With SS & Edition the watch "movement" can be removed?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Luba, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

In Koenig's blog, http://atomicdelights.com, he theorizes that with SS & Edition versions the watch "movement" (watch CPU) can be taken out and replaced, perhaps with a gen 2 version. He also theorizes that in the aluminum version the "movement" is glued on, so you can't replace it. I don't think Apple will announce such an upgrade program now as it would tie their hands. Perhaps if they couldn't or don't thin down gen 2, they would do an upgrade program. Your theory?

2. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

There has been a lot of discussion about this - most people (including me) seem to believe this is wishful thinking.

3. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

The glue would add to the cost, so it would make more sense to only have it on the more expensive models, not the cheapest model. They want to cut costs on those.

4. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Other than he's saying the cheapest model is glued...

5. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

He is saying that is his "theory".

The theory doesn't make economic sense since the glue would add to the cost of the watch. They don't like adding costs to their cheaper products.

6. technosix macrumors 6502a

I don't have a theory, but my guess would be that the inner elements would be secured identically. I can't imagine Apple creating separate methods of attachment. Yet they have been known to make odd decisions like other companies tend to do. We'll know soon.

7. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

Why would glue add to the cost? Typically, glue is the cheapest way of securing components, with other options such as precision-fit parts more expensive.

8. Devie macrumors 6502a

My sport watch is better than yours because its glued.

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yeah.. I also think the replacement program is a wishful thinking. But for the Edition, it's a little less wishful than for an SS. :)

10. bumpylumpy macrumors member

I think we're going to start thinking about the watch and band sets the way SLR photographers think about bodies and lenses.

Typical camera body is $1000-$5000, but you acquire a whole set of attachable lenses that run anywhere from $500 to several thousand dollars. The lenses typically have mounts and connections that are kept stable for many years, so the photographer will upgrade the body every few years to get the latest tech (autofocus, sensitivity, software), but the "glass" collection will keep its value over time even though it's never upgraded.

Years from now, I think we'll see there is still a market for used link bracelets; Apple may have come out with totally different designs by then, equally interesting and at similar price points, with the same connection mechanism.

I think where the big departure may occur is if Apple builds some electronics into the bracelets themselves that require both new watches and bracelets. But even then, like my SLR analogy, the old bracelets will likely still physically attach, you just won't get the extra sensor data.

11. DJTJ macrumors regular

any chance its modular??

Ok, so first off, sorry if this has been asked or discussed already - I flew thru a couple hundred posts and didn't see anything.

So here goes... With the price of an edition watch up here in Canada topping out at $22,000 - plus tax that is almost $25,000 - do you think there is any chance of apple offering a modular upgrade program? Like open the case, pop in the new guts, $200 - done. good for another year.

Most watch makers have had similar styles for years and years - So i dont see why the outside has to change, just the guts.

I just can't see (no matter how much money you have) dropping 25k on a watch that is gonna be obsolete in a year or 2.

thoughts?

12. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

It's been mentioned a bunch of times. Probably should have searched "upgrade" instead of "modular". Some think it will be, some think it won't be.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I previously thought they'd be more reasonably priced and upgradable, but they're priced like a nouveau riche item and their being obsolete in a few short years only add to the desirability for showing off wealth.

14. srshaw macrumors 6502

I think they'd sell more of the expensive ones if they were upgradeable, but then again people buy diamond encrusted iphones and other such things so maybe not.

At least you could melt it down and make a ring or something. Actually if the gold is valuable, which I assume it must be worth several thousand at least there should be a trade in program.

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Probably not a good idea.
    If you trade in gold you'd probably be lucky to even get half the market blue for the gold material, so you may only get something like $600 for your $10,000 watch.

16. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

As to gold resale value..not sure about this but isn't the *gold* on the edition watch a special composite of ceramic and gold?. Ceramic is not easily melted down at all, and the gold content probably much less than standard 18k gold alloys.

17. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I believe this has been talked about, and has been decided this is all normal Apple type "magical talk" to make something special out of something quite normal.
    Using that method would result in low quality poor looking gold which could not be finished very well, and Apple are just using a typical 18K gold mix, nothing special about it.
    It's as special as you making soup, me asking you to but extra onions and seasoning in, which you would do for anyone, and then me claiming it was my special custom soup.
    Whilst that it technically correct, it makes it sound more special than reality.