With the bend factor in mind should iPads get any thinner ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRealAlex, Apr 5, 2016.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I for one am amazed the computing power squeezed into the 9.7 Pro. The 9.7 is just optimal in terms of screen size and sure displays will get better more colors higher resolutions.

But in overall thinness and the unpredictability of everyday life do you think iPads should be thinner ?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

That's been happening since the iPad 2. Seriously try sitting on one

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

No, they should not. There are other reasons too like excessive chassis and screen vibration should you dare turn up the volume a little bit while playing a game or typing on the thing. I get that thin is in but its WAY too overboard at this stage. When structural integrity and usability start to suffer you've gone too far. I mean, why would you want your tablet to feel like a sheet of paper? Because it looks cool to show other dorks at Starbucks? No thanks. Make mine a tad beefier please.

4. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

No, I think they are thin enough, but then again I want one that is just air and i just make an outline of a square in the air with my finger and bam, I have an ipad there I can watch, if I pinch the corners I can move it around, and if I triple tap the screen it goes away.

5. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I would prefer if they didn't get any thinner.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They seem to be thin enough, Apple should work on making the space everything except the batterry takes up smaller and then instead of using the extra space to shrink it use it for the battery.

7. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Perfect now - no need to be thinner and more prone to bending, vibration, etc.

8. stevemiller macrumors 65832

I think weight is more important at this point. It's already pretty light, but say, if they got a device of this size down to iPhone 6 weight it'd be a dream.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think the iPad line may be reworked as "Paper" or "Scroll" (in companion with the Pencil) in the next few years, being a flexible display with a small section that it rolls into a housing that also contains the electronics. So yes, Apple will keep going thinner and thinner.

My suggestion....don't sit on your damn iPad.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'd prefer better battery life over thinner.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, but I've been saying on all of Apple's products. I think they've taken this thinness obsession too far.

12. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

True, but I am happy the 9.7 iPad weighs way less then the original iPad.

13. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

The only thing that I want thinner are the bezels.

14. Serban Suspended

i don't mind get any thinner if they exchange the aluminium with osmium or graphene !

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Apple needs to get over this thinness binge they are on. On all of it products they are sacrificing features to make it thin . . . STUPID!

16. Serban Suspended

I WANT SLIMMER ALL OF THEM. SOMEDAY I DREAM TO HAVE IN MY POCKET MY IPHONE+LAPTOP

17. wdam123 macrumors regular

wdam123

Ditto

18. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Same here. At some point, the thinness becomes too much. I sometimes find that the thin Apple devices are a bit hard to handle in your hands. A case helps, though.

19. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

+1. In fairness to Apple though, all the 9.7" iPads I've used have amazing battery life. Best battery life I got was from the iPad 4 (web browsing/reading, very low brightness). I was getting around 16+ hours of on-screen time on that thing (at least back when it was new) and around 40+ hours working as wifi hotspot.

20. tom504 macrumors regular

tom504

yes, paper thin that can be rolled up in your pocket and get it's charging source from any light
    [​IMG]

21. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

I think the bezels are as small as they can be whilst allowing you to hold the iPad without obscuring any part of the screen.

22. Serban Suspended

yes the bezels must be thinner only on iphones

23. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

As has been mentioned, I think as long as they are being made from aluminum, then they have reached maximum thinness. But if they were to make them foldable or bendable, or were to make them out of something that was a stronger material, then sure it could get thinner. Remember that thinner usually also means lighter.

24. Wackery macrumors 6502a

25. Serban Suspended