Woman hit by falling moose

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Raina Kumra was hit by a stuffed moose head that fell from the wall of a New York restaurant. It's funny to hear about, but I doubt it was funny to her. She's suing.

This news report is very lazy. They attached a photo of a random moose rather than showing us the one involved, or at least a stuffed one on a wall.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

First reaction::eek:
    Second::D
    3rd::confused:
    :p
    :rolleyes:

I wish something inconvenient would happen to me at a place owned by someone with money. That way I would never have to work!

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Ever since I saw a fake stuffed moose head in a toy store I've thought having one on the wall of our den would be a good joke. But maybe it's too dangerous!

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I wonder if I'll read about this in tomorrow's moosepaper?

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Snort!

I've always wondered about heads falling off walls. Funny, sad, and a bit scary at the same time. Getting hit by a big head like that has got to hurt.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

For some reason this makes me want to go and eat at that restaurant. :p

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

You think that is scary, a friend of mine's brother was nearly killed when they hit a big moose driving at night. It was because the moose was so big that they didn't die....

Northern Ontario, north of Superior. The car was a late 70's 4 door Mercedes - the ones build like a tank. They figure the moose crossed from the left behind an oncoming car, and because it was night the headlights from the oncoming car had blinded them so that the first they knew there was moose on the road was when it hit the leading edge of the roof.... that and the legs the hood of the car took out. But that is what saved their lives - if the moose had been shorter, instead of bouncing off the roof it would have come through the windshield and crushed them. They brought the car to a stop. Every window was blown out. The front of the car looked like it had hit two trees, one at each headlight (front pair and rear pair of legs each being one tree) and the roof was pushed back 6 inches, so all the pillars that hold the roof to the body of the car had been bent back.

They had the car towed back home where I saw it, and heard the story. Put the heebie jeebies into me, I can say. You do not want to hit a moose, especially a short one.

Oh, and they never found the moose. The animal control people were concerned it may have broken a leg and was suffering, but they tracked it about 10 miles and then figured it was OK.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That's an insanely resilient animal!

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

My uncle hit a moose in upstate NY just a few weeks after picking up a brand new Accord. One of the antlers went through the rear windshield between my cousin and her now-husband. :eek:

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Just get a FatHead moose.

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I saw a story yesterday about a deer shot with an arrow. It's still running around with the arrow near its eye. The arrow is being supported by an antler on the feathered end. The deer is doing fine. They are not going to attempt to tranquilize the deer to take the arrow out.

13. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I worry about stuff like this at restaurants, though I tend to think more about televisions improperly mounted to the wall falling and hurting someone. I always wonder how well that stuff is anchored in up there :rolleyes:

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Depends who put it up… ;)

[​IMG]

15. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Could that be Fawlty Towers (or am I totally off here)?

16. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Here in California the decorations in restaurants may be shaken loose by an earthquake at any time. Do you want to be sitting at a place like this when The Big One hits? That photo is from Washington DC but the same restaurant has locations on the west coast and decorates them the same way.

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Exactly correct, I was wondering how long it would take for the Faulty Towers link to come up.

I can speak English, I learn it from a book.

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'm sure that's the first thing a lot of people thought of. On first reading I could have sworn the thread title was "woman killed by falling moose" it's only when I read she was suing I realised my brain was on auto-pilot.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm waiting for YouTube video of the woman walking around with the moose head firmly lodged over her own head. Happens all the time in sitcoms.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What is she suing for, perhaps the world not being perfect? If she was hurt badly, then perhaps. However, if she just got a bruise or a small scratch, then I hope she's not suing for something silly, such as emoosional scarring. :eek:

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

22. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

23. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

In other news, Apple is considering suing the restaurant for infringing on their Magic Moose trademark.

Today's Izvestiya Technology section reports that "In Russia you multi-touch moose. In America, moose multi-touches you."

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Great show.

I'm wondering when Sarah Palin will come up.