With the 3GB data plan, I really shouldn't go over right?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Johnny Steps, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

For AT&T. I'm so worried that something might screw me over.

I usually just listen to music, browse the web if I'm bored, twitter, Facebook.. and yeah that's it.

Should I be worried?

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Don't take anything for granted- always watch what how much you use.

Without video, you should be fine, but, depending on the quality and how long you listen daily, music can be almost as bad.

3. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Oh I meant my own music lol. I never really used Pandora, even with the unlimited crap of a 3G Sprint gave me.

And they'll never throttle me correct?

And last question.. when should I use Edge? I know it's like 2.5G. I have IntelliscreenX and it lets me change it to Edge on my iPhone 4S.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

For just using an iPhone? Yeah you'll be fine, you'll be waaaay fine. I use my iPhone quite a lot and look at my last year of data use. I do not have WiFi at work and I do not stream music, so perhaps someone else who does that can chime in.

EDIT: The month of September is a bit of an anomaly really, think it was because I was on vacation or something.

Attached Files:

5. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Oh wow! That's great then! I'll try and watch myself this month but like try and do things normally. If I get a good number I suppose I could play around a bit more since I have 3GB to spare. Too bad it doesn't carry over like roller over minutes lol.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I've never even thought about "watching" my usage. But sure enough if you're worried about it it isn't hurting anyone.

After looking at this chart I'm thinking I should do a challenge month and actually try to break 1.5gb of data use. My chart here is what makes me always wonder why people get so pissy about the 2gb limit. I'm sure there are people out there who really do need a ton of data use, but I doubt there's too many out there.

7. beret9987 macrumors regular

I personally have a 4GB plan, and it suits me fine. I was happy with 3GB but wanted the tethering. 5GB would be nice(i'm used to having unlimited on Sprint) but I figure I can always move around if I needed to. Even on Sprint, I only used 2-3GB.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Before I subscribed to Spotify, my phone usage was similar to yours. I would probably only hit 1gb per month (mostly because my one friend sends me Youtube videos all the time). After I started to stream Spotify then I started getting up there in data. I think you'll be fine with 3gb. Still monitor it to be sure, but really I think you're good.

9. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

You must have had great sprint service then. I barely broke 200mb a month on them. But that's probably because of how bad the service was here that I just gave up.

10. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I had great service with sprint for almost 2 years, got bad after the first year and it got fixed later on, and bad again like one month and a half, used to get 1-2mbps download which works great for me but the past month was 0.15-0.39mbps which is useless for videos and sometimes I even had problems with pandora at the gym , decided to go with AT&T , which has way better service where I live and the 3GB seems to be enough , I had a problem the first day of the month because somehow it show the I have used like 800mb but now is fine ( they did give me a credit for $10 for the usage tho)

This is my speeds test on AT&T now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You also have a month before you decided to stay with them so you should see how your usage is then

11. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Yeah that looks like you live in a place with HSPA+. There's none where I live but I still get 1.2-2mb down. 600kps-1mb up

12. beret9987 macrumors regular

It's pretty good back in the SF Bay Area(consistent 1.5-2.2mbps speeds, but the indoor penetration could use work) but its sorta useless back in my college town(Davis, CA) due to network congestion and same goes for Seattle, WA if you're near UW. Must've been pretty bad if you could barely break 200MB!

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I use my phone like you and I only average about 120MB per month.