Woah! iPhone Remote works on iPod Touch!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheSpaz, Oct 2, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

This is way cool! I don't know if anyone here has tried this yet but, I was fiddling with it last night and it's sooo freakin' sweet! Here's a web App for the iPhone but it works just as well on the iPod touch. Check it out!

http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/

You can stream music and even browse your Mac wirelessly for free!

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

Yep, I got this the other day... FREAKING AMAZING APP! You can even view a screen shot of your computer on your iPod/iPhone + if you tap the image once it will come up with a cursor with options to click, right click and drag. You can remotely control your computer kinda like VNC although much slower and kind of tedious. Still neat how it is able to do it all. It can also take pictures from your iSight camera and display them on the iPod/iPhone. And what's also awesome is you can use it remotely (via an external connection) if your forward your ports on your router correctly. It also views docs, excel, ppt, txt, maybe even .jpg files! Launch programs, the possibilities are endless. I'm kinda of upset to see nothing has been released since like July 15th. I want more of this great app! :)

3. daibach macrumors member

It's a great app. You can even open documents - Word, Excel etc., and view them right on your ipod Touch!

Worried about only 16GB? If you're in a wi-fi area you can stream all the video content stored on your home Mac.

Very cool.

4. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

5. adamsweeting macrumors regular

This is freakin' AWESOME!!!

I've tried it, and everything works a charm. I love the way you can control your desktop, see what iSight can see etc...

I've set up port forwarding on my router, so I am going to test if I can stream my content from home when in starbucks tomorrow.

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Me too! I've set up port forwarding and I hope to test it out tomorrow at the airport or in Florida! I can also log into the Terminal from a Mac and quit or start iPhone Remote.app ... sweet! I'm so glad I found this.... the reason why it's not new to some people is because it's been available for the iPhone for a while but, since I didn't have an iPhone, I didn't research this type of thing and now that I have an iPod touch, I found it while browsing www.hacktheipodtouch.com . Anyways... I can't wait to try it more.

7. Matteh117 macrumors regular

Awesome I thought this was an iPhone only thing.

8. adamsweeting macrumors regular

Port forwarding works fine.... This is groundbreaking for me!!

I am sitting in a wifi hotspot watching a movie on my Mac's HD. This has just turned my 8Gb iPod Touch into 608Gb!!

9. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

There is a lot to be improved.

Such as a streamline interface with my iTunes hierarchy; but this is going to be a GREAT piece of software with time.

Hell, I'd even pay for it.

Camera feature is hilarious; I was in the library looking at my iSight! How COOL! :D

10. adamsweeting macrumors regular

As an aside...

This means that you can also access your Mac from a PC (maybe at work for example).
    I just tried it with Safari using my work laptop, and hey presto - I could do stuff on my Mac from my work's LAN.

This rocks.

11. hourog macrumors newbie

Is it possible to work within an Excel spreadsheet i.e. cntrl-F for find/search?

If yes, then buying a touch is a done deal:)

12. dragonguy83 macrumors member

wow, this is so cool, can someone help me on how to play a movie from my computer? also any tips of the fowarding, i have a 2wire router. thanks guys

13. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

This is fantastic

I don't seem to be able to stream a movie, which I don't think you can personally right now, but it's great fun and the potential is awesome.

Just controlling iTunes using my touch from across the room puts a smile on my face!

14. depiction macrumors newbie

Sweet. Does anyone know of any versions that may be similar for Windows XP?

15. manram24 macrumors member

windows sucks get a mac
    windows always leaves us out of things so were returning the favour

16. nlivo macrumors 6502a

How is streaming videos? Does it go full screen? and also, if you were streaming a video does that mean it will be playing on the actual computer aswell????

17. sdmac macrumors member

I got the iphone remote to work on my touch. I can view pics, excel worksheets, word docs, .pdf files. Pretty much everything except my Itunes Library. I can browse my music and videos but when I click on one to open I get the following error - "Safari can't open the page because it could connect to the server" any ideas?

18. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

could someone help me set up the port forwarding? I am not illiterate w/ the computers, just I stay away from stuff like that haha more trouble than good they can do..

Just a simple guide would be awesome, thanks!

19. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You have to ENABLE the movie/music ability in the iPhone Remote application preferences from your Mac by selecting "Share Media Insecurely". Make sure the server ports and media ports use different numbers. I use 9090 for my Server port and 9998 for my media port. To forward these ports using Airport Admin Utility, just open Airport Admin Utility and select Port Mapping and map those ports to same local IP address as your Mac. Once you do that, you can go to www.ipchicken.com and get your outside IP address and you use THAT to get in... such as https://xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9090/ (I'm obviously not going to give you my IP address... hehe) I hope this helps.

20. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Also, make sure you install the extra apps from that website here http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis-tapps/ The Running Applications App is SWEET... you can remotely control any App using menu commands and even some window functions.... while you cannot view the App running you can quit it and restart it and do basic features with menu commands. Try it out!

21. haiggy macrumors 65816

I'm having troubles accessing it externally. The screen is black with no icons and at the bottom is says "[My Name's] Computer" Frustrating....

22. keirnna macrumors regular

keirnna

23. adamsweeting macrumors regular

Streaming video works great! Screen facility kicks ass. Lovin' this webapp

24. sdmac macrumors member

Thanks. I figured out the Enable box right after I posted the message and it works like a charm from my home network. However, I got to work this morning and logged on to my work wifi with the Itouch. I enabled iphone remote on the mac and tried to access my files with the touch. I get an error message saying "the server stopped responding". My server and media ports are different numbers but I can't figure out how to use port mapping with the airport admin utility. I assume this is why I am not able to access the files from outside my home network? When I open airport admin utility I see no option for port mapping?? Any ideas?

25. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

some advice please, i have set up port forwarding with bt home hub for port 5010 to goto 5010 on my imac, i then used ipchicken and typed my ipaddress xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5010 into safari while on my wifi network and i get the error : Safari cant open the page because it can't find the server, without the port bit tacked on the end it takes me to my home hub page, i don't know why its not working, please help!!!

lordjonny:apple: