With iCloud is there any reason to sync to your computer anymore?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by applefan289, Oct 13, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I was thinking that if I buy an app on my iPhone, it will show up on my computer, etc. Will there be any need to sync?

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

i guess if you're using iTunes match, no. Otherwise you will for music.

3. ringwormcletus macrumors newbie

I still do just in case Apple pulls an app that I use and also to backup my contacts, calendars, etc. locally. Just in case iCloud decides to eat anything. I like cloud syncing, but don't feel safe unless I have a local backup.

4. donnaw macrumors 65816

Considering that you can redownload apps and if you opt into iTunes match, maybe not. But since iCloud is new and we don't know how well restore will work I think I'll keep a backup on my pc. In fact, I'm so OCD about it I also keep a backup of my pc backup on an external hard drive. I probably won't backup to my pc very often though.

For me, iCloud backups and restore is the best part of IOS5

5. xmaseve macrumors regular

Yes, to back-up/import your movies into iPhoto. Unless there is another way to do this that I haven't seen/found...:confused:

6. ringwormcletus macrumors newbie

I've been using sync to iCloud on my 4S and iPad. Works great. I charge my devices overnight and don't think twice about it. I love the way it syncs in the background. I also will be syncing to iTunes at least weekly to have a local backup, just in case iCloud is unavailable or fries my data. And until they figure out something for my ripped DVD collection, I will continue this OCD method.

7. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Wait, don't you have to sync to the computer if you want to sync photos?