Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xerxes75

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2015
I downloaded El Capitan - it installed itself on the hard disk. After that my network connection (wireless broadband via USB dongle) no longer worked. I contacted the ISP (Telstra in Australia) and was informed that the plug-in USB modem was incompatible with El Capitan. It was suggested I should buy a stand-alone modem, etc. Instead I uninstalled El Capitan, reinstalled Yosemite (from my Time Machine disk) and I was back on the internet. Hope this helps someone.

luchid

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
I downloaded El Capitan - it installed itself on the hard disk. After that my network connection (wireless broadband via USB dongle) no longer worked. I contacted the ISP (Telstra in Australia) and was informed that the plug-in USB modem was incompatible with El Capitan. It was suggested I should buy a stand-alone modem, etc. Instead I uninstalled El Capitan, reinstalled Yosemite (from my Time Machine disk) and I was back on the internet. Hope this helps someone.

You should really get a better, standalone modem. Staying on an outdated OS and missing out on a ton of features and performance improvements makes no sense.

stevjo747

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
Had the exact same problem.
Restaria VRAM worked out like magic.
Restart you computer press and hold "command + option + P + R" the moment you hear the boot sound (chime). Hold the keys till you hear the chime again.

Best of luck
Worked for me. too

Joshuart

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2016
Try this. Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete the following (suggest you make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
com.apple.nat.plist

Restart and test
[doublepost=1471628838][/doublepost]Bless you, sir. Your solution worked immediately

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.