With today's announcement...are people losing trust with Apple on the next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Mar 18, 2014.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

In my opinion. It seems that apple is very lost at the moment. Like confused on what to do next and they are out of control with product releases and prices and stuff. Kinda happens with greed. The iPhone 4S was the last high quality iPhone but I am feeling that the iPhone 6 won't be as great as the rumors say. It might still have outdated tech on a late 2014 phone. It might have new sensors and other things but the quality and the experience counts more. iOS 7 is great in some ways but it was the most buggiest and slowest OS that apple has released.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I disagree with both your premise and your conclusions, but you are entitled to your opinion... as I am to mine

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Todays "announcements" are that a cost-reduced iPhone 5c is going to emerging LTE markets, and the iPad 4 is replacing the iPad 2. I'm not sure how that means things are "out of control" or that Apple is "lost." If anything, it means Apple realizes that less expensive alternatives are necessary in certain markets, and that it's time to ditch some aging tech by selling more up to date products at similar price points... that's pretty far from greed to me.

It also seems to me like jumping the gun a bit to decide that a phone that isn't even being manufactured just yet is already behind the competition.

I guess this is par for the course though: there've been lots of people who claim the iPhone has been outdated or boring since the 4S. For some, Apple can do no right now that Steve Jobs is dead.

I could argue that I my 5S is leaps and bounds better than the 4S and I'd never consider going back, but I don't see the point... anyone could search the history of MR forums and see this argument has been rehashed, over and over.

But I will say this: if you feel Apple is "lost," then you should vote with your wallet and find a phone and platform that is less "lost." If you don't like what Apple is doing but keep using their products, you're only rewarding bad behavior. Why do that?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My first iOS device was a 16GB 1st gen iPod touch. My first iPhone was a 3Gs, then I upgraded to an iPhone 4s and on to an iPhone 5s. They're all great phones, I'd say that each one was better than the last. The 4s definitely had some flaws, including poor battery life and the tiny screen(i know the 5s isn't much better). The 5s has some flaws too, but overall it is a better device than the previous iPhones.

Every x.0 release of iOS has had bugs. I dislike certain things about iOS 7, but there are a lot of new features that it brings to the table.

This isn't the first time that Apple did something that disappointed all of the enthusiasts, but overall was good for the company.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

To which you're entitled of course. However what you feel isn't anything new, take the rest of your post and adjust it a bit and it matches stuff we see every few months and will continue to see in the future.

The thing to remember is Apple doesn't give a whit about techies. Their aim is to provide a good user experience for the average Joe. Sometimes that means new/cool technology, sometimes that means staying with tried and true.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

How is the iPhone 5/5s not high quality? Other than that, Apple releasing a 8GB iPhone 5c and bringing back the iPad 4 has nothing to do with anything you said.

7. noobinator macrumors 601

Slowly starting to look like a galaxy phone if they go big. Oh well.

8. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Today's announcement indicates Apple's intent to further break into emerging markets while producing items that still make sense. From a purely innovation standpoint, it's not a win for Apple but that wasn't their goal.

I don't think I would lose faith in the next Apple device until it comes out. It's hard to say they next iPhone stinks if it hasn't even come out. Yes, Apple's premium brand image suffers when they release 8gb phones in 2014 but I don't think they have hit the point yet where that alone hampers their ability to produce cutting edge products separate from their endeavor to dominate all market segments.

9. Felasco Guest

All these problems can be solved by joining the....

Just Say No To Cell Phones Revolution!!!

BONUS FEATURE: People can't bother you all day long and half the night no matter where you try to hide. :)

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

It's Apple's way of blanketing a wider market share. The legacy of the high-end iPhone (5S) will continue on. There are a lot of wealthy and technically savvy people wanting the latest, here in America, and are willing to drop $$$ on a phone without hesitation to price.

11. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I'd say this was long overdue (at least in tech time). Frankly, this is what I had expected Apple's line up to look like last year.

• iPhone 5s $199/$649+ (16+ GB)
    • iPhone 5 $99/$549 (16 GB)
    • iPhone 5c $0/$449 (8GB, Apple A5 - basically iPod Touch 5th gen with phone)

I realize the iPhone 5c has iPhone 5 innards but I just think the 5c would have gone over better if Apple had just supplanted the 2-year old 4S and went directly for the $449 price point.

12. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

In my opinion. It seems that apple is very lost at the moment. Like confused on what to do next and they are out of control with product releases and prices and stuff. Kinda happens with greed. The iPhone 4 was the last high quality iPhone but I am feeling that the iPhone 5S won't be as great as the rumors say. It might still have outdated tech on a late 2013 phone. It might have new sensors and other things but the quality and the experience counts more. iOS 6 is great in some ways but it was the most buggiest and slowest OS that apple has released.

Same old song every year. New records for iPhone sales set every year by Apple. What's the point of this topic again?

13. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I'm not sure the announcements change my opinion much. I don't think it bodes well for 32GB becoming the new base model. Which probably means there will be no 128GB model. That's a bit disappointing.

I feel like we go through this every year. Rumors and leaks start ramping up in February, we stew for 7-8 months getting our hopes up, then Apple releases something far short of expectations. Like they're releasing just enough to get by when we all know (or think) that they're capable of so much more.

So yeah, every year I'm disappointed but every year I buy. If I could throw more money at them to get what I want I would. That's what's kind of frustrating to me.

14. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

And then when you are in an emergency and you have no way of calling 911... :(

15. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Its not high quality. I have had many iphone 5's with dust in their camera lens, rattling sleep wake buttons (which is now normal) and a few that have bent.

The iPhone 4S was the perfect width, not to thin to thick. It felt very sturdy and solid in the hand. I hope Apple ditches the horrible iPhone 5 design and goes back to the 4/4S design with a larger screen.

Why am I wanting their older products nowadays? iOS 6, iPhone 4S, iPad 3/4. Seems after those products, Apple changed drastically and not for the better.

16. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

There always something for everyone. This 5c may not appeal to you but may for others. Apple could do it for people who don't need a huge storage.

Could be that they are trying to get rid of some stock.

17. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I'm almost certain that you'll get at least part of your wish with the iPhone 6. The 5/5S unibody frame is almost at the end of its life, and I think that the cheaper iPhones will stick with the plastic 5C-style exterior.

I don't think they'll go back to the 4/4S design though. A glass back is a bad idea IMO because it's just one more thing that can shatter. The 4/4S is also more difficult to service/repair than the 5/5S. I think the 6 will be different than the current speculation and renderings suggest.

Perhaps you have been unlucky with your iPhone 5 devices. The power button on mine rattles a bit, but other than that I have no complaints after 10 months. My 5 has been the most solid and dependable phone I've ever owned.

18. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Amazing how people made it before cell phones.

19. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Haha this is literally the best response possible to one of these threads.

20. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I loved the glass back. I wasn't one of the stupid people who always complained because they foolishly dropped it. It wasn't until the end I used it without a case and even then I was fine.

This is my opinion, but the iPhone 5/5S is the absolute WORST design Apple has ever created. That followed by the iPad Air design. I wish they would stop with this thinner is better crap. It's annoying. The 4S was beyond perfect.

21. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

And since it seems on iOS 7 they went more back to basics to make it and it had the the new aesthetic, the bugs were more noticeable. As far as actual usability I'd argue 6 was worse with Maps.

----------

I like the thinness in the 5/5S. I will say any thinner though is somewhat ridiculous. On the Air, considering they want people to use it often, etc, I can understand the push for thinness as thinner generally does equal lighter on electronics, but they are probably reaching the point of diminishing returns on thinness there too.

22. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I just want some thing like this to be the next iPhone 6.
    [​IMG]

I even like this concept too.
    [​IMG]

23. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

If the iPhone 5/5S is the worst Apple design ever....then why did 9 million were sold in 3 days of launch?

24. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Because nobody used it yet, duh! It wasn't until I first got my pre-order I soon realized this phone felt very cheap. Not to mention early batches had quality control issues.

You will not convince me black is white. The 5S is a decent phone, do not get me wrong. I just wish it wouldn't have come in the iPhone 5 form factor.

25. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I call BS. The iPhone 5s looked and felt almost exactly like the iPhone 5. People knew exactly what they were ordering and it still sold 9 million units on the first weekend. Compare this to the 5 million units on the first weekend for the iPhone 5.

Personally, I feel like the ugly plastic border around the screen on the iPhone 4/4s made the whole phone feel cheap. It yellowed horribly on the white models and was so easily gouged and scuffed. Additionally, the first batch of nearly every Apple product has quality issues, this isn't isolated to the iPhone 5 and 5s.