its going to be either XP, Vista or Win 7, and its either going to be under Boot camp or VMware of some sort.

8. swarleystinson thread starter macrumors member

swarleystinson

So maybe the problem is unique to the 64-bit version of Windows 7?
    Do you have a 2011 iMac? I had no problem installing ATI drivers on my mid-2010 iMac, but keep getting errors saying essentially "graphics adapter not supported" on my 6970m iMac.

9. trudderham macrumors newbie

Yeah it's the latest model, 6970m 1GB, and Windows 7 32bit on Boot Camp.

The drivers didn't work me for at first, but I loaded up Parallels, installed the drivers without a hitch, then re-booted into Boot Camp and everything was working. Bit of a crazy work around I know!

10. swarleystinson thread starter macrumors member

swarleystinson

Interesting! Did you uninstall the drivers via device manager first? Did you do any registry sweeping?
    Did you boot in safe mode? (never used parallels, not sure if this is doable or not).

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it ASAP.

11. imacken macrumors 65816

Didn't work for me from Parallels. Just the usual 'incompatible video card' type error.
    Have you got a link to the drivers you installed?

12. imacken macrumors 65816

OK, I substituted for the 64-bit drivers, and it ran OK. Still, I'm more confused now.
    Although Catalyst Manager shows up in Installed Programs, in Device Manager, the drivers are still the same ones that were there before, i.e. 8.812 (I think).
    The other thing is that Catalyst Manager doesn't show up anywhere except in 'Uninstall a program'.

13. swarleystinson thread starter macrumors member

swarleystinson

That's why I've been getting the vibe there is some sort of proprietary hardware apple put in place ...? I wonder if I should reinstall windows in 32bit? Still, I'd prefer 64 bit given that I have 8GB RAM to play with.

Did you try and uninstall drivers via device manager and run a registry sweep?
    Trudderham, can you walk us through w/ a little more detail what you did?

14. imacken macrumors 65816

OK, I'm not sure how, but I got it working.
    I installed the driver from http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx#2
    then I went to Device Manager, Video card, update driver, go all the way to selecting the AMD HD 6970M driver. It seems to install OK, although DM says it was still the same old driver.
    Tried The Witcher 2 launcher in native 2560x1440 and it is working!
    Don't ask, I've no idea!

15. swarleystinson thread starter macrumors member

swarleystinson

1) So what kind of FPS are you getting and w/ what general settings? Obviously w/ ubersampling off, but are you running high settings, medium, what?

2) Again, did you delete the old driver via device manager before installing? Or did you simply double click on the exe file and install that way. Did you do this through parallels? Please give a little more info!

16. imacken macrumors 65816

OK, let me say what I did.
    1) How do I measure the FPS in W2? Let me know and I'll report on various settings.
    2) I didn't delete the old driver. I ran the exe, and did what I said in the previous post, i.e. Device Manager, Display, Properties, Update Driver, Browse, Let Me Pick, uncheck 'Show compatible devices', ATI Technologies, AMD Radeon HD 6970M. Let it do its bit, then W2 loaded OK.
    Let us know how you get on.

17. Bardofar macrumors newbie

I have the same experience, on a 27" I7 2011 imac, Nice and smooth gameplay on a standard Win 7 64 bit bootcamp, with standard drivers. 2560x1440 AA off. It does seem to run better when running window mode instead of fullscreen at that resolution, kind of weird but anyhow it works :)

18. swarleystinson thread starter macrumors member

swarleystinson

Go here to install FRAPS.
    Install. Start program before starting the Witcher (or any other game) and you will see numbers running in the top lefthand corner (by default) showing your fps.

I'm still confused. Does your driver number actually change? You should install another program called GPU-Z. Go here to download. Check the driver version of your graphics card with this. Something tells me you didn't actually install the drivers. Normally you have to uninstall the old ones I'm pretty sure.

19. swarleystinson thread starter macrumors member

swarleystinson

That is strange. Are you playing the Steam version?

20. imacken macrumors 65816

Thanks. I'm familiar with FRAPS and GPU-Z, I just thought there was some in-game way of showing the fps.
    No, the driver number didn't change. It still says 8.812. you say about uninstalling, but I've never had to uninstall drivers in Windows. Is this a Bootcamp thing?
    I'll report on FPS and GPU-Z in a few minutes.

21. swarleystinson thread starter macrumors member

swarleystinson

No, it's just every site I've ever read recommends uninstalling graphics drivers and even doing registry sweeps prior to installing new versions. Apparently b/c old files that don't get deleted can cause instability...

So is the performance you're getting much better? And what are the basic settings you're running at? 2560x1440, uber off, SSAO off i'm assuming. is the rest on high?

22. imacken macrumors 65816

OK, the results are in:
    @ 2560x1440
    High 15-20
    Med 25-30
    Low 30-40

@1920x1080
    High 30-40
    Med 40-50
    Low 50-60

All these were at the Barricade scene near the beginning.
    TBH, it still looks really good at low settings. At the moment, I'm thinking tweak with the medium 1920x1080 settings.

23. swarleystinson thread starter macrumors member

swarleystinson

Hmmm...
    well, the 2560x1440 fps you're getting are consistent with mine.

For some reason my 1900x1080 were much lower than yours. Do you have the 3.4 GHz CPU upgrade? I'm wondering if the CPU might be my bottleneck. Perhaps hyperthreading kicks on and TW2 doesn't support it?