With the negative response to Rogers pricing, should AT&T be scared?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sr5878, Jun 28, 2008.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

Rogers Wireless is getting a huge negative reaction about their data/voice pricing for the iPhone. Canadians, from what I can tell, are essentially up in arms and boycotting the iPhone and Rogers in Canada over it.

Granted, I know there's a big competition/monopoly problem up there, so Rogers is screwing Canadians much more than AT&T could screw us here (especially with the new Samsung phone out, among others that work on different carriers). Should AT&T be worried about their tentative decisions to not include texting and increase data to $30/mo?

I realize they are treating the iPhone like a normal 'smartphone' and running pricing in that fashion, but could they start seeing a similar reaction from potential customers once they finalize their pricing?

I'm not making any accusations or wild claims... just want to get your opinions :) . I can afford the new data plan due to a corporate discount, but I wonder if they might make some last minute changes to their pricing (include texting?) after seeing the wholly negative reaction from Rogers customers.

2. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

ok for one we are not getting ****ed as bad as canadians ..and it WILL include 200 text messages and 10$ more a month is not bad for 3g connectivity ..people need to stop complaining ...also if you want faster internet at your house you have to pay more Don't you..and i dont see anyone here boycotting anything over 10$ measly dollars a month

3. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I agree with you that a lot of people are whining about the price of the new iPhone voice/data plans but its not a "NEW" plan. Its the same plan for every other Smartphone.

I could completely understand the uproar if AT&T charges more for the iPhone plan than the other Smarphones but they are NOT. Its the same as others.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Vegan TJ, I think you need to calm down ... :eek:

But I do agree -- the iPhone plans from AT&T are within the realm of reasonable compared to plans that include 3G data services via AT&T for other phones or for the other major 3G US carriers, which customers have accepted for some time). That's qualitatively different from the situations in Canada (where there are no reasonable data service plans for 3G or even 2.5G devices, really, at all, and the plan proposed by Rogers generally asks people to pay a lot more than they've ever paid for their phone before, or else asks them to use their phone a lot less than they have), or the situations in Sweden, Norway, etc (where there are reasonable plans for 3G data services and the iPhone plan is completely out of the water in comparison to them).

Whether or not the iPhone plans for AT&T 3G include SMS bundling, they're still basically reasonable compared to AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint's current offerings at 3G. Can you do a lot better at EDGE? Sure, T-Mobile on EDGE is MUCH cheaper than AT&T On 3G. But it's EDGE and not HSPA.

5. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vegan TJ, Really?

1: I know we aren't getting screwed "as bad". In fact, I said that in my original post.

2: Where is your source that says 200txt will be included with data? I follow MR and other tech blogs pretty closely, and I haven't seen that yet.

3: You've missed the point. Sorry, try again.

Steve said he wanted to make the iPhone more affordable. Granted, I can afford the extra $$/mo, but in the long run Apple has made the iPhone more expensive than even the 2G iPhone when it first came out. With all of these expensive data plans we're seeing from around the world, and the negative reaction from their respective countries, do you guys think AT&T is worried about losing customers and/or dealing with negative press when the masses see their data plan rates?

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's been almost three weeks since AT&T announced the iPhone data plan price.

If there was going to be a similar reaction, it would have already happened.

I don't think that Americans had the expectation that the iPhone would come into their country and revolutionarily reshape how their carriers charge for data, unlike the Canadians.

No, because if you don't like AT&T's data plan rates, your only choices are to switch to T-Mobile or get a Sprint SERO account (which 99% of regular folks haven't heard about). Verizon and Sprint charge $30/month for unlimited smartphone data, just like AT&T does.

7. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

my source is AT&T erie pa phone # 814-868-2355 i called yesterday

yes in the long run you are paying alittle more BUT you Do get more features so thats understandable ..AND i would rather pay 10 more a month over time than to pay the full 400$500$ at once wouldnt you?

8. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I don't think they're worried about it at all. Some may complain but the vast majority will go along in the end, swallow that slightly bitter pill so they can continue using their shiny new iPhones. Apple is planning on building 17 million iPhone 3Gs in 2008 alone, so I don't think they're worried either.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Or perhaps, we had those dreams, but they've come and gone with the original iPhone. Before the iPhone, there was a lot of discussion of revolutionizing cell service -- Apple using an MVNO, selling their phones completely unlocked to carrier and unsubsidized, and otherwise improving satisfaction with purchasing cell service. But once Apple inked a deal with AT&T, we consigned ourselves that none of this would happen anytime soon.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

I have a gut feeling that most people view the situation like Vegan TJ.

Although I do, and obviously you and some other MacRumors folks do too, I don't think that most consumers are going to even bother to figure out what the total cost of ownership for the iPhone 3G is, must less compare it to the TCO of the original iPhone.

11. elbirth macrumors 65816

actually no, I would rather pay $400 or $500 at once and not pay more over time. The extra $10-$15 per month could be spent on a number of things, although granted it's not much. But if you actually try to spend your money wisely, you pay attention to that sort of thing and every little bit helps. Heck, that money could be put into a high yield savings account every month.

12. airlights macrumors regular

I don't understand these complaints about at&t's iPhone plans. They are perfectly fine and in limits of their other smartphone plans!

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Its not included with the data but it is included with the voice plan. This has been discussed several times so I am suprised you didn't see it.

I don't think ATT is really screwing us but the pricing will but a damper on sales. If corporate customers buy iphones by the truckload nothing will change. If the iPhone remains a consumer device, ATT will need to change their pricing.

14. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

really? i'm on a familytalk plan and my iphone is one of the $9.99 additional lines. will i be receiving those 200 txt messages?

15. joekun macrumors regular

And yet my home internet service costs less than $30/month for mid-tier DSL speeds.

While I agree I would rather pay the up front cost and have a smaller monthly payment, you could also take the $200-300 you're saving on the phone and put that into a high yield savings account.

16. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

yeah but thats HOME internet not IPHONE internet

17. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

thank you!!! :D

18. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Sprint charges $15 a month for unlimited data. And if I upgraded to a simply everything plan without unlimited minutes I could save a bit of cash myself.

On this bill they call it the Vision Pack which includes unlimited internet access for all of their phones.

The big thing that I love about Sprint is that they don't differentiate between smartphone and regular phones, they are all just phones.

If I went with the iPhone, I'd be paying more per month for less services, so I am one of the persons that would love to protest AT&T's outrageous pricing, but there are other options besides AT&T so it wouldn't be justified.

p.s. My bill is a little higher than normal since I pay for each and every text message I send, and the 10% discount only takes away $6.20. Either way, I get unlimited data for less than AT&T, and insurance and service and repair which AT&T doesn't even offer.

Attached Files:

19. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I would like to see ATT come out with a really aggressive price program for the iphone like they did last year. I think if they kept the pricing the same as the first generation phone, it would help sales. People are not stupid and see the writing on the wall concerning 1/2 price Iphone....ATT more than makes up for it.

20. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The part that pisses me off the most is that they could certainly do so, and could even go one step further and do it for all of their smartphones. But why would they do it if people are flocking to their services and paying more for what they would get for a good deal less somewhere else.

21. joekun macrumors regular

Oh, thanks for clarifying, I didn't realize :rolleyes:

I'm willing to pay the price for 3G iphone service, but I find home internet service to be more valuable so if I had to make a choice I would go with home internet over mobile internet.

I'm currently with Sprint and when I was considering my options for my next phone a few months ago I called and asked about their blackberry service, they told me $50/month in addition to my voice plan.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

They don't appear to offer that to new subscribers anymore.

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Very interesting, I picked up that plan at the beginning of February (extending my contract in the process :mad: ).

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

$30/month for a data plan on cell phones is crazy for this reason: They have ZERO flexibility.

At home through AT&T, you can get 1.5Mbps DSL for I believe $32. It's unlimited, and we use it waaaaay more than a 3G cell phone connection. If AT&T wants to charge $30 for unlimited data use, OK, I kinda get that. But why not offer some tiered data? They don't start voice plans at $99 for unlimited, so why data? They should also not charge everybody the same if they're nowhere near a 3G zone. This literally is the same thing as charging the same for 200kbps as you are for 1.5Mbps. That's a jack.

25. shecky Guest

shecky

hold on....

where has this been discussed? links?