With Time Machine, do I have to initially back up entire computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sweenona, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Sweenona macrumors member

I've been wanting to continually back up some files with time machine for a little while now, mainly just my music collection and word documents. The problem is, my iMac's HD is 500GB (and nearly full) and the biggest external drive I have is 250 GB.

I only want to continually back up a few files and would prefer not to buy a brand new hard drive, so my question is this:

Is it possible to use time machine to only back up a few specific folders and not my entire computer? I've looked into it and all I've found anyone saying is that I can back up the entire computer and then choose a few files to exclude in the back up instead of just backing up a few files period. Also, I am wondering if it is possible to avoid the initial backup of the entire computer, as my 250 GB drive is obviously not up to the job.

I hope that made some semblance of sense. Any and all feedback is appreciated, thanks!

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You can exclude any folder or folders and as many as you like. For example, you could exclude folders with ripped DVDs, as long as the remaining folders are less than 250 GB. I'd recommend not to exclude the system folder and applications folder, so if your internal drive breaks completely you can restore your system completely. Long term you should really invest in a bigger external drive.