With today's new product announcement, what is the point for getting an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Mar 27, 2018.

1. hajime, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018

hajime macrumors 601

Hello, I bought the iPad Pro 12.9 and Apple Pencil recently within the return period.

One reason for getting the Pro is support for Pencil and the other reason is of the big screen size with high resolution. Given the new iPad is also compatible with Apple Pencil at 1/3 the price of the Peo 12.9”, what is the point of getting a Pro besides the screen size?

Also, what are the differences between Apple Pencil and Logitech Crayon? I don’t need pressure sensitive for PDF annotation.

2. CrystalQuest76 Suspended

it looks like the difference is the display quality.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

How much difference? It seems that initial impressions is that it is quite good. I mainly use it for pdf annotation so it might be good enough. Not sure if I would be comfortable viewing a smaller screen at lower resolution. Used to use 12"+ tablets for the past few years since the Galaxy Note PRO 12.2".

I went to the product page and compared the two. The just announced one's camera is less good.

I wonder if I should return the iPad PRO 12.9" and exchange for the new iPad 9.7" or wait until June and see how it goes. If Apple does not release iPAD PRO 12.9" 2018 in June, then we have to wait under September/October.

4. Jonathantuba macrumors regular

Jonathantuba

There is no connect for Smart Keyboard on the new iPad. I use the keyboard a lot more than the pencil, so would not consider anything other than the Pro - not to talk of the difference in size

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

I don't know if it is just me but on the iPad PRO 12.9" (and Samsung Galaxy Note PRO 12.2"), I feel very comfortable using the virtual keyboards. I could type comfortably and quickly using two fingers. I don't need to carry an extra keyboard in my case. Not sure if the typing experience on the smaller 9.7" is as good.

My impression is that given the limitations of iOS and unless one wants a 12.9" screen, it is better to just get the cheaper and seemingly equally good performance iPad 9.7" 2018.

Don't know why Apple does not put the ability to capture 4K videos on the specs. Perhaps the new one can't do it?

6. jcshas macrumors 6502

jcshas

Lack of a True Tone display is the only feature that would hold me back from purchasing the cheaper iPad vs. the iPad Pro. As a freelance photographer, I use my iPad Pro for photo edits and the color accuracy is better with the iPad Pro.

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Is iPad Pro good enough for photographer? I am thinking that I may exchange for the cheaper iPad 9.7 2018 and save the money for the up-coming MBP 2018. Assuming that Apple will replace the butterfly keyboard with something like those pre-2016 ones.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There is also no laminate display either on the 2018 9.7 iPad. Which can be problematic for those under certain lighting conditions with reflectivity.

9. hajime, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018

hajime thread starter macrumors 601

I read somewhere that IOS 12 would be announced in June but won't be available until September/October. Is this true? Given that, how likely will the iPad PRO 12.9" 2018 be available in June instead of September/October?

I am trying to decide if I should return my iPad PRO 12.9" and get the iPad 9.7" 2018 next week. Or wait until June to see what happen and then decide. I can still return the product until the first week of June. Any suggestion?

10. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

I have a 12.9, which I love. I’m looking to update my Air 2, and I’d consider this one if it had ASK. But since it doesn’t, I’m holding out for the new 10.5 IPP.

11. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

What is ASK?

12. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Apple Smart Keyboard.

13. CrystalQuest76 Suspended

I use a thirdparty bluetooth keyboard connected to my iPad. It has more travel and angled. I bring it to meetings and type notes. Much faster and more accurate than handwriting.
    I am an old fashioned typist (learned on an IBM Selectric) so i prefer the inclined keyboard to the modern flat design.
    I think for most people (such as myself) this new iPad will meet their immediate and near future needs.

14. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Have you tried the SwiftKey app?

15. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Yes. I use that for my phone and on my Air 2. Not what I want for anything long.

16. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Does iPad 9.7" 2018 have True Tone? I cannot find this feature listed in the product website.

17. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

No

18. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

And Smart Keyboard connector

19. jcshas macrumors 6502

jcshas

I think the iPad Pro is an excellent tool for photographers. I use mine when traveling. Much easier to carry around than my 15” MPB.

20. Crow_Servo macrumors regular

Crow_Servo

Plus it has half the RAM of the Pro and smaller storage options.

21. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Is the amount of RAM stated anywhere on the product page?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2018 ---
    I like True Tone and have it on all the time. However, the price gap is so big that I can live without it.

22. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

Given that it’s using the A10 and not the A10X of the iPad Pros, at best it’d have 3GB but more likely the iPhone 8’s 2GB of RAM.

23. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks. Is there noticeable differences in performance between A10 and A10X?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2018 ---
    I don't need Smart Keyboard connector nor any keyboard. I am happy with the virtual keyboard.

24. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

In practice, what is good about laminate display? Don't know anything about it.

25. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Sounds like you've made up your mind then! You've seemed pretty stressed about your IPP well before this announcement.