Won Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AFPoster, Oct 21, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 68000

I was at a conference this week and I won this tablet. Its pretty sweet so far, but i still have a ton to learn. I own an iPad 2 and this device doesn't even come close without the apps and security. In saying that anyone have any suggestions for me using this?

Differences so far:
    No auto-spell check
    Issues connecting to Mac
    Doesn't charge when plugged (usb) to mac or pc.
    More things brain just isnt awake yet.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

DTMFA. It's too bad you already opened it. You could've maybe gotten the full refund price.

3. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

Samsung offers Kies's for Mac but it DOE'S NOT WORK, there is no way to mount it as a device to add pics and videos to the folders like older android tablets. So the only way to add content to it is to buy a PC so mine went back to Best Buy. The one thing I do love over the iPad2 is how the screen just POPS.

4. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 68000

I have paralles and boot camp so im good to go. The screen does pop but the touch is rough. Ill click one thing and it loads something else.

5. jake921660 macrumors regular

not 100% sure as i dont own one but the spell check might have something to do with the keyboard you are using. change the keyboard in settings and see if that helps.

also most tablets require a high powered usb to charge properly. with that being said the device may be slowly charging with a usb cable and not show the notification

6. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

You'll need Plex for Android if you want to stream movies for iTunes. Plex is a great program and works really well. Well worth the $4.99.
    Flash videos on the Galaxy look bad, at least on mine they did.
    Give it 2-3 days, the WOW factor will wear off really fast once you find out it's limitations.

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I've got one. If you don't have any experience with android be patient and give the tab some time get used to. I really enjoy mine. I'll assume you've set up a Gmail account and have access to the Market on it. In Settings/About have it check for updates, as mine updated shortly after I got it to Android 3.2.

Any specific questions feel free to ask.

8. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

HBO Go - how's it work on it? I understand there is no native app.

9. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Add that to the list of not quite ready for primetime.

10. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

That's a killer for me. I'd be open to trying a Android device, but so many things I take for granted w/ iOS are JUST - NOT - THERE.

11. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

If I already owned an iPad 2, I can't imagine what would possess me to do anything other than selling the Galaxy Tab for as much money as possible.

12. jsh1120, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Best to check before taking others' word for it, especially on an Apple site. There may, of course, be an issue on the particular device, but HBO Go is available on Android.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.HBO&hl=en

P.S. And according to the user reviews it works fine on the Galaxy Tab.

13. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

14. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I would gladly give my iPad 2 and take next version of Galaxy tab (one that might have Tegra 3). But there are few apps that must be available for Honeycomb first, such as Logten Pro and Foreflight.

My suggestion, test out Tab with an open mind. There are way too many Kool Aid drinkers here to give you unbiased suggestion

15. AllieNeko macrumors 65816

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 for the screen. It's beautiful. It makes the iPad screen look like a washed out piece of trash. I returned it the next day. Here's why:

1. Netflix is the phone app and is scaled up.

2. NO FULL SCREEN MODE FOR VIDEOS OR PICTURES - the notification bar is ALWAYS there (though it is darkened in things like YouTube optimized for honeycomb). This is due to no physical escape button. But GRRRR....

3. No Hulu, even with the Flash player they block the site. (To clarify HULU blocks Android, not vice versa)

4. The web browser isn't very good. Why not port the excellent Google Chrome? Fonts all render the same and the whole thing feels "made for a phone" and scaled up

5. Amazing lack of app support. Developers just aren't making Honeycomb apps. This was the biggie.

But one thing I never, ever thought was "this looks/feels like an iPad" - both the software and hardware are VERY, VERY different.

16. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I agree with you on everything except the screen. I've owned the Galaxy, Thrive and the Xoom. IMO, none of them held a candle to the iPads screen. I do like the resolution of the Samsung though.

17. AllieNeko macrumors 65816

The resolution isn't that different, the real beauty of the Samsung screen is it's color gamut is far wider. The iPad screen is better calibrated though (especially the white point being much closer to D65), but it looks VERY washed out due to the poor gamut.

18. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

This is interesting, because the reviews state the while the Tab has much better and deeper looking colors, the iPad has colors that look more natural. White screen on the Tab appears too white, while the iPad gives off a more natural white. Not my words here, just regurgitation from reviews I have read.

In the end, the reviews are more favorable for the Tab because of their depth and vibrancy, but I wouldn't call the iPads screen washed out. And I would expect Samsung to produce a screen with awesome colors, if they didn't I would be worried, since they are known for producing tv's with outstanding displays.

19. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Point well taken. Ever notice that HD displays in the store tend to be tuned to cartoons? There's a reason for that. The colors of animated content tend to be highly saturated and vibrant, far more than real life. Such displays tend to grab the attention of shoppers. If your favorite show is Family Guy the most saturated and vibrant colors are great. But if you're watching a Merchant/Ivory movie, England is likely to look like Southern California.

20. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

I LOVE my Galaxy Tab. Bought for the current deployment I'm on. I use Keys on my Mac Book. Was able to movie movies over to the tab. Battery is killer on this thing. I had a 18 hour flight here and watched a few movies. I do say the screen is rather nice.

21. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Couldn't care less. I don't do HBO.

22. AllieNeko macrumors 65816

Not really sure how white could be "too white" - the difference is the color temperature or "white point" - it's too blue, but not too white - the iPad is calibrated very close to D65 (6500K, on the higher end of the range natural daylight). The Galaxy Tab is set at about 8400K, which is much more blue (on the very blue end of natural daylight).

Also, the color calibration is very over-saturated - this is not the same as the gamut. The larger gamut is GOOD. The excessive saturation isn't - it pushes neutral less saturated colors into the outer edges of the gamut.

Both of these are software things (display panel calibration). The iPad is calibrated to be much more natural. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is calibrated to "show off" the color capabilities of the display more. Thus, for any serious art, the iPad is better.

But wait, didn't I just say I loved Samsung's display more up above? Yes, I did. In the real world, compromises are made. The most accurate calibration is not always the best looking. These tablets ALL have poor displays by any objective standard. By pushing the color saturation, Samsung makes the overall effect LOOK like a much better display than it is for most real-world images. They tweak it to get the best looking overall color, rather than necessarily the most technically accurate.

23. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Wow. You're asking questions about an Android tablet in an iPad forum section... makes sense. :rolleyes:

24. kaizenmx macrumors regular

Keep it. It's worth it.

At least, use it to watch flash embed videos on websites or play flash games, since ipad is incapable of doing any flash related things.