Woke up and saw my screen scrambled :-O

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rrijkers, Apr 26, 2008.

1. rrijkers macrumors 6502

rrijkers

2. ricpac macrumors member

I just experienced this today, same situation--woke it up after sleep. My Feb '08 MBP is just less than a month. What could be causing this? We don't have any Apple Stores here in the Philippines though, just authorized resellers and service centers. I bought this from Best Buy late APR.

[​IMG]

3. rrijkers thread starter macrumors 6502

rrijkers

Wow, yours looks even worse. However a reboot seems to fix it. It has been my first and only time though. Maybe 10.5.3 fixes it too.

4. drewdeezee macrumors newbie

drewdeezee

I get that screen from time to time. I'm not sure of the root cause but I suspect it to be when I close the lid while VMWare Fusion is on and is configured with hardware acceleration. :mad:

5. amoda macrumors 6502a

I just got the same thing a few days ago.
    Woke up, woke it up and found that. Reset fixed it. No VMware or anything similar running.

[​IMG]

6. blackslayer macrumors regular

7. Screwball macrumors regular

That would actually make a very nice background for vintage machines

8. amoda macrumors 6502a

Aha, don't know about that. Too trippy for my tastes. Oh and it's not a penryn, it's Santa Rosa.

9. SASouth macrumors member

10. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Happened to me too, but only once (about 2 months ago). No problems in that field ever since..

11. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

I had the same problem about 18 months ago on my CoreDuo MBP. At first it seemed random, then it progressed and happened every time I'd open it up, so I took it in to the Apple store and then said my video card was dying. Thankfully it was under warranty, they fixed it asap and I haven't had any issues with the video card since. Maybe yours is different, but it looks very similar. Good luck.

12. rrijkers thread starter macrumors 6502

rrijkers

I posted this over a month ago lol, think it sure has a similar cause, dunno which one though. No VM ware no :rolleyes:

13. rev316 macrumors regular

Had this same problem.

Got sick of it. Sent it in for repair.

14. Shinigami-san macrumors newbie

I have a penryn MBP 17'' and i have had that screen like 5 or 6 times. And allways when it goes to sleep and comes back after more than 30 minutes

15. rrijkers thread starter macrumors 6502

rrijkers

This was my first and only time, Santa Rosa MBP, no Penryn

16. amoda macrumors 6502a

So is this a hardware thing I should be worried about? Is it the first sign of a dying graphic card or is it just a software glitch?

17. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

i had that and it was a faulty logic board. Happened once so I reset and it worked fine....Two months later same thing, then it was one month later, then one week later and finally the computer stopped working all together.

18. amoda macrumors 6502a

Urg, that's what I thought. So slightly off topic, but I originally had a 2.2 Logic board and the graphic card fried so I needed it replaced. They replaced it with a 2.6, if I go in again for another logic board would they replace it with a 2.2 or 2.6? Legally they're only obligated to replace it with a 2.2, since that's what I bought, right?

Edit: Another AppleCare question.

If they replace the Logic board it would take my repair number to 4x for this laptop (2x logic board, 2x screen (1x for faulty screen, 1x for faulty iSight) so would this laptop qualify for a replacement you think?

Also, if they do replace my laptop would I get a new 1 year warranty or does my old warranty (expiring in August) still count?

19. rrijkers thread starter macrumors 6502

rrijkers

I am gonna have my MBP in repair soon coz of a faulty optical drive. It does not burn no DL discs anymore. However, I had it replaced recently and the problem persists.

About the AppleCare extension, I have no idea...

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If it's once and you don't see it again, it's not a problem. But if it happens a few times, then it's hardware problem that need to be replaced.

Logic board replacement: not sure. Higher speed replacement is just a bonus, but they can show you that you bought only a 2.2. If they have 2.2 I think they would use it.

If replaced, it would be new and have 1 year warranty. But it's not that easy to get it replaced.

About DL disks, try a name brand or a different brand.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Try Verbatim; that works for me.

22. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I have a similar but somewhat different problem with my MacBook Pro. For reasons I will explain, though, I am pretty sure that it isn’t a hardware issue.

For sometime before I bought my MacBook Pro, in March, I had been having a problem with my old PowerBook G4. Occasionally, when I would attempt to wake it from sleep mode, the screen would stay black and the keys would be unresponsive. I imported the PB’s configuration to the new MB, although the PB is running version 10.4 of OS X, while the new MB is, of course, running 10.5. Now, this old familiar bug has periodically showed up on the MB, too, which leads me to suspect that it was imported from the PB. Usually I can fool around and get it out of sleep mode without a reboot but, every once in awhile, a reboot is the only thing that will work. I saw a thread about this specific problem not long ago but I can’t recall whether it was here, at the Apple site, or over at AVS Forum.

23. switcher3365 macrumors regular

OH NO! This just happened to me. I closed my MPB for the night, but then decided to open it up to do something I forgot to do, and my screen was scrambled like a TV with no cable.

I restarted the computer and it was fine. Hopefully that was a one time thing.

24. ricpac macrumors member

Happened again last night, #2! That's it. I'm definitely sending this in. I just wonder, I only experienced when I updated to 10.5.3. I got this with 10.5.2 installed and had no issues even with multiple closing and opening, sleeping and waking it up...

25. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I've had this happen on my 24inch Merom iMac - it has been an issue when I had Tiger, all the way up to Leopard 10.5.3. I think it's happened on and off when I've woken it up from sleep approximately 8 times.

Do you think I should take a photo of it for my records, then call up Applecare about it?

Has anyone encountered any issues on the Apple support site?